Software
Houzz Logo Print
sarabley

I need help with furniture arrangement/completing living room!!

11 years ago

Hello! I need some help with furniture placement and just getting things finished in my living room...seems like it has been a forever project in the works and I'm so sick of thinking about it...I just want it done! Anyways we have a pretty long and narrow space...window is in the Center of the outside wall, but it's in an awkward spot to put the couch, etc. The width is 12'6.5" and the length is 21'9" - window is 6'2". The entry to the living room from the dining is 5'10" - I'll attach a pic of the layout, a pic of the entry of our home (which I love the look of) looking towards steps, 2 pics standing by the steps looking into the living room, and then one pic standing in the dining room entry looking into room. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated - as far as ways to make the space better, furniture arrangement better, accent pieces, lamps, curtains,etc...The cabinet in the picture is scheduled to be painted a distressed cream/off white in the next couple weeks, so I would love advice soon, if possible! Thank you so much!

Comments (72)

  • 11 years ago

    Your floor lamp is a nice one, so I hope it finds a place back in this room, too.

  • 11 years ago

    What about a sepia toned print where the clock is/was to bring the brown of the recliner over to that side of the room? Lots of options on art.com.

  • 11 years ago
    This may seem like an odd option to some, but would it work in your new layout to swap the piano and the hutch? Music is a huge part of my family's life, and we would love having the piano in the midst of our sitting area. Part of your decision would be the actual width of the cabinet and how it would fit in the piano spot.

    If you chose to put the piano on the interior wall, the mirror would add height to it. You also might add a "pop" of color above the couch by hanging a painting or piece of art or a colorful quilt there.

    Whether or not you switch these two pieces of furniture, your room is looking wonderful! You're doing a great job of trying different suggestions and finding what fits you best!
  • 11 years ago
    So the recliner is a keeper?
    Maybe put one of the other chairs over by the railing....and then put the recliner in its place in front of the window.
    Or move the hutch where the piano is and the piano where the hutch is.....then put the recliner at an angle by the railing....add a small end table with tall lamp or the floor lamp along with a small stool/table.....would make that area like a reading/relaxation nook.

    Then with the piano on the furthest wall(where the hutch was) You could do a big picture collage with some vinyl wording about family and incorporate that nice clock too. Angle those chairs a little more... Maybe find a more slender end table or stool you could repurpose to go in between those chairs mainly because you want to keep them centered....maybe a round coffee table but anything kind of big would look great on an area rug in front of the couch. Again fill in the corners with something like a tree...vase with dried stuff or an old ladder with shelving. Is your plan to have blue accents? If so find a rug with some of that blue in it and play with other accents to go with it.

    We have a tall angled wall in our living room....we put our TV hutch off to the left side and a sofa type table on the right of it then did 'We Live, We Laugh, We Play, We Love with the word FAMILY in between....I have a HUGE star up high and the those words are stacked below with family photos on both sides of the wording(does that make sense). If you want a picture I can send you one?
  • 11 years ago
    I do want to commend your defense of your husband's recliner having a place in the seating arrangement in your (plural!) room. I hear you honoring his preferences and wanting him to be honored in the living spaces of your home. Besides, when we have a husband/family, the primary purpose of our home is to be a welcoming sanctuary for our loved ones! You go, girl! You're sorting through a lot of great ideas and making some your very own. Good job! :)
  • 11 years ago

    Sue - would you be able to send me a pic? That would be wonderful...might just give me an idea of something to do on the walls:) THANK YOU!

  • 11 years ago

    " decoenthusiaste " are you out there? Would you be able to chime in? I saw some of the other ideas you've had to help others and liked what you suggested! I like the way the furniture is layed out this latest way (better than anything other I've had before) but want to get another opinion and then also some advice on how to finish up the room. Thanks!


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hey, sarabley, I'm here! I agree, the piano needs to be on an interior wall for its health, especially since you do play it. Place it where the sofa is, opposite the window. I do like the height of the bookcase on the end wall. Flank it with the pair of chairs, pulled forward to overlap each side of it a bit and angled. Float the sofa perpendicular to window facing the bookcase and chairs. In the area where the piano is by the stairwell now, add a bookcase and the recliner and lamp for a reading corner. If that doesn't feel right, the sofa might need to go under the window, but I'm thinking that could be the spot for a nice bench. You'll need a coffee table and some little side tables for the chairs, maybe ceramic garden stools.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    decoenthusiaste, I love seeing you respond to sarabley. You have great ideas!

    I'm curious: Since you were not on here earlier, did you see the photo part-way up the chain where sarabley had the couch on the far wall, hutch on the right? (Her corresponding comments began with, "I think I got it!")

    Anyway, part of the steps that lead to that arrangement were that her husband and she (and family?) read a lot in that room, etc. I personally love the arrangement she "got" -- with the change of putting the piano on the interior wall where the hutch is in that photo. It keeps her husband (in his recliner) and the piano into the family circle. Would the hutch work where the piano originally was? I realize she would need some height over the piano on the interior wall; could the mirror accomplish that or would a colorful quilt be better "wall art" hung above (and hanging behind) the piano? A large, colorful piece of art behind the couch could make that end of the room "pop."

    I'd love to hear each of your thoughts about that! :)

  • 11 years ago

    vickibedford... I did like the sofa on the end wall. I do think it is important to have seating there because that is the vignette people will notice when they enter the space. The two issues appear to be the tall bookcase and piano. There is a third issue and that is the scale of the pair of chairs - each of them looks almost bigger than the lounger. I'm hoping they will recede a bit when placed at the end with the bookcase, but they may be too large scale with it as well. I also felt the bookcase and stair railings were just going to be a busy, woody look together. I think maybe the lounger will ameliorate that. We may not need a short bookcase with it, and she might just paint the white end table and use it with a table lamp instead of the floor lamp. I'm hoping new floor to ceiling drapes that cover a good portion of the wall on both sides will cozy the space some. Now, it is just a matter of shoving things around until it feels right to the family. Then the details of accessorizing and art, etc. can be tackled. Did you have a photo of a quilt to upload for her?


  • 11 years ago

    Thanks for your response -- not that you had to defend your suggestions :)

    I do have a quilt (from my great-grandmother) in my great room that serves as a backdrop to our black, baby grand piano and music cabinet, but my taste will NOT be everyone's. Our great room is "Old Rose" with a warm white trim; the secondary color is celadon green. I tell my husband it takes a REAL man to live in that much pink! He is gracious and complimentary of all those things. His grace is more than I could ask or imagine from any human! :)

    I do understand the bookcase and stair railings being lots of wood; I was also concerned that, if the bookcase and window treatments were similar in height, that would not work very well.

    Sarabley, thank you for allowing me to learn from one of the masters on here ... via your beautiful living room. :)

  • 11 years ago

    Sounds like you have a great husband to let you decorate your own way! We hear so many dilemmas at Houzz where they say "my husband won't let me..."


  • 11 years ago

    don't have a ton of time right now, but a couple of things...that's one thing that I have been questioning - is the chairs - I really like them, but I guess now that someone brought up the size of them, that might be what throws me off when trying to arrange the furniture, too...the size of those chairs - I didn't like seeing the backs of them b/c it seemed so blocky. And one more thing..I am planning on having the hutch painted a cream/white and distressed, so that might solve one of the issues - having the hutch by the banister. Just a couple things. I do like the set up I have now the best. I'll attach a photo. I have tried pretty much everything and this is the only way SO far that I haven't looked at it every day and thought, ughh...don't like this! The measurement for the couch is Width: 82" Depth: 36" Height: 36" and the chairs: 30L x 34D x 36H - so that might give you a better idea of scale:) Thanks for your help! Let me know what you think of this new info and I'll wait to hear back before I start moving everything again:) Thank you so much for taking time to help!!


  • 11 years ago

    One more thing- The hutch is an inexpensive purchase we made from craigslist (It's heavy duty and solid wood)-thought the room needed some height! SO, I suppose we don't HAVE To keep it, although I do like it!

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    You do need the height the hutch provides, I just think it needs company wherever you put it, so I'd flank it with the two chairs anyway. I'm not a fan of walking into the back of the lounge chair upon entering. I still think the room will look more inviting if the major vignette is the hutch and two chairs at the end. With the hutch across from the window, it reduces the footprint of the room visually, kind of like a barrier, rather than the focal point it should be. And, I'm still focused on getting the piano onto an interior wall where I think you can install an art gallery around it.


    Sorry, don't know how that one pic came up three times!

    With the area by the railing devoted to a reading nook, you'll create a focal vignette as one comes through the entry, and then the hutch and chairs will present another focal when one turns into the room. IMO, it will be more welcoming and spacious, and you can put the sofa at the window with the piano opposite. Devote the largest/highest wall and space around the piano to an art gallery.

  • 11 years ago

    Ok, one thing to consider - the window is in the center of that outside wall. There is an entrance to the living room on the wall opposite the window. So, In order to center the sofa with the piano (which would be centered on the wall opposite the window) half of the sofa would be in front of the window and half would be in front of the wall....does that make sense? Can you see the other pics that I posted earlier? If not, I can re-post those! I feel like it's such an awkward room...and I think I tend to be a very symmetrical person, so I think that makes it difficult, too:)

  • 11 years ago

    Don't worry about the off-centered-ness of the sofa. Center the piano across from the sofa - even if it is close to the door. We can tweak around that issue. Don't forget the hutch and two chairs are going to eat some floor space at the end of the room so the piano won't really go in the exact center of the wall anyway. Once you get things moved, sit on the sofa and photo the piano wall so we can see about getting the balance worked out.


  • 11 years ago

    I am really hoping you try what deco is suggesting. I know it means moving large pieces, but I think this will be the arrangement that will work for you in so many ways.

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks for the vote of confidence, abbyjean. I'm anxious to see it all laid out.


  • 11 years ago

    I am, too, as it just makes sense. I like the idea of using the chairs with the cabinet as they will balance each other out and no more back of the chairs showing. Getting the piano to the center of the home is always a favorite idea of mine, too, and gosh! Who would not love a reading corner! That would be a welcoming site as entering the space, as you also suggested. Gosh, I cannot wait!!! Then the fun....the fluffy stuff!

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    OK, I knew I had a picture of the hutch with the chairs and sofa in front of window. I know it's not exactly what you've said, but just to give you a general idea. The recliner in the picture is in a different room and the end table is not in the room anymore either. Just a general idea...if you can picture the piano where the table and chair are?! Do you think it's worth it to try this and move all that heavy furniture? :) THANK YOU!

  • 11 years ago

    Nice find, and I do think the work and effort will be worth it. The chairs will overlap the cabinet, so that will be a small/minor change from this pic, and there will be more of a connection that way, too.

  • 11 years ago

    Exactly! Yes, do it! You can cut the bottoms off of plastic juice and milk jugs to make sliders if you don't have "Moving Men" furniture sliders. I think we'll have a winner!


  • 11 years ago

    Does that mean hubby's recliner is the "reading nook" where the piano was? How will he feel about that?

  • 11 years ago

    I don't think hubby's reading nook will be out of the loop, if that's what you mean, indomom.


  • 11 years ago

    Oh, good. I'll look forward to seeing the new arrangement.

  • 11 years ago

    My husband will help me move the furniture on Saturday, so I'm going to have to keep you in suspense:)

  • 11 years ago

    I just caught the very end of Dr. Oz today and they were talking about the uses of aluminum foil......if you put it on the feet of furniture, dull side out, it will slide the furniture just like that. Now I know the piano will be delicate with those legs, but wanted to mention it if you are not in to helping lift heavy items....wrap the feet and shove. Cannot wait to see the stuff all moved. Good job talking him in to helping with this. It will be worth it.

  • 11 years ago

    abbyjean, who helps lift the piano to get the foil under the feet? lol!


  • 11 years ago

    I know.........and most things that need to be moved are heavy to get to the legs. They showed it with some big couches, and guess they tipped them forward and backward. Not gonna do that with a piano!

  • 11 years ago

    Most pianos have wheels, but not too helpful on carpet. Might try laying down some flat cardboard and making a path for it.


  • 11 years ago

    If sarabley's husband happened to have a 2-wheel dolly, they could pad it with a small rug or cardboard and slip the dolly under the edge of the piano (and hutch, of course) while they raised it and slid in the foil or milk cartons or whatever. [OR, they could do the same with a short piece of 2x4 lumber, etc.] Just sayin'. :)

  • 11 years ago

    ok, I somehow got everything moved this morning:) Here are some pics...to me, it makes the room look too long and narrow and I think I like it the way I had it, but what are your thoughts? Thanks!!

    This is standing right where you would enter the room from the front entrance.

    This is standing in the entrance from our dining room

    standing by the banister/steps

    sitting in the center of the couch

  • 11 years ago

    And those chairs look awkward to me, too??

  • 11 years ago

    Slide the chairs so they overlap the cabinet....no spaces showing between the chairs and the cabinet.

  • 11 years ago

    When the chairs move over, maybe try the side table and lamp on the other side of the couch....just cannot tell right now which side is best.

    Hubby's chair....gosh, I thought there was more wall space separating the piano and the window. I might move hubby's chair out of the corner and over more in front of the railing so it is not lining up with the couch.

    And deco, I am fine if you over ride all of this! FINE!

  • 11 years ago

    I have to agree with you Sara.

  • 11 years ago

    The piano looks soooo nice where it is on that new wall and plenty of room so it will not get bumped in to as people enter.

  • 11 years ago

    OR keep the side table right where it is and bring hubby's chair right up there and make it a part of that grouping and it can share that table and lamp. The floor lamp can go beside one of the other chairs.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Try these tweaks. Pull all the seating forward a tad - chairs overlapping the cabinet, sofa not squashing the drapes, lounger not so tight in the corner. From what I can see in all the pix, the only seating the white table works with is the two chairs. It is too low for the sofa arm and too high for the lounger arm. You liked the sofa at the other end, so I'm wondering if the length you're feeling would be reduced if you put the sofa out in front of the cabinet. Then the two chairs and white table could sit in the window. With the rectangular table, the chairs should be squared up rather than angled. Then you'd need to pull the lounger over into the corner made by the two railings. A low bookcase could go on the wall left of the window to fill that area.

  • 11 years ago

    In this pic, I took the table out and pushed the recliner back a bit
    Table out, recliner pushed back a little, and pic taken from a different angle,

    Sorry for being a pain! This room has been so difficult for me!

  • 11 years ago

    ok - here are a few pics of me moving the sofa in front of cabinet and the recliner over by the banister


  • 11 years ago

    I think it is working and is more intimate this way. How about you? We'll just need to find a bookcase for that wall by the lounger and hang some pretty art above it.


  • 11 years ago

    Can't remember......are you getting a coffee table?

    Is there a table for hubby to have by his chair? Love the lamp there with it and the throw there, too, although I might refold it and drape it more over just one side.

  • 11 years ago

    When you paint the cabinet, maybe see if the table between the chairs could be the same color?

  • 11 years ago

    thank you for the suggestions! Wondering...should that recliner chair be where it is in the 2nd picture or the last pic of the last pics I posted? And the cabinet/hutch is going to be painted the same color...or very similar to the rectangle table. I do have a metal and wood table I could put there. Should I put it on the side that the lamp is on or the other? And I guess now, I just look for more suggestions about other pieces I should get to tie everything together?! Thanks so much again!

  • 11 years ago

    May we see the table? Gosh, a side is a difficult one. Does hubby care which side, like if he is right or left handed?

  • 11 years ago

    If this is hub's special chair, I'd let him arrange it where he likes it for reading. If it reclines I don't think it will do so in the railing corner. If you get a bookcase, he might want to sit closer to it, or not. On to the decor. If you've followed me at all you know I don't consider the big box store battery op clocks as decor, so I'd remove that. We haven't really seen the art over the stairwell. If might work above the piano if it is no wider than 75% of the piano's length. I noticed you had baskets under your foyer piece. You might want to get a couple of them to fit in the big cabinet to bring that touch into this room. What are you thinking for a coffee table?


  • 11 years ago

    sorry, life has been busy:) Ok, so hubby did not like the chair over by the banister all by itself. And I didn't like the sofa in front of the cabinet, so we did a little arranging and this is what we really like! Maybe not the most "professional" or stylish way, but we like it. So wondering if you could help me decide what to do on the sides of sofa, over sofa, over piano, maybe get rid of the clock, and I took the metal piece down from over the banister...looked too busy/cluttered (should I put something there or maybe leave it empty and then add something on the ledge by the stairs or on top of the cabinet - maybe something with color?. I like simple and not too cluttered! THANK YOU! And decoenthusiaste - not sure on coffee table - I'm wondering if that will look too cluttered (guessing it depends on what I do on the sides of sofa) We have 4 kids, so yes, I love the cozy look, but my kids run in here and we pretty much live in this room, so not sure on a coffee table:) I would love to have my kids' pictures on a wall - was thinking maybe either over piano - or maybe in place of the clock??

  • 11 years ago

    I like the painted cabinet and it relates to your lighter foyer piece. As long as every seat has access to a table where drinks, books, glasses can be placed you won't need a coffee table. If kids bring toys in here you might enjoy an upholstered round hassock that has storage inside to use as a coffee table. That would be a good place for games too. I don't think it will add clutter, which I consider to be more of an overload of accessories on every surface. End tables should be no more than 1" below the sofa arms and not higher than the arms. When you add lamps the total height of table and lamp should fall out between 58 and 64" above the floor. Does hubby have a lamp and table by his chair? Over the sofa, I'd opt for art that doesn't exceed 75% of the sofa's width or hang higher on the wall than the top window frame. I'm not crazy about your mirror and it misses the 75% rule and so is too wide for the piano. Put family photos on and over the piano. I think that mirror might look better hung vertically over the foyer table. You could always try the foyer mirror above the sofa if it isn't too small. Lean it there and let's see how it works proportionally.


    Belham Living Corbett Coffee Table Storage Ottoman - Round - 3AXCAVNOTT-RD · More Info
    Safavieh Florentine Storage Gold Linen Round Ottoman · More Info