Software
Houzz Logo Print
edie_nicosia1

what is your #1 master bathoom must have item and what do u regret?

11 years ago

II am planning a master bathroom reno. I havealready messed up and ordered a vanity we will not be using. I am wondering what items that were added to your master bath reno splurge or not that you are thrilled that you put in?

what is your one regret?










Comments (13)

  • 11 years ago

    Have planned but not yet executed. The basics to spend on; good quality vanity with storage, high quality countertop with two sinks, as large a shower as possible, a free-standing tub if possible, and subtle stone-look tile. Wastes of money include spending too much on easily-changed things, such as light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, mirrors, or on high-priced finishes that are not going to age well over time, such as colorful real stone, colorful sinks/tubs/toilets, and other trend items. (For example, don't go with blush pink fixtures!)


  • 11 years ago

    Yes I learned the vanity lesson right away I ordered a $2500 teak vanity that we will not be using . I will be spending more but hubby will be happier and it will fit our space better. The "mistake was only 72 inches where the open space we have for the vanity is 96 inches) so we are taking a loss and going for the right vanity. I hope to sell the other but who knows.


    I don't have it in yet but I think y one right thing will be heated floors (ditraheat ) I think it will be a luxury to step on that every day. We live in NJ. Its darn cold in the winter.


    we are replacing the Jacuzzi tub with an air /Jacuzzi tub I did think of taking in our and making our shower bigger . I hope I don't regret that. I found the combo tub at Costco it has chromotherepy , aromotherpy and both Jacuzzi jet and air jets . I am hoping that I will use it. the one there I don't use at all. I uess I thinking if the bath looked nicer maybe I want to hand out in there . LOl now I just want to run out.

  • 11 years ago

    I also am replacing a giant mirror with 4 medicine cabinets put together. I just hope that is going to look ok. right now there just too much stuff on counters . I hope my hubby can find a way to recess them or do it. My big problem is I am the shopper and I am not communicating with the worker ( my hubby) so some things I just hope it will work . if anyone sees a picture of someone doing something like this please link . thanks

    .http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQPY6TO/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687542&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001PO9E6Q&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=181VTHECNA37Q20B1AZE

  • 11 years ago
    I just remembered one thing I regret. When we contracted for the quartz vanity tops, I specified an eased edge. When they showed up, they had a much more rounded edge.

    The contractor told me that they were only allowed to do a rounded edge because any smaller radius would chip. I thought it was BS, but I let it slide. In retrospect I should have called him on it. It looks a bit cheesy.

    And we subsequently ordered two other pieces of the same stuff for another bathroom and a wine bar, and I got exactly what I wanted. So the first guy was full of it. My only recourse was that he didn't get the later business.

    Moral of the story: Stick to your guns and get exactly what you want!
  • 11 years ago

    I got a very deep soaking tub which I LOVE and never regret not having jets and air and all the stuff that gives people who know about sanitation the heebie-jeebies . . . that is for Edie, don't buy the jetted tub. Save your dollars for other stuff. Splurged on my medicine cabinets and never regret that - so much storage right there above sinks . . . mirrored in back with glass shelves, worth every penny. These run neck and neck. Windows - I upsized my bathroom windows and frosted the lower panes with privacy film so I could have more natural light - love that every day.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I regret not putting in radiant heat under the floors. Otherwise we are happy with our large shower with bench (no tub). We splurged on the custom frameless glass doors and our tile and marble slabs for the shower.

  • 11 years ago
    Radiant heat floors! That my must have.

    Overhead (in ceiling) shower heads would be a regret if I had done it. We found out we hated them at a hotel.
  • 11 years ago

    A vanity with plenty of storage and medicine cabinets as well. HATE things on counters. Keep the mess hidden.

    radiant heat floors. keep the tootsies warm.

    separate toilet . keep the romance alive!!!

    big enough shower.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Radiant floor heat and just right size shower are my favorites. Luckily the few things I'm not wild about (mirrors and cabinet handles) were the least expensive things in the room and can be easily replaced. My advise to is take your time and think long and hard what you really want and how you use the space.

  • 11 years ago
    Doug - that happened to me too in my kitchen.
  • 11 years ago
    Two vanities, walk in shower, clawfoot tub.
  • 7 years ago

    + I took space from a poorly designed closet in my bedroom and added a well organized linen closet in the bathroom.

    + Large medicine cabinet with fully mirrored interior, two doors, one of which is larger and swings open the full depth of the vanity below; it’s perfect for applying makeup, contacts etc, There Is even enough shelf room for me to move items around and give a guest an entire shelf to use -my mother loves that!

    - Taller vanity. I’m only 5’2” but I love it, as does my 6’3” s.o!

    - Bought Grohe Arden faucets and fixtures etc - and now have to turn the tub faucet and/or shower on full force before I get ANY hot water. Incredibly wasteful design. I also had said I wanted an excellent, forceful shower massage option. A Showerpik would’ve been a better choice!

    +Soaker tub. Don’t use it that often but it’s a godsend after a hard day doing yard work.