Software
Houzz Logo Print
bubblingover

Pick My Hood - Bertazzoni or Gaggenau or Another Solution?

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

We are trying for a semi-high end kitchen remodel on a budget and going for a modern minimalism feel kind of similar to poggen pohl's look, with glossy white cabinetry and walnut accents. We have a large space to work with, approximately 12' wide by 32' long. The end of our kitchen will be all windows, the sightline (from the main door) wall will have a double Bertazzoni oven in the black glass designer series and fully integrated Thermador fridge and freezer, ending with an appliance garage. Across from the sightline wall is a sink under another window and our cooktop area. I will post our entire layout here sometime soon, as I'd love to get some feedback before construction. Right now, though I'm trying to figure out what to do about our hood.

I have been eyeing a 36" Gaggenau visor hood to go over a 36" induction cooktop. There will be a 12" wide Gaggenau in-counter steamer on the left side of the cooktop and because this is just steam, it will not need to directly vent to the hood. The problem is that I would like to also place a 12" wide Gaggenau in-counter wok gas burner on the right side of the cooktop. I like Asian foods, omelets, and the option to use gas as a cook. Plus it will visually balance the steamer. Plus, we live rural, on an outdated municipal power area that has outages frequently. So I feel more secure having a back-up gas option as everything else in our kitchen is electric.

The Gaggenau visor hood is very aggressively priced as it is a floor model but I am concerned that it won't ventilate the extra 12" gas burner well if I go that route. Gaggenau doesn't make a bigger visor hood in a 48" and to get 2 24" visor hoods would be quite expensive plus that might look silly? Should I get the 48" Bertazzoni under cabinet hood? That would be more expensive than the Gaggenau 36" but it could pull the black glass look together, however the cool Bertazzoni logo will be hidden if I put cabinets around it (like this).

We will be using this space a lot and I want something that is both minimal and quiet. Gaggenau says 54 db and Bertazzoni says 50-60 db. Gaggenau is 425 CFM and Bertazzoni is 600. I feel silly to get so hung up about a hood but the floor model Gaggenau is a great deal that I have a hard time passing up unless it just won't do the job for venting the wok burner? Will a Bertazzoni hood look silly over Gaggenau appliances. I'm waiting for the new GE Monogram induction cooktop with Sous Vide to come out before I pick our cooktop but right now the top contenders are the full surface Gaggenau or Thermador Freedom. HVAC isn't something I know much about. Is there anything I can do to make the Gaggenau hood functional?

Comments (6)

  • 11 years ago
    Oh, I have read lots of blogs that really discourage under cabinet models. I am getting rid of an old jenn aire downdraft. Most cool cooking surface and don't draft well from tall pots.
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks kris, neither one of these is a downdraft. They are regular hoods. I just want to put them within custom cabinets so they don't dominate my space. I won't be recirculating either, they are on an exterior wall and will be vented there. Wow, 3" wider than my cooktop would be 54".

  • 11 years ago
    One bonus for your venting is that your duct work is short as its on an outside wall that will greatly reduce duct noise! Maybe the 48" would be a good option centered over the entire cook unit? There are some zephyr models that have up to 1000 cfm. Or just put the smoke alarm farther from the stove, crack a window, and get the one you love :) good luck, your appliances sound lovely and either way, delicious meals will be enjoyed by everyone who shares a meal with you. If you vent all the good aromas, how will the appetites be enticed? :)
  • 11 years ago
    I happen to have a little bit of a passion concerning hood systems. Hood systems main purpose is to remove grease-laden vapors so as not to collect on walls and ceilings. CFM's and room air volume are important to that function, along with the filter design, cooking appliance used and hood size relative to appliance covering.

    If your cooking style involves a lot of grease-laden vapors (think Asian style, etc.), then really research your choice of hood. Like you, I was very concerned with the noise level and cleaning the hood.

    A "divorced" or remote blower, as opposed to in-line (in the ductwork) is best at reducing noise. The filter/baffle design can also affect noise. After careful research, I settled for an Abbaka hood with roof mounted blower (can also vent out wall). Cleaning is a dream...just pop the baffle filters into my dishwasher and sparkling clean. No need to clean anything else! I can go into details of some terrible hood designs I've seen, including some very high-end expensive models. The Abbaka is the most quiet on the market and easy to maintain, which I say after living with it under very heavy-use conditions for about 1.5 yrs. I did have the Abbaka rep replace the baffle filters to a different baffle design because the shape of the baffles makes a difference. Ended up with a heavier-duty commercial style at no extra cost. Mesh filters are useless and never really get clean (have them at my cabin because I had to have a downdraft (not very effective) due to snow conditions).

    Very pleased with my 1300 CFM extremely quiet and clean Abbaka. Cannot say enough about the ease of cleaning. Any time one of my burners is on, so is the hood. Even steam will contain grease vapors, BTW. Most folks do not use their hood because of the noise (my contractor confirmed this fact). Photos show full system, with one baffle panel removed, and baffle listing info.
  • 11 years ago
    PS: there is a lot of surface area past the baffles. Sparkling clean after 1.5 yrs of use...never had to clean it, as the baffles stop the grease at the baffles. That is SO important, as most homeowners never clean the ductwork.