Software
Houzz Logo Print
bjhd1

What can I do to this brick fireplace wall to make it more attractive

11 years ago
My family room needs some help . I would appreciate any suggestions to make this wall more attractive. We don't use the fireplace due to family allergies Thank-you so much.

Comments (19)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hi, I suggest adding finger panel slate wall cladding across all of the brick in this material: http://www.tileoutletchicago.com/marble/wall-cladding/ks-1120fl-autumn-finger-panel-wall-cladding/

    This will provide a smaller scale than the brick, along with a much more interesting color palette.

    For the horizontal surface of the hearth (the surface you would sit on), I suggest using this solid stone slab of granite: http://www.marble-granites.com/products/Granite/Calypso.aspx?p=219

    Or if the granite slab is unavailable try a solid slab of Slate such as this Rustic slate #27: http://www.slateofchina.com/rustic-slate-1.htm This has the blue and rust tones found in the above finger panel slate wall cladding.

    Let me know if I can provide further assistance at maura@maurabrauninteriordesign.com


  • 11 years ago
    Thank you for your suggestions
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    You're welcome!

  • 11 years ago
    Dry wall. Paint. Then add nice art. And big potted plants on side. Dry wall hearth too. Brick is very dated and dark.
  • 11 years ago
    Start by cleaning the brick and fireplace, then add a decorative screen or doors. Search "fireplace screen" for ideas
  • 11 years ago
    More suggestions please?
  • 11 years ago
    I would cover the brick with IKEA Nexus doors. http://www.ikeahackers.net/2011/04/fireplace-frump-to-fab.html
  • 11 years ago
    How about an indoor green wall ? Two to three rows of hooks on wall that would hold planters - small 1w upturned lights and few antique look mirror frames or photo frames- only frames , not framed pictures . This is my vision . Of course you have to take out the plants to sun weekly- so size of planters should be small .
  • 11 years ago

    I like the look of the brick all painted white. Build a mantel up around it. Stack some cut wood on the base and some other rustic elements...

  • 11 years ago
    I might make the firebox look less like a black maw by placing white birch logs inside and then a pretty screen in front. Maybe replace the plants (which look artificial in the pictures?) with tall pretty vases or baskets.

    If you are up to construction, a mantle would help.
  • 11 years ago

    See how it would look if painted white by taping white shelf paper across it. If it is too much, go the painted drywall route with some molding, a transitional mirror in gold frame, and an unobtrusive fitted fireplace screen that is flush to the bricks. Add a can uplight ($15 plus $15 floodlight LED bulb) in the corner on the ledge, near the table lamp.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hello bjhd1, I love the colour of the brown brick on your fireplace. I think it is really neutral and there are a lot of ways to decorate with it. I would first paint the rest of the room a soft blue/grey such as CSP-5 Perspective Benjamin Moore, this pulls the light tones out of the fireplace and therefore making the fireplace look lighter. I would suggest adding a walnut stained mantel to the above the fireplace opening. On top of the mantel I would hang a large circle mirror with a brushed nickel framed. Then I would suggest bring in white accessories even painting your coffee table white as well. If is in the budget I would change the floor to a walnut coloured hardwood and also get a new sofa in a taupe colour. Lots of possibilities, Happy Designing!

    Thank you, Kendra Bester

  • 11 years ago

    Leave the brick wall, and just do some cleaning. Then add a white frame of the fireplace. And then add some works of art on the wall to make it more interesting. Or hang large golden or copper framed mirror to let this wall eye-catching. I recommend you change the furniture to more modern ones like yellow sofa and glass coffee table. That will make the room brighter and more interesting.

  • 11 years ago

    Hey,

    If you are looking for a cost effective way of spicing up that hearth of yours. Simply painting the brick white (don't forget to paint the vents) and adding an old french/reclaimed mantel with a lovely calk-board finish.

    If that's not your style, cladding the wall with a warm rustic ledge stone would make the room warm and inviting with a more updated look the then brick style. To match, the bottom ledge could be done in a interlocking slate pave mats.

    Good Luck!

    ErthCOVERING Product

  • 11 years ago
    These pictures show the rest of the room which might help with suggestions
  • 11 years ago
    More photos of this room
  • 11 years ago
    Hope this helps
  • 11 years ago
    Another view