Software
Houzz Logo Print
martina901

Need help with new color palette for 1994 condo bldg lobby

11 years ago

Hello!

Our building lobby has windows/door with a bit of pink tint and the marble flooring has an array of plum, grey, and beige colors. We have white ceiling and baseboards, and greenish walls. There's a dark chocolate color feature wall by the elevators. We're going to replace the lighting fixtures, plants and furniture.

1) What color of walls do you think would make the lobby look more vibrant, elegant and full of light?

2) The mirrors make the lobby look large and reflect lots of light, but do you think it's too outdated?

3) I read that gold fixtures are back for 2015. Our building has gold fixtures (sconces, door handles, etc). Do you think we should update them but keep them gold or move to chrome?

Any suggestions are appreciated.


Comments (3)

  • 11 years ago

    Keep the gold for now, in case it is not just a passing fad (which I admit I hope it is). Put a better color on the walls, not the green, which doesn't go with the flooring. Leave the mirrors, add more seating with rugs and tables, add some lamps, and some plants, so that when people enter the space it looks more like a welcoming parlor than a hospital. (Unless it IS a hospital, but you still need seating...)

    martina901 thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    I would also leave the fixtures for now and pick the lighter tone that is in the floor to paint the walls. It looks like a taupe. I would also, like sooz001, focus on furnishings. Some contemporary / transitional furniture would warm the space. On the counter with the mirror, find a nice arrangement - a long narrow box with succulents or succulents in a glass vase (3, spaced across the area). ZGallerie has some tasteful options and you can probably find things at Home Goods. You might consider dry-walling/painting over the lower mirrored section. That part makes it more dated looking than the top (as does the countertop material).

    For the elevator area, how about a narrow console table with a large framed mirror or print above it between the two sconces?

    Can you post another picture taken from the mirrored area to the wall close to where the chairs are? Depending on size/walls/space I would find a rug (something like this: http://www.zgallerie.com/p-17333-montara-hair-on-hide-rug.aspx) and set up a grouping of a small couch/bench and a couple of chairs. Then near the window I would add a plant like this one: http://www.zgallerie.com/p-17347-potted-cycas-palm.aspx and possibly one on either side of the column where the current tall tree is. I would move that somewhere else and get a more contemporary pot/cache pot - it looks like it's floating there. You've got a lot to work with here - hope it turns out great!

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hello Martina72

    I came across your problem lobby and wanted to offer a few recommendations, In the past I've done a few lobbies and would recommend the following to you. The sketches and Photos will help give you direction. Note: I don't know your room's dimensions so alway check the size.

    1. Create a small seating area to the left of the front door, a beautiful 8 x 10 or slightly smaller carpet will be needed to anchor & define the space. A grouping of a sofa, chair and coffee + side table will be enough. To finish, a modern piece of art above sofa, the plant in an new black pot and one or two small boxes or vases on the table. ( glue it down)

    2. The niche is nice but the floating shelf is making it unusable, remove the shelf and replace the mirror. In the niche a statement piece is required either of wood or painted a color. flowers in a large vase would look best.

    3. The Back wall is the rooms' first impression, I recommend painting a 2 tone horizontal stripe only here, the Sherwin Wiliams colors are sw7036 Accessible beige and sw6037 Temperate Taupe. The beige color will be the color used on the other entry lobby walls, the Taupe color goes into the hallways and beyond.

    It should complement the existing marble floors. Trim in a cream/off white. There is a pedestal with a small sculpture now where the plant was originally. Hope this is helpful, Post a few pictures when it gets done.

    Carlos/ chambray.com

    Furinture pics - William Sonoma Home / Bohemian Style Look & Paints from Sherwin williams.

    www.chambray.com