Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Fabric layout help.

11 years ago

I'm making a roman shade for my kitchen window. It's going to have to be an inside mount. Unfortunately, there's just not enough room to do a proper outside mount no matter how I try and rig it because of the cabinet crown and window trim.

The window opening is 28"W x 35"L. The toile print is quite large and offset. After doing a mock up with scrap fabric, the main drop will only be about 10" at the most. Which layout do you like best? I will be adding trim in the plaid chair fabric if you've followed any of my threads.

The off-white cut out is the blackout liner cut to proper dimensions.
An overall look. Eyeballing, I believe this dog is in the middle.
{{gwi:2139943}}

Some fun mock ups. I'm showing where roughly 10" would fall for the main drop. I'll have an 1" hem on each side.
Opt . 1
{{gwi:2139944}}

Opt. 2
{{gwi:2139945}}

Opt. 3
{{gwi:2139946}}

Opt. 4
{{gwi:2139947}}

I think I like #2 the best.

Thoughts? Something else? Thanks!

This post was edited by sheesharee on Wed, Feb 4, 15 at 2:58

Comments (21)

  • 11 years ago

    I like 3

  • 11 years ago

    Now, I don't like 3, because it looks like those poor birds are about to be goners! I'm ok with hunting, but the killing part is hard on this girl. : ) I think I like Option #2.

  • 11 years ago

    I like #2

  • 11 years ago

    What is on the right of your window? On the left? The options with the dogs in the center are quite directional. I like those the best, unless they point toward something you don't want highlighted.

  • 11 years ago

    I like the look of one scene centered on the shade. I like #3 as it has more detail, birds and dogs. #1 is nice, not as much to look at and #4 don't really care for the view of the dogs walking away and their hind ends....Beautiful fabric, I am sure whatever you choose will be a lovely addition to your room.

  • 11 years ago

    Now that I have seen your kitchen in the other thread, I like 3, then 4.

  • 11 years ago

    Laughable - Yeah, me too. I eat meat but don't think about it!

    Kitchendetective - Kitchen cabinets are on both sides. Here's where it will go.
    {{gwi:2139940}}

  • 11 years ago

    P. S. Only thing I don't like about 3 is the far, far left. Dog's head is being cut off. I do like the direction being more toward where you cook and where you eat than where you wash dishes.

  • 11 years ago

    Hmm..
    1 has the smallest pattern and I originally thought that would be best because it showed more of the color around. I'm not sure that really matters.

    Remember the sides will be hemmed, plus I'll have trim.

    The thing with 3 that was giving me pause is the birds are centered. I like pheasants, but feel like the fabric is more about them instead of the dogs on this one.

    Lots of good points. I'm still not sure which one. I might have to try each pattern with mock up folds and see if that makes a difference to me.

    I also should have mentioned this will be a faux roman. I will be able to adjust the length once done, but I plan to keep it in this more up position because I want most of the window clear.

  • 11 years ago

    I like #4 best and #3 next. Something about #2 and the opposing directions the dogs are facing bothers me.

  • 11 years ago

    I'd pick 3 or 4, the other two don't seem to have a focal point. With 3 and 4, it looks like some thought was given to placement and I think that gives a greater sense of elegance to the final piece :-)

  • 11 years ago

    I like 1 or 3.... The pattern on these two seems the most balanced.

  • 11 years ago

    #3 looks the most balanced to me, then #4.

  • 11 years ago

    After looking at the fabric and measuring the patterns again, I'm going to go with #3.

    1. - I like these dogs a lot. Would prefer the dogs looking toward the stove direction as mentioned. Even with hems and trim, I'm going to have dog butts on the left side. - That was the deciding factor for me here.
    2. - I think the uneven staggered pattern will bug me once up.
    4. - Looking at four, I think I could move it to the left more to better center the pattern, but I honestly like the print of #3 better.

    Sewing tonight. Say a prayer, please. :)

  • 11 years ago

    Yay! #3 is my favorite. Can't wait to see it finished :)

  • 11 years ago

    Good luck with your roman shade project. I’m in the process of making three of these myself for my kitchen windows. I thought you might benefit from this great tutorial, just in case you needed more help with lots of photos to work from!

    Here is a link that might be useful: Roman shade tutorial

  • 11 years ago

    Nanny - Thank you for the link! That's one of the many I have saved. I thought hers was very helpful with all the photos and details. I'm betting the details of your will be much nicer/neater than mine! :)

  • 11 years ago

    Wooooo, tell you what - this is a lot harder than what I thought getting the fabric cut right. I don't have a bunch of cuttings mats, but broke out the laser level. Works perfect and should have thought of it for past projects.

    I messed up the hem line for the top. Got about two cuts in and realized it. I think I can make that still work. What went even worse was what I determined was the 'correct' middle of the picture isn't actually the visually pleasing middle. So now I'm adjusting hems to make up for it. There's all kinds of rigging up going on over here, but I think I can get it to work.

    I figured this was going to be one of those projects I'd have to work on a little, mock up, and keep adjusting. I may end up changing the type of (faux) roman I make because of the pattern.

    I also don't know if I'm even going to use the sewing machine. I think fabric glue may end up working better for this one.

  • 11 years ago

    Your process reminds me of all of my past sewing projects and how I learned something new from each one.

    Your attitude is great. Sounds like you hit some difficulties along the way and you are figuring out unique ways to adjust.

    Once in a while, I have to walk away from a project (for an hour or a couple days) and give myself some time to think of alternatives.

    Hang in there.

  • 11 years ago

    As a huge Pointer fan, I like #3 the best. It shows them doing their job which is merely pointing which is a beautiful sight to behold! lol.

    We didn't hunt but enjoyed many hours just watching them point.

    BTW, Pointers make the best house dogs ever. :)

  • 11 years ago

    Laurie - Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm not sure you would have thought my attitude was great if you would have seen me that night. :)

    Oakley - Do you mean #1? I like the dogs from #1 the best (& so did DH), but for the size of the window and the pattern showing as a whole, I ended up going with #3.

    I did use the sewing machine. I added a blackout liner and it's really quite heavy. I basically sewed a rectangle and left a pocket for a tension rod at the top. Added two other tension rods below and layered the fabric through. I should pick up longer tension rods. They're up for now, but kept falling while I was trying to fluff.

    With all the measuring and mock ups - remeasuring...It's still not the exact width of the window. No idea how. Sadly, I did not add the houndstooth plaid trim. There would have been a lot of cutting and pattern matching, and I'm not confident I could do it well. I also knew if it wasn't the exact width you'd see the tension rods - which looks terrible, IMO. And that's what I have going on currently. I'm going to add a solid brown ribbon/trim to the edges and bottom to take care of it. There's brown trim on the shades of the chandelier. I considered just cutting (not on the bias) and attaching it to the front, but it's going to add to the thickness and I still may have to match and I'll have the corners to deal with - which are in your face while at the sink.

    I'm a little disappointed because I really liked the look of the fabric as a whole and you only see one scene. I also liked it better with an extra fold, but since the finished product is so thick, I'm not sure it will work. There's quite a bit of scrap fabric, but not enough to do anything with.

    I need to change out some art now. I have a duck print and a quail print near the shade and it feels way to hunt themey. (I rotate some art and gravitate toward animals prints.)

    If I had a do over, I'd use the faux roman/mini blind method. I didn't want to add holes by drilling anything and it looked like more work. I may have liked the final look better. I still would have added a black out liner so you wouldn't see the slats (you cut the one cord and remove most of the slats - google).

    Whine, whine I know. I'm going to walk away from it for about a week. I'm sure it will be fine, but I'll order more fabric and make another one if I'm still not happy with it.