Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xaloux

Does the art belong in this room ? Does the room work ?...

Xaloux
11 years ago
This is a room in progress...I really liked this art but not sure if it'll go in the room. Originally I wanted to have a console on this wall and some art above the console and a tall tree on the right of the console and perhaps a chair on the left side - its a long empty wall at the moment. However the width of the art would far exceed the console I was looking at. Should this art stay or go ?

I am also adding a glass cofee table from Ethan Allen ( http://www.ethanallen.ca/Rectangular-Heron-Coffee-Table/139270,en_CA,pd.html) and another small glass table between the two chairs, http://www.ethanallen.ca/Belle-Table/139283,en_CA,pd.html. These have been ordered. For the sofa end tables, I am considering this table from bombay: http://www.bombay.ca/product.php?productid=16227&cat=319 and the matching console for the bare wall. Does it all go together ?

Alternatively, should I drop the console idea and add a new seating arrangement with two chairs and a table in between with the art above ?

I really appreciate any advice I can get!

Comments (78)

• Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @anthip - the room i'm planning to use as the dining space is at the front of the house. Its not close to the kitchen but it will be more of a formal dining space so not used too often. It does have an alternate door off the side of that room. I'll play around with the furniture arrangement on the weekend.
    I'll keep searching for nicer end tables and console, will forget about the bombay ones, I ddnt quite love them anyway.
    Thanks for all your suggestions - I really appreciate it!
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    11 years ago
    if you love the art it works.
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @susan12202 - the color is bamboo by Dulux Paints.
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    K.Marshall Design Inc. - I'll look out for the right fabric to add to the drapes. I like the idea - thanks! Also, I've always admired mirrored consoles but at the same time felt intimidated by them. You dont think it'll be too much to have too much going on between the glass coffee table, potentially wooden end tables and a mirrored console ? I liked this one -
    Bassett Mirror Borghese Console Table · More Info
  • PRO
    Alexei Rebrov Art
    11 years ago
    I think it works just fine!
  • susan12202
    11 years ago
    Thank you! I'm not familiar with this brand of paint?
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Neither am I - the previous home owners did the painting. They left me a can that has the details including the shop tel#. Are you by any chance based in Toronto ?
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Xaloux..I like the idea of the mirrored table, but I'd rather see a round one between your chairs across from the sofa. Then the longer console table on the blank wall, with art above and x benches below.
    Tennyson Linen Stool, Turquoise · More Info
  • anthip
    11 years ago
    I like that mirror table. I think it might just work. Can you wait until your other items arrive and then see what you need? You may find that once the other tables are in it becomes clearer what else would and wouldn't go.

Dulux is a huge brand of paint in Europe. I suspect less so in the US although I'm not sure.
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Love the rug, sofa, and chairs and all the links you provided for the furniture pieces. Excellent! LOVE the painting Darzy suggested and judyg's alternate idea for your mirrors and console area as well as hanging the art over the sofa. This space is HUGE and there is some void areas-that's fine---but because it opens up to the entry, dining, hall, etc. I suggest adding more drama with deeper, richer wall color for this particular space. Think sophisticated, classy, and elegant. The pic I've attached is for inspiration---walls are a bit darker than what I envision, but those gorgeous chairs are quite close to the hue of your rug and pillows---I just had to share this color combo-though I'm sure whatever you decide will look lovely. Good Luck!
    http://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=5165&relatedPhotoId=7237&index=0
  • PRO
    Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
    11 years ago
    Your choices so far are fine. I had the same issue with a rug that was perfect except it did not come in the size I wanted, so i just put a larger seagrass rug under first and then the decorative rug on top. This solved the problem. I would move the art over the sofa and use the other wall decorative items over the console. Add two chairs to either side of the console and a lamp on the console. This should help and not cost much of anything.
  • silvc
    11 years ago
    Absolutely not - the scale is too small for the wall. You can have the ugliest pix, as long as the scale is right, it works.
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Darzy - I'm still going with the round glass table from Ethan Allen in between the chairs. Those are already ordered, but I have to wait for what seems like a lifetime (8-12 weeks) for them to arrive :). I love the torquise linen stools, I wonder if I can find something like that here - will keep my eyes open. Thanks for the ideas!
    @Natalie - thx for the inspiration. Those chairs are lovely. I have strict instructions from hubby to focus on one room at a time, so will ony be touching the dining room after this room is complete but guess its never too early to start thinking of what I want to get. I like the idea of deep brown tones for that room which I wouldnt have considered if it werent for the pic you shared.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    Xalous..Oh good! I much prefer the Ethan Allen glass tables. Have you already ordered the Bombay ones? I'm not "sold" on those end tables with the glass ones, that I love. As far as the "console" wall, I think something vintage, painted silver, would be beautiful.
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    No, I decided to forget about the Bombay end tables and console based on th feedback I received from all of you, plus I didnt quite love them anyway. I'll have a lot antique gold in the room, you dont think the silver will be too harsh ?
  • PRO
    Smilow + Mathiesen
    11 years ago
    I think the art is too small for the space and is too matching with the rug, but the wall Is a perfect place for a great painting or print. As an artist myself and one who thinks art gives a home it's soul, I encourage you to keep looking for a perfect piece.
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Smilow + Mathiesen - are you referring to the art on the wall, the sunburst mirrors or the 3 piece frames lying on the floor /chair ? The art on the floor/chair is definitely out now, thx to all the feedback I rcvd.
  • PRO
    Smilow + Mathiesen
    11 years ago
    Sorry--I too was referring to the art on the floor.
  • susan12202
    11 years ago
    Callous - thank you - no I'm in the South US. I appreciate the info. Your room is beautiful, and I'm sure it will be stunning when you finish it!
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thank you for all the encouragement!
  • Belle La Vue
    11 years ago
    I don't know if someone already suggested this idea for the rug (sorry didn't have time to read all the posts) but in some design book I saw where the designer placed a larger sisal rug under the main rug. The advantage of using a sisal rug under your rug would be you could get a sisal in a custom or bigger size and they are inexpensive. It would add texture and interest and help to eliminate the rug issue.
  • Belle La Vue
    11 years ago
    Here is an example of the sisal under a rug idea...

Home office · More Info

Living Room · More Info

Home office · More Info
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Hi again---the comments I made were for this room, not the dining room. :)
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thx Bonnie. Yes, someone had suggested the sisal under the rugs, in facts I was online earlier looking for it and wasnt too sure however the picture you provided really help with visualizing the look - thank you
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Natalie - ahh, I just re-read your post, I will save the idea of changing the room color for down the road when I'm ready for some more change ie after the room is done - maybe a year down the road - thx again.
  • suzstag
    11 years ago
    If you're in ole with rug and pillows the jade hue then I'd remove the picture. If you live the picture more change up the rug with a more oriental feel while pulling in the red burgundy color from the picture. Be careful not to go over board with the red/ burgundy accents though.
    Keep us posted
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The red painting went back to the store. Definitely keeping my rug and pillows. Just added a plant to the room. Will be adding a second plant - should all my pots be of the same color ? I am going to be adding a bigger Dracaena plant which will require a large pot - should I stick to the blues or get a beigish brown pot ?
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Also liked this table for the wall, but shied away because it seemed too small for the area. What do you think ?
  • altalag
    11 years ago
    yes...get the table!
  • thislittlehouse
    11 years ago
    I think float the couch on the far end of the rug and place the two arm chairs opposite (with their backs to the door way.)

Then go for some occasional tables with nice lamps, books, ornaments instead of a coffee table so that the rug can really sing! It is lovely!

A console table for the wall on the left, under the starburst/mirrors would balance that long wall with the windows on either side.

The plants in light, clean coloured pots like blues and white will look great in this space. You may also consider changing the drapes to white. The dark drapes are very subdued with the colours of your furnishings.

:) Elise
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    Love the console. It speaks to your silver pillow on the sofa too.
  • User
    11 years ago
    I love the console too! I think the area rug is wonderful with your sofa and cushions.
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all! I found a more clear picture of the console with the dimensions - you dont think it's too small for that wall ? I'm concerned about the size.....
    http://www.bombay.ca/product.php?productid=18757&cat=0&page=1
  • PRO
    Smilow + Mathiesen
    11 years ago
    This may or may not be your style but this is what I would suggest putting over the console art-wise--simple, a blast of color and makes the room look hip, fun and elegant.
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I like the colors, smilow. Although, I already have some art for that spot that I was considering placing over the console. Its hand embroidered with gem stones in the middle of the embroidered flowers...what do you think ?
  • PRO
    NexTrend Design
    11 years ago
    A lot of great ideas flowing! Here's some original art that can give you some ideas on your color scheme. The beauty of custom original art is getting the perfect size, style, and color scheme working for you to create gorgeous spaces.

Art similar to these would work beautifully with your lovely area rug. What do you think?
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    Xaloux..we haven't mentioned this yet,but your curtain panels are hugging the edge of the window. I think extending the rod about 4-5 inches from each side of the window frame would give the illusion of larger windows, hide the frame/trim and frame the sofa better. Your hand embroidery art is pretty, but I think too traditional for your space. It would be lovely in the bedroom, or even the bathroom.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    BTW. I love the pretty mirror and small console table at the entry. Is it too valuable to paint? It would really say "look at me" and pop off the wall if you painted it the pretty blue of the sofa pillows!
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    I think a low credenza would do more to ground the "floaty" feeling mentioned above. If you size it right, you can move it behind the sofa if you rearrange or even use it in the dining room. I'd put a console table, which is leggy, in the entry to keep it open feeling.
    Contemporary Dining Room · More Info

Midcentury Dining Room · More Info

East 75th Street · More Info
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @NextTrend - The paintings are lovely. Will keep my eyes open for something along those lines.
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Darzy - as always, I really value your advice,thanks for consistently helping! I know the whole curtain rod area needs work, I am choosing to ignore it until I get the furniture / art right and then I will tackle that next. I love the idea of painting the console at the entrance, its not too valuable - that ill be my summer project , can't wait! :-)
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @decoenthusiaste - the cardenza idea would certainly be a filler for the large space, thanks for giving yet another option ....still on the lookout for the perfect piece.
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    What do you think about this oil painting for my room ? http://www.qiqigallery.com/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=4
  • PRO
    Smilow + Mathiesen
    11 years ago
    wasn't able to open link--can you email me the photo pamsmilow@.me.com
  • bbishop005
    11 years ago
    Could you angle the sofa from the corner, to the let! And angle the chairs?
  • bbishop005
    11 years ago
    Or, put it on the wall to the left, but move it in a bit? Then chairs can face it and you coul do a square coffee table in middle.
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Ok, I managed to do a screen capture - does this pic go with my room decor ? Also I have a choice of getting it as a 36x24 or a 30x30...I'm concerned the 24" would be enough height and i'm not too sure of the square, I feel it needs the stretch of a rectangle...
  • PRO
    Smilow + Mathiesen
    11 years ago
    I think the painting would look okay but I don't think it is big enough...What is the width of the console under it. The painting should be the width of that or a tiny bit less. Rectangle is the way you want to go, definitely not a square in my opinion...a longer horizontal rectangle is more elegant.What is your budget for the painting? The art can make or break your space.
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Smilow + Mathiesen - glad to hear my concerns about the size are not totally unfounded :). My budget is $300....and I actually havent found the perfect console, still looking for it but I really liked this piece of art - and its got all the right colors for my room.
  • Patty Scott
    9 years ago
    real cheep, framing costs are more than $300.