Software
Houzz Logo Print
rhizo_1

Question for the 'Regular' contributors

I've noticed a real slow down in this forum since the changeover to the new format.

I theorize that newbies, the lifeblood of this forum, will take one look at this website and run away. The appearance sure doesn't even hint at anything but a Houzz commercial site.

Any thoughts about this?


Comments (16)

  • 11 years ago

    Yep, I've thought the same thing...that the change-over is running away old mainstays and making it less likely to attract new ones also.

    They may iron out the complaints/problems, but I wonder if the overall vitality won't be so impeded that GW just fades away.

    I posted a question today..though I seriously wondered if anyone will end up answering it, or if I should have posted somewhere else.

    As a horticultural degree holder and a life-long gardener, that's my thoughts on the matter.

  • 11 years ago

    hey rhiz .... its the dead of winter for at least 60 to 70% of us ...


    doesnt seem much worse than the usual slow down from xmas thru about march ...


    you upper zone peeps get a jump on us in late feb.. but crikey ... they are predicting a high of 8 in the next day or two.;.. with wind chill ... if it is a dark grey day ... SAD is not going to be having me post my brains out ... seasonal affective disorder ...


    smart but barron has a hort degree ... go figure on that ... i thought you were just a card ... lol ... edumacated and a sense of humor.. my kind of peep ....


    ken




  • 11 years ago

    Well, I was over on the Houzz discussions side (ducking and covering, lol) and found someone with questions about his or her new fiddle leaf fig, so like a carny shill I sent him or her over to the GW Houseplants forum. I think people who found GW before by internet browsing will still be able to find it because the urls are still there, but I do wish that the Garden forums had a presence on the Houzz homepage.

    Ken, I found a picture of an eggyolk sunrise over a bacon landscape that I wanted to post here for you, but it's too big and I don't know how to make it smaller so you will just have to try to see it in your mind's eye.

  • 11 years ago

    Ken, it's going to get that cold HERE, later on this week! It'll be the second time this winter that we've had those kinds of temperatures.

    You just get your butt in here if you start to go wonky; we'll hold your hand.

    Dbarron, where did you post a question?

  • 11 years ago

    Checked into gardenweb this morning and was surprised about the change....I find the older you get, the harder it is to handle change....especially when it comes to computers etc.....anyway, after a few problems logging in etc....here I am again......looking forward to spring and warmer conversations......

  • 11 years ago

    I find the site very user unfriendly now. I remember the huge departure a few years ago....


  • 11 years ago

    I would agree with Ken, it's winter. Plus, many people are still working out the adjustment to the new site. I imagine things will go back to normal after a bit. Too early to say if we lose traffic and members.

  • 11 years ago

    rhizo_1, I can really empathize with the statement <b> ....I find the older you get, the harder it is to handle change....</b>

  • 11 years ago

    See my problem? I could not sign in as ronalawn82. I could not complete my rant about pop up ads;

    pounding punctuating

    accompaniment to TV ads. I will stick with radio.

    Sincerely

    Ron.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I was looking for you, Ron. Sorry that you had problems with the sign in process. You could probably change it on your public profile, if you wanted to.

    I am finding it easier and easier to appreciate the functionality of the new format, as I learn and as Houzz keeps responding to our daily requests. Hang in there, Ron. These forums....this one especially....would suffer without your input.

  • 11 years ago

    Second attempt. Marginally easier. 'Hot Topics' is next.


  • 11 years ago

    I haven't been to Garden Web for some time but I am disappointed I can't find specific information or a good way to search it. For example, I have two trees in my yard with potentially serious diseases. Yes, I'll get professional advice but I want to know something about it now before I can get someone to look. Any suggestions for particular forums or a good way to search?

  • 11 years ago

    Try the Tree forum. And include pictures, if you can.


  • 11 years ago

    Yes ken, that was it!

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus