Software
Houzz Logo Print
nemama

Would love help with dining room color and more furniture options.

11 years ago



Comments (8)

  • 11 years ago
    It looks as though you're not afraid of a bit of drama, given that wonderful giant mask. How about something powerful and dark, like Sherwin Williams Naval 6244? It would make a striking background for some of the art I see there.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hi Chiropali Before commenting on colour options, it would be wonderful if you could add a few more photos to get a better idea of the space in its entirety. Before choosing paint colours, it is really important to look at the fixed elements in the room or neighbouring rooms eg (fireplace stone, granite, floors) as well as the furniture, rugs, drapery etc. that will be sharing the space. Ultimately, you want to choose a paint colour which has undertones that work with all of these elements. This way you will achieve a cohesive pulled together, carefully planned looking space and not like you just pulled a colour out of a hat. Looking forward to those pics!!

    Regards,

    Deborah Soulier

    nemama thanked Soulier Design Studio
  • 11 years ago
    Hi Chiropali, furniture is nice. No need to change. The table vases with long sticks in them are too small for the floor. Consider removing. It's wonderful that chair rail molding already in place. How about a faux texture finish below it and a complimentary color above? Window shutters are nice. Paint to match wall color beside it. No need for drapes.
  • 11 years ago

    Hi, I've added more photos of living and dining. I have recently moved in to the house as you can tell, so am up for changing wall color and adding more furniture or accent pieces if recommended. Rina, I like your idea of dark blue wall but not sure how it'll look. Should that be for living and dining then?

    Deborah, I appreciate any advice. Currently walls are light grayish and neutral. I am willing to change walls and add furniture or wall paper. We have mostly persian rugs, so havent yet decided which rug to put in dining room, or maybe not to use any. I'd love a server, but because of the large table there is not much space left.

    And David, the brass vases are 2 feet high, so maybe too high for dining table? I have simply kept them in the corners for now, but will move them around. And what do you mean by faux texture finish...paint only? Or a textured wallpaper? You think i should paint the shutters the same color as wall?





  • 11 years ago

    I would paint the living room a soft gold matched to the gold in your rug, then paint the top of the dining room the next lighter color on the color chip. Then you could use a nice French Blue on the bottom. Leave the shutters the same color as the trim, and add drapery panels at either end of the window for softening.

    Smith & Noble

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Chiropali, you have some really great pieces here! I have to agree with carolbrandywine. I like the current colour of the livingroom as well but If you are still really wanting to add some colour you could pull out a couple of colours from the artwork for cushions, accessories etc . which will pull everything together. You could also paint the wall above the fireplace, since this is the focal point of the room, with a bold colour (one of the ones from the artwork) or a darker version of what is on the walls. This same colour could be repeated in the diningroom for some drama and ambiance. The key to keeping the space looking sophisticated/calm is not using too many colours, no more than 3 is the general rule otherwise it starts to look somewhat schizophrenic. Hope this helps you.

    Regards,

    Deborah

    nemama thanked Soulier Design Studio
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hi Chiropali, I will advise you to add some pieces of furniture in both sides of the table where you putted 2 decorative vases. I would manage some box-like furniture with doors downside and empty space upside so you can keep your vases there. What about colors, I think you have quite calm and soft interior so there is no need to add brightness or contrast, hang the vibrant paintings and everything will be managed and nice.