Software
Houzz Logo Print
sums4you

Entryway area. What does it need?

11 years ago
I just stenciled my entryway but I feel like it's missing something. Maybe a pop of color. Looking for suggestions into jazzing this up and completing the look.

Comments (26)

  • 11 years ago

    I think its pretty and you did a great job on the stencil. There is a lot of shine, so a vase in a matte finish or something more organic would break things up. Another thing you might try is a mirror with a wood frame to pick up on the ones in the dining room. A rug echoing the stencil detail would add interest, too.

  • 11 years ago
    Here is the rug I have but wondering if it's too much
  • 11 years ago
    I love the colored jewels idea! Would you do all the same colored jewels or different and where would you place them?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Love your choices. How committed are you to keeping the lamp on the table? I see something a little shorter perhaps, with more of a weight-y base to it. The current one seems to be a bit too dainty for the space.

  • 11 years ago
    Thank you so much! I can get a different lamp for sure. I just need guidance as to what to get. Lol
  • 11 years ago
    I agree with Adivra that you need a darker frame around the mirror....something more substantial also on your table like a 12 to 16" vase with beautiful flowers to the left. Something that makes a statement!! I prefer wood myself, visit a few antique stores or places like Tuesday Morning or tjmax!?
  • 11 years ago

    sums4u very pretty. Michelle Workman did a So Cal home (Jennifer Lopez) and used this colorway. She added pops of black and pink. Maybe add one or both to your vignette.http://www.houzz.com/projects/448217/so-cal-estate

  • 11 years ago
    In looking at your pic again I will totally agree to getting a chunkier lamp also your set-up is more of a vanity for a bedroom. I love that table for the entryway though, stick with a either dark painted or wood frame for mirror with a small but more substantial base. If you can't find a frame for the mirror you have, then I would buy one even a little bit longer for that wall!!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    mirror furniture with an unframed mirror on top? WAY too much mirror. You need to get a piece of art instead of the mirror and a lamp that has heft. such as these ones

  • 11 years ago

    Hi, I think you've done a fantastic job. If anything, it just needs a pop or two of color in the accessories. See the example below. But otherwise, it's perfect IMO.

    Bruce Avenue Residence · More Info


  • 11 years ago
    Looks very pretty! What about a more substantial lamp with color & the flowers in a complementary color?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    The scale of the stencil doesn't work with the size of the itty bitty wall. It would be better to jettison the mirror in favor of some bold artwork and pull one of those bolder colors out to do that itty bitty wall as an accent. The surrounding flesh toned walls will make finding an accent color more difficult though, so you may want to consider another color for them as well.

  • 11 years ago
    IMHO the scale is fine and great drama for an entrance that is quite open giving the stencil room to be enjoyed. Agree to changing the mirror - competing with wall. Since the wall is so lovely it's the focal - something dark on the mirror table will ground it. Once the mirror is adjusted, try a different shade on the lamp (I like the lamp itself). It's easier to take the lamp shopping with you to try different shades and colors. What great work on the stencil. Wow!
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Your foyer is a "wow" as I think all foyers should be. Adding to much of a color or darkness will take away from the overall chic look. I would go and get a textured short vase in a cream color with some serious custom greenery-rich color and very nice looking. The green is natural but will hold and ground your space. Great job!

  • 11 years ago

    I'd like to see the stencil continue all around the niche. I like the way it repeats a similar shape to the two mirrors in the other room.


  • 11 years ago

    yes, do continue the stencil! It looks great. Agree with larger lamp and greenery in low vase or bowl. Rug should have less pattern. Very beautiful!

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Agree with both Sophie Wheeler and decoenthusiaste about the stencil. By itself, only on the small wall, it's out of scale. Done over all of the walls, the scale works much better, and it becomes an interesting backdrop to the mirror and mauvey pink color. Every room needs some black in it, so the black lampshade is a good idea too. A black rug would be even better. Something with some obvious texture, like woven leather, or really fluffy. It would provide the counterpoint to the shiny console and stencil.

  • 11 years ago

    To balance out the vertical lines and metallic shiny textures, you need a lamp to bring in some curves and difference in texture while keeping the feel light, feminine and glamorous.

    Here's one example:

    http://houzz.com/photos/24517518

  • 11 years ago

    It needs colour. But it's gorgeous.

  • 11 years ago

    I also like this Wayfarer lamp from Horchow on sale for $174. It brings the texture of linen and coral without adding a lot of color.

    http://houzz.com/photos/25690424

  • 11 years ago
    Well, the thing I find awkward is the lamp. The way it bisects the mirror right in half and its thin, high base make the mirror look like its hung too low. Looking at the mirror next to the door I don't think that's the case... If so, by no more than an inch or two. But I'd remove the lamp, step back from it, and think about a new lamp.
  • 11 years ago
    Or hang the mirror a touch higher, so the shade doesn't cut it directly in half.
  • 11 years ago
    Actually this is awesone. I do believe this is called glam so the mirror n desk work for that style. I wouldn't do wood. I do agree, just raise the mirror a bit. Trust yourself your doing great. Not too sure about the area rug.
  • 11 years ago
    Modern take on classic
  • 11 years ago

    I think the flowers look too small compared to the lamp and mirror. What do you think about this picture--taller flowers, very full, pop of color? https://www.pinterest.com/pin/7248049376747154/