Software
Houzz Logo Print
cowhorncreek

Pop Up Ads on Gardenweb

The opt out that previously stopped these adds from popping up seems is no longer be working for me. I went to the site about the opt out and the links no longer work.

Does anyone know how we can opt out at the current time? I try my hardest not to touch a green word link with the cursor, but that is not always possible. The popups are extremely annoying.

These popups are not from the internet as a whole, only from Gardenweb.

Comments (26)

  • 11 years ago

    I don't have annoying ads. I use Adblock Plus which you can download free at the link below. Just select the one for the browser that you use.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Adblock Plus

  • 11 years ago

    Me too... AdBlock Plus, no ads on any site!

  • 11 years ago

    Please consider donating to Adblock. It's a free service (and a wonderful one) funded totally by donations. If everyone donates a small amt of $, it will ensure they survive.

    I do not feel bad about not seeing the ads...there is no way I would buy anything advertised in such an obnoxious way. I wish GW could find a happy medium for advertizing - things GW users would be interested in, presented in a user friendly way.

  • 11 years ago

    Why won't my Mac allow me to install Adblock Plus? Says there is no application for it.

  • 11 years ago

    Tibbrix, I installed Adblock plus this morning on my mac. I just googled it and there was a link to download for either Chrome or Safari. I have Safari so that's the one I downloaded. I haven't been on GW again until now, but it appears to be working. Now if I could figure out the same for my iPad.

    website I used is adblockplus DOT org

  • 11 years ago

    I installed Adblock Plus on my mac yesterday and it stopped the stupid GW popups! I use Safari. I went to the Safari pull-down menu and selected Safari Extensions. That took me to an Apple page of available extensions (whatever that means). I scrolled down to Adblock Plus (I mistakenly installed Adblock without the Plus first) and clicked on it. It installed quickly and without any required contortions. Yippee!

  • 11 years ago

    I just installed adblock plus and for the first time in weeks I am enjoying GW again.

  • 11 years ago

    Knocking on wood, Today has been the first time in many weeks that I am not seeing pop-ups. I have not installed anything new in the last 2 weeks. Am not running any Adblock anything. Still using Safari on an iPad Air.

    I thank who or what made them disappear!

    ML

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you, thank you, thank you Fourkids!

    That was the key! No more pop ups! yay!

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you so very, very much. Adblock seems to be working to do away with those annoying popups. I did have one popup, but not 8 or 10. I am going to also download for other browsers that I have installed. Again, thank you so very much y'all.

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks! Adblock is working for my Apple in Safari, as well, and finally I can read the discussions at GW without all those annoying pop-ups!

  • 11 years ago

    I keep meaning to install adblock on this computer but havent done it yet. I agree with the previous poster - havent seen any pop up ads here today - wonderful!

  • 11 years ago

    Well, sad to say, the good experience with AdBlockPlus lasted about an hour. It was driving me crazy, so I did as
    socks12345 advised she was instructed to do per Gardenweb (posted below). Well that just messed my computer up big time and I am just now getting it back to working correctly. In addition, those instructions did nothing to stop the ^%@#&* popups. Don't know what I am going to do, those forever, continuous popups are driving me crazy.

    "I apologize for any inconvenience these ads as have caused you. We appreciate getting feedback from our members, and I have reported the pop-up issue to our community manager .
    In the meantime, you should be able to opt-out of the in-line (green underlined) texts by following these instructions:
    1. When you're on a GardenWeb page, hover your cursor on the double-underlined word, but don't click it. You will see an advertisement open in a pop-up box.
    2. In the upper-left corner of the box, click the 'V' logo. A new browser window will open the Vibrant in-text advertising page.
    3. Scroll partially down this page, and click the 'Disable' tab. Click 'Click here to disable.' The page should update to now say 'Click here to enable.'
    4. Close the Vibrant in-text advertising browser window, then once you refresh your main browser window the Vibrant in-text advertising should disappear."

  • 11 years ago

    FWIW, Ad Block Plus gets installed on the BROWSER, not the computer. I did it for Chrome on my Mac; it was free & only required a click...

  • 11 years ago

    I installed Adblocker Plus on Firefox today. It is so sweet not to see those stupid ads popping up.

  • 11 years ago

    Adblock Plus works well on my laptop. No ads, ever. My ipad is a different story. Ads and pop ups galore. Now I can't even sign in to GW on my ipad. I've tried six ways from Sunday to get back in and it just keeps bumping me back to the sign on page.

    I give up.

  • 11 years ago

    Another big THANK YOU from me! I was starting to avoid gardenweb forums because of those dirty rotten $*&%(^*$ pop-ups. I hope this is a permanent fix.

    I tried clicking on the V on the pop-up, it did open another tab, but my WOT said it wasn't a trustworthy site so I closed it.

    Thanks again!!

  • 11 years ago

    Dedtired are you by any chance using a keyboard app like say SwiftKey instead of the native keyboard? If so change back to the native keyboard and try signing in. I have run into this problem repeatedly when using my Android device and SwiftKey keyboard or other keyboard apps. As soon as I switched back to the original native keyboard it signed in just fine.

    Remember that there are copycat programs that try to fool you into getting them because they have a name very similar to the real thing.
    It is Adblock plus not anything else or similar. It will have an icon that is a red stop sign with ABP in it. There's a version for just about all the major browsers just select the right one for the browser you use.
    There should not be any messing up your computer by simply adding Adblock plus to the browser. However if you accidentally got one of those other sound alike programs that installed on your computer you very well may have some problems because some are malware. If you had that happen go to control panel and all programs and remove it from there.
    The real thing is at adblockplus.org
    I always recommend making sure that you have the easylist filter added to the filter preferences in the adblock plus settings and in the settings area uncheck the option to allow some types of ads.

  • 11 years ago

    Knock on wood! Olychic - thanks for noting about donating!

  • 11 years ago

    I sent GW a complaint on Sunday. After not receiving any word from them I went the AdBlockPlus route today. Thing is, I don't mind all ads. I know sites need revenue. Those in message popups are just too much though.

  • 11 years ago

    the advice from walnut creek and socks does not work and in fact opens a link to allow cookies that many of us prefer to not allow. GW needs to remove the pop up advertising bs or risk the loss of membership - plain and simple !

  • 11 years ago

    I've not had them for a few days and did nothing. Maybe GW got wise.

  • 11 years ago

    If I had more money, I'd send them $500!!!

    I've had Ad-Block+ for a few yrs. now, within the Firefox-for-Windows browser I like!! I don't care for IE or Yahoo.
    Firefox is neat IMO, 'cuz I sometimes use different "Peanuts"-themed skins across the top. I still have a "Great Pumpkin" skin in use!!

    ....can't remember the last ad I've seen!!

    My laptop will be 2yrs old this summer. Still love it... a big-screen Dell Inspiron 5720 w/ 8Gigs RAM & a Terabyte HD.

    Faron

  • 11 years ago

    Raven, thanks for the tip, but as far as I know I only have one keyboard on my ipad. I wouldn't even know how to use anything else.

    My laptop has a blue shield on the top right corner that says ABE in it. I always thought that was the popup blocker. What the heck have I got?

  • 11 years ago

    Dedtired I bet you have adblock edge see if this is it

    Here is a link that might be useful: Edge

  • 11 years ago

    I have installed nothing nor changed anything but the ads have not popped up this week at all for me.
    SO NICE.