Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

This or That - Mountain Cabin or Beach Cottage?

Emily H
9 years ago

If you were to have a vacation home to escape to whenever you needed some downtime, would you rather have a cabin somewhere on a secluded mountain or would you rather have a cottage at the shore?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments! (photos encouraged)

Comments (88)

• hillonthehouse
    9 years ago

We've retired to our mountain cabin and it's a constant joy looking out the window - a scene that is continuously changing. With snow on the ground now it is particularly lovely. Might get snowed in tomorrow, but we have nowhere we need to be and are well stocked up. The vibrant city of Asheville is just twenty minutes away. I grew up vacationing at the beaches of North and South Carolina, and my grandparents and then parents had a vacation home in Myrtle Beach. Yes, lovely walking on the beach and looking at (and swimming in) the water, but I almost always got headaches from the sun, it could get blazing hot, and I was either sticky from salt or scratchy from sand. And if I had a place at the beach, I'd want to be able to look at the water, which of course is the priciest real estate, subject to hurricanes and rising water levels and eroding beaches, not to mention sky high insurance. Nope, I'll stick with the mountains, unless I could have a place on a Greek island, too!

• T Davis
    9 years ago

Come on... cuddled up with the one you love, in pajamas, with a crackling fire, and a mug of hot chocolate while it snows just outside. What more could you want!!!

• Dawn Taillon
    9 years ago

We have a mountain home and love it but the sea is like a tranquilizer to me. I cant afford to live on the coast so I pick it.

• paulatwhit213
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Love a cabin, warm, serene, comfy and more of an all year round pleasure. It would be nice to have both, of course, but if I had to choose the cabin wins hands down.

• Najeebah
    9 years ago
    Love the beach and all.. But I'm more of an old country lover.
    Log cabin, coffee in earthenware, Old guns on the wall, rustic, comfortable and practical.
  • SueBee
    9 years ago

I would pick the cottage by the sea. We've lived in the mountains, and I loved it, but to have a cottage by the sea would be a great getaway!!

• Eve Lyon
    9 years ago

CAN'T WE HAVE BOTH ? LOL TOO MANY BEACH HOMES ARE WASHED AWAY IN STORMS AND TOO MANY CABINS RE BURNED IN FOREST FIRES. STILL WE HAVE INSURANCE TO HELP REPLACE.

• betanner
    9 years ago

I have always felt closer to GOD at the sea. It gives me peace and calms my mind. I pray that one day I will have a cottage at the water for my sister and I to retire.

• lindapugh
    9 years ago

A short 2-hr drive from our home takes us to a 100-yr-old cabin on the shore of Lake of the Woods -near the town of Kenora in NW Ont, Canada. We've enjoyed it for 30+ years; Summer & Fall are really lovely there, but too short.

A beach cottage would be wonderful to have from Nov to April.

• User
    9 years ago

I'm POSITIVE I was really meant to live my life in Hawaii, or Fiji, or whatever gorgeous, tropical climes. So water and beach all the way for me, baby! Clean lake OR ocean, as long as it's warm & infinitely swimmable.

If we're talking disasters, I'd rather drown in warm water than be either burned alive, buried in an avalanche, or drown in FRIGID, mountain-fed water! (after all, it can and does flood just as readily in mountainous areas)

For those here who already have my kind of dream location, but long for cold, snow and mountains instead, wanna trade houses?! ;) And for those who are lucky enough to have gotten *both,* for heaven's sake - please share your "how-to" secrets with the rest of us, lol!!!

• User
    9 years ago

lindapugh, yes, Lake of the Woods is just lovely, and you're so lucky to have a place there. I had a few friends whose families had cabins there (two even owned their own islands!), and probably still do. Aaaahhhhh......blissful. Same for Victoria Beach, a personal fave of mine.

I hear you, though -- Nov. to Apr. is the time to "get outta town" for most of us Cdns. unless we're in the warmer parts of BC, eh? ;)

• quay_ohara
    9 years ago

Could I have Both ?! :-) My husband and I live in and near lots of woods in Arkansas. And we have a mountain cabin on our Wish List. However, when given the choice, being able to walk in the sunshine on the beach and swim in the ocean would feel wonderful and be great for health. Great question.

• Chad Letcher
    9 years ago
    Tough decision. I chose the cabin because it would be quite and could enjoy the sounds of the wild life more. I love the smell of the ocean. But the water pounding the ocean is all you can here.
  • Gary Pynn
    9 years ago
    We live on the beach and couldn't and wouldn't trade it. Though there have been winter storms when......
  • Elenah Kelly
    9 years ago
    I would adore either of the two, but I voted for the cottage because I love seeing water. Now if the cabin was overlooking a lake...I would be undecided. It is my dream to have a vacation home.
  • Darlene Roellig
    9 years ago

Blessed to have lived near the beach for 23 years. Now, we live near the mountains. Would love to have a beach cottage too. Best of both worlds!

• lizak
    9 years ago
    Both!
  • mamabear2014
    9 years ago

Considering we still have snow on the ground here...I would without a doubt pick the cottage on the beach. When we vacationed on the beach, we opened the door and and windows at night and it was awesome!!

• Mary Elizabeth
    9 years ago

We love our "cottage" by the lake! Located
    where we can enjoy all 4 seasons - sun & sand all summer, beautiful color
    in the fall, long, peaceful winters, and all the kids & grands within an
    hour's drive! Surrounded by God's creation and more blessings than we can
    count!

All of this just out our back door:

• kyleegoo
    9 years ago

The beach cottage looks very exposed and style of it isn't very beachy - it looks suburban. So I'm going for mountain cabin.

• 71dg
    9 years ago

Yes to both. We are well into design for a Mountain style cabin that will be placed on a lakefront lot in Alberta's boreal forest. Big shout out to Sticks and Stones design group in Canmore for putting our dreams on paper. Construction scheduled for this spring!

• PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago

A very nice place!

• lisadkay
    9 years ago

I currently live in the snowy mountains of N. California. A beach getaway would be my choice. Best of both worlds.

• homelover59
    9 years ago
    Beach cottage please. I lived near the ocean and beach most of my younger years and loved it so beach cottage is the obvious choice for me.
  • PRO
    First Impressions
    9 years ago
    There's always something soulfully soothing hearing the sound of the ocean with sand in my my toes but that's why I love the majesty of the California coastline, you can have both! Give me a cliff house overlooking the Pacific any day!
  • inbloom4
    9 years ago

I love my little rustic cabin!

• Dee
    9 years ago
    Both. An escape for the weekend with family and/or friends.
  • PRO
    Diane DuBos
    9 years ago
    why not both?
  • Brandi Rea
    9 years ago
    why isn't there a choice for both? right now I'm tired of the cold so I'll say beach!
  • Lynn Oxenford
    9 years ago
    Ionization for the soul !!!!!
  • elayna_
    9 years ago
    Cottage; you have the beach right there and still the luxury of having a fire.
  • Molly
    9 years ago

This is our view of the Atlantic Ocean in Nova Scotia. The beach (beyond the hill), is rocky and unparalleled in my opinion.

• PRO
    Down Home Renovations
    9 years ago

Both! We enjoy the mountains AND the beach, if you have one you always want the other. Summer months at the beach house, Fall and winter months at the cabin.

• Geneviève
    9 years ago

I would like both too:)

• oakleyspanky
    9 years ago
    Love our lakefront cottage! It's our year round home..
  • pattym143
    9 years ago
    Cabin in the mountains, no. Cabin, cottage, heck even a mobile home, on a lake, absolutely. We had a year-round fish camp for 10 years on a lake in the Adirondacks. Loved it. We lived our dream. We are water people and will live on the water again one day!
  • cinnamonfrances
    9 years ago
    I think both are fabulous! I prefer a beach house, but the mountains are beautiful as well.
  • 4kates
    9 years ago
    I live partially in the mountains, so I would go for the cottage
  • Ed
    9 years ago
    We live in the tropics, hence a cabin in the mountains with cool breeze is a treat.
  • Andrea Duarte-Haia
    9 years ago
    I am from Colorado, but live on Maui. You can't go wrong either way :)
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    9 years ago

I have a cottage on a lake with a private sand beach, but if it was the sea I would be really happy !

• nigel599
    9 years ago

A cabin is the best for peace and tranquility. We've had a cabin near Sioux Lookout, ONT for 46 years. We've moved several times, the children have grown, families have grown, but the cabin remains. The land and the lake change only with the weather. A place for celebrating nature and life.

• Judy Howell
    9 years ago

My summer consist of traveling to Pensacola Beach and camping there because the ocean soothes me so much, it's only 20 minutes from home. That is the only reason I pick cabin in the woods, surrounded again by nature!

• PRO
    DaVill Blinds
    9 years ago
    The cabins really cute but c'mon the beach is the life!
  • bungalowmo
    9 years ago

After this nasty winter...I could use some beach time!!!

• PRO
    The Virginia Gail Collection
    9 years ago
    Had to choose the beach as we already live in the woods.
  • carolyngarland
    9 years ago
    Live in a cabin already. Love it.
  • Paul B. Showers
    8 years ago

Got to go with both, yet none of the above. I'm still working on my little lake cottage, I live just an hour from the best of the Jersey shore, either Cape May or Ocean City and can be in the Poconos in about ninety minutes. The lake cottage has coastal décor going on and it's just ten miles from my back door. I wanted a cottage in New York or Vermont on either side of Lake Champlain but that is six and a half hours away. When I want to escape I can drive about thirteen minutes and sit looking over my dock and watch herons, swans, geese and cranes. It's the best of both worlds.

• bewinks
    8 years ago

that beach cottage could be a mil while the mountain one could be 30k.... based on that alone id say beach :)

• PRO
    Laurie McDowell Interior Design
    8 years ago

This one wasn't too hard for me! The cottage called my name!!!