Software
Houzz Logo Print
mcbartz

where do I put my tv?

11 years ago

please picture this room empty aside from the fireplace. (or if you have a better suggestion to update fireplace/different location please share!) Right now I feel that the tv is too big for the stand that it is on, and also too high. there is not enough seating either....would nocking down the arch way/room separator help? ignore the deer mount...that is my husbands deal. Really any suggestion to make this room better is greatly appreciated!!


Comments (36)

  • 11 years ago

    Are you thinking of all new furniture and changing style?

    I agree the TV stand is too tall. I would look for a lower one that is specifically for the TV and move the bench that is aside your TV.


  • 11 years ago

    yes, new furniture or at least a couch cover for the time being until we save enough. My husband and I really like the idea of brown leather? we got this tan suede couch when we were married and 2 kids later it is disgusting! for some reason our kids find it fun to dump sippy-cups on the couch. The chair is also junk, broke about 4 months after we had it when a large friend sat in it :/

  • 11 years ago

    I would say that our style is rustic or farmhouse. A few modern touches are ok, but defiantly no soft floral and traditional styles. We do like the color on the wall...a neutral tan/green

  • 11 years ago
    How about putting the tv in the corner between the two windows, there are corner tv stands, that will give you the wall where you have the tv right now.
  • 11 years ago
    I just notice that's we're the fire place is, maybe in the other corner.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    the tv wont work in the corner opposite to the fireplace...we just measured for that 2 nights ago thinking that would be a solution. The tv runs into the trim of the 2 double hung, leaving it at just a slightly in the corner angle; but mostly on the same wall that it is already on. does that make sense?? lol, im not always the best with words

  • 11 years ago

    how much room is there between the window behind the couch and your entry wall? could you move the sofa to the wall the TV is on and the TV to that side of the front window? there would be less glare on the screen, and you could enjoy watching both the TV and the outdoors. it also seems to me that your couch now is awfully close to the wood stove, if you don't use it I would suggest removing it for more space, but if do use it you need to work around it. love your window by the way.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Have you considered removing some things? We all accumulate too much. Can you bear to purge a bit? Remove the shelf please. Can you buy new furniture? This will help a lot. Believe me.

  • 11 years ago
    tv in front of window....that's the way I have mine since I have a small living room as well
    mcbartz thanked Rachel Rodriguez
  • 11 years ago

    Budget permitting, you could move the fireplace to the opposite side of the window and leave the TV where it is but on a lower cabinet. But frankly, wouldn't it be easier and more cost effective simply to get a smaller TV that's more adaptable to the room? If you had one that would fit between the fireplace in its current location and the window with the stained glass, the sofa could go on the opposite wall for viewing, and the rest of the furniture could be worked in around it.

  • 11 years ago

    I agree, tv is too big. this is a marital compromise lol. so in other words, my husband insisted this size tv and i lost the argument lol. It is fairly new so it wont be going any where soon. I would say swapping out the fireplace would be a better option than switching corners. There would be a lot of money in moving gas lines and patching house holes.

  • 11 years ago

    yes! Rachel Rodriguez I think that might work...what height should it be and then where does furniture go? First thing that comes to my mind is tv no higher than the top pane of glass, and to do couch agains wall where tv is, 2 arm chairs or a love seat on the large window. How do i make this look right in front of a window though? do you put a sheer behind and always leave it closed...or no window treatment at all?

  • 11 years ago

    does anyone have suggestion for what kind of stand to put it on...thinking in the rustic/farmhouse style. I have been stumped on this one for a while also

  • 11 years ago

    Cheryl Smith there is about a foot and a half between the window and entry wall, and the entry wall comes out about a foot and a half also. I see where you were going with this though. Honestly sometimes I hate this little farm house but somehow it has to work


  • 11 years ago

    Noooooo!! Please don't put your TV in front of the window. Why block the light? And how ugly does that look on the outside? While you have the perfect spot for it on that wall. Just put it on a lower, longer TV stand. Let me see if I can find some ideas for you.

  • 11 years ago

    Some ideas that will give you storage too. If you can find someone to make something (doesn't have to be more expensive than shop bought) you can have it made to the depth you desire and I'd probably choose for sliding doors that take up less space. And these all have their TV mounted on the wall which I think isn't necessary.

    Lake Minnewashta Remodel · More Info
    Traditional Family Room · More Info


    Coastal Home Renovation · More Info


    Denver Country Club Home · More Info


    Concrete Fireplace Phx HG · More Info


  • 11 years ago

    You have a beautiful room there it just needs some tweeking here and there. I also love rustic farm style and there should be several inexpensive ideas for the TV stand.


    I would start with one piece that is most important to have. I would say either change out the chair or cover the sofa which ever is more affordable.


    Once you get started then it isn't so overwhelming.


    Seems like the only placement for the TV is where it is now.

    mcbartz thanked llens1
  • 11 years ago

    and to answer your question about the fireplace, yes we do use it....this house gets awful cold in the winter and we don't like that it is close either but it was the only option we had at the time.


  • 11 years ago

    ok here it is...tv in front of the window.... sorry carolins, apparently I did this while you were protesting "Nooooo....". There seems to be some pro's and cons to either arrangement. with tv against the window it opens up the conversation area better, you can look outside while you sit in the room, the large easy chair will actually be used now (before no one would sit in it because you couldn't see the tv from it,...so if we are watching a movie the whole family piles on the couch). And the fireplace doesn't look like something to hide (although i think it is kind of ugly). Some things that are still a bit awkward....well, it is a tv in front of a window, lol. And also, there is a slightly awkward space (in the deer head corner) that seems to be lost space. O and the shelf needs to be de-cluttered in a bad way! Trust me I see it!! lol (i think it is a case of my mother and grandmother buying me too many little trinket things every time they go out). Ok people...opinions??? Im ready for the honest truth!!! (

    I shut the drapes for the picture btw)


  • 11 years ago

    ooo....I like the swivel chair idea! Although I don't think that I can completely ditch the couch....where would we go to sleep when one of us is in the dog house??? lol j/k

  • 11 years ago

    Get a super comfy, fully reclining lounge chair for the dog house!!! lol! To help with glare on the TV across from the window, how about installing plantation shutters below, leaving the stained glass exposed?


  • 11 years ago

    i have a confession to make...there is no window below the stained glass! The previous owners thought that it was a good idea to remove the windows but, direct quote "we couldn't stand to take out the original stained glass." So now just a large gaping hole leading right into the un-insulated "sunroom". So really its kind of a blank slate for that area

  • 11 years ago

    That is funny you have been busy moving stuff around!!

    Hum...anyway to close off the sun room windowless space? Or a shade perhaps that is kept closed? Would the TV work there? Or have some sort of built cabinet?



  • PRO
    11 years ago

    If you are planning on keeping the furniture and layout the same, I would mount the TV on the wall. Maybe get rid of some of the "heavy" furniture. Best of luck!

  • 11 years ago

    your "confession" provides the perfect solution! move the TV to that wall. find someone to make the perfect fit wall unit for all the stuff you now have on that shelf and the TV, books, kids toys, whatever. you also could bring the dimensions with you and look everywhere for a unit. make sure it is low enough to completely show the stained glass window. you will still be able to enjoy it and the light it brings into the room. the way you have the room now would work great then, but maybe move the recliner to the other window wall (that will now not be covered) angled by the sofa. opening the area in front of the fireplace and closing that hole should make the room a little warmer too. good luck

  • 11 years ago

    Yes, build the TV into that gaping hole. Have it all pre-wired and arranged to rotate for viewing in both rooms. This would work with shutters that could be opened or closed.


    Plaza · More Info


  • 11 years ago

    Well, there you have your solution. The gaping hole into the uninsulated sunroom! Close it, keep the stained glass, TV in front of what was the hole... voilá... problems solved.

  • 11 years ago

    while you are looking move the TV in front of that hole along with the unit you already have, looks like it will fill the space for now. hopefully you have an unfinished basement to be able to move you cable easily.

  • 11 years ago

    You mentioned that you use your fireplace because the house gets cold in the winter, so wouldn't it make sense to close off the big hole in the room? I'd do that first before any decorating.

  • 11 years ago
    If you can't close the hole , I really like the way you have the furniture arranged now. So much better!
  • 11 years ago

    Should I be worried about the shelf being too close to woodstove's pipe ? I don't know about wood stoves so I don't know if their flew pipes get hot.

  • 11 years ago

    I agree with Suzanne about the furniture placement now. Or did you do what I usually do and put everything back to the original place? : )

    It gets overwhelming at times so don't give up on this.

    Change will make the lovely space feel comfy. I would lose the shelf and hubby's antlers if possible.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    You need a plan, so start by clearing the walls and removing the shelf. It is a fire hazard, and it is not a good looking piece of decor, but rather looks like a storage shelf. If you have a collection you need to display, get a cabinet or bookcase for it. Close, insulate and wire the open window to transfer your TV connections there. If you don't install the TV into the wall itself, put a swivel base under it so you can adjust for viewing. Add your four chairs. If none of them are recliners, you can place a round hassock in the center of the grouping. If you have loungers in the grouping then you'll need a pair of side tables (arm height to their chair) for at least a couple of the chairs. Add new floor to ceiling drapes, new larger scale art, some lamps.

  • 11 years ago
    So....the room is cold, necessitating a wood stove...and there's a big open window into the uninsulated sunroom. Before you spend one cent on furniture, I would close off and insulate that wall. You could leave the stained glass. You might not need the stove after that.
  • 11 years ago

    You can remove the stained glass part of the window and hang it in your room as a piece of art. It would suit your rustic style. Then you could just drywall over the whole opening.