Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shapirodidway

Winter bloomers: witch hazel

Shapiro Didway
9 years ago

We are loving Witch Hazels (Hamamelis sp.) this time of year. They add brightness and fragrance to dull winter days. They're also pretty easy to grow. Give them good drainage and moist organic soil in sun or part shade. They will reward you with winter blooms AND vibrant fall color. Many cultivars are available. Colors include red, orange, and yellows.

Here in Portland, OR we're lucky to have a mild winter climate- so we have lots of cool winter blooming plants to choose from. Witch Hazel is pretty cold hardy though, and can be grown in zones 5-8.

Comments (10)

• bogturtle
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hamamelis 'Robert'

Beautiful photos. Here in S. Jersey, our climate, Summer heat and occasional drought, and more extreme Winters, limits what we can grow. Himalayan Poppies, for instance, and for me, Delphiniums, are impossible. The Ocean causes the great northward shift on the climate maps. So I am in 7a.
    But all my Hamamelis do wonderfully, and several started just opening at the end of January.
    I advise putting them where they can be seen from indoors, backlighted by the Sun or against dark evergreens, and find it difficult to walk by one without taking a photo.
    I am going to add more, if I can. Don't think you need a bit of advice from me.
    My only failure was H. 'Diane'. It grew beautifully, colored beautifully in Fall and kept so many leaves, each Winter, that I got rid of it. And the start was pricey. Hate to think of what the fine tree would cost, at a market, when I got rid of it. A constant aggravation, as an ugly mess.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Yeah, I had a Diane and I felt the same way. The leaves..the darn dead leaves occluding the flowers. I think I may try 'Moonlight' one of these days, it seems to do better.

• PRO
    Shapiro Didway
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I love the idea of placing them for view from the inside, especially if you are in a colder climate and don't get out as much in winter, and yes with a backdrop of evergreens really makes them pop! I wonder if the persistent leaf problem has more to do with the specific cultivar, or the climate? We are having a very mild winter here in Western Oregon and I have seen 'Jelena', 'Arnold Promise', 'Primavera', and even 'Diane' looking good while 'Ruby Glow' has a ton of dead leaves hanging on. You're right though, the leaves really detract from the flowers.

• PRO
    Shapiro Didway
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, I don't know 'Robert'- it it pretty fragrant?

• bogturtle
    9 years ago

I haven't noticed any odor, but I haven't even noticed 'Angely', either my little one or the huge one at Longwood Gardens. I believe that sort is known to have a noticeable and pleasant smell. Probably me.

• PRO
    Shapiro Didway
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My favorite for fragrance is straight species H. mollis. It does get huge of course and doesn't come in all the colors (yellow only).... but the fragrance is really delightful.

• bogturtle
    9 years ago

Have H. mollis in the form 'Wisley Supreme' and I will be thankful if it is tall enough to grow up out of its somewhat shady corner. Only a few blooms open now. Never noticed an odor, but, as with one of the 5 or 6 blooms on Chimonanthus praecox, that I have, I can check the individuals. C. praecox has been an entirely different story for me. But it does have a beautiful perfume.

• PRO
    Shapiro Didway
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh I do love Chimonanthus p. They seem to be somewhat rare around here.... underused.

• PRO
    The Outdoor Room, LLC
    8 years ago

Hamamelis is a fantastic species with a lot of use, glad to see your write up here! Recently I began putting a list together of some note-worthy native plants with multiple seasons of interesting characteristics for the landscape. Witch Hazel is one of the top small scale, multi-stem trees on my list for it's late winter bloom, deer-tolerant foliage and bright fall color! Here on my property, it's a wooded lowland where hamamelis is right at home and abundant with an understory of Dog-tooth Violet, another spring emergent bloomer.

• User
    8 years ago

mmm, and when the hamamelis is over, the lovely corylopsis is waiting to do it's winter thing.

Sponsored