Software
Houzz Logo Print
ken_vermillion

3 way switch wiring in 2 gang box

11 years ago

I'm attempting to replace existing pair of 3 way switches with zwave smart switches for remote control. Of course I blindly unhooked the lights without marking any wires. I have the following:

double gang box with a 2 wire, and two sets of 3 wire (b,w,r)...these are part of 3 way to mudroom and garage lights.

each single box has a single 3 wire (b,w,r) coming in.

So, I'd like to make the mudroom 3 way into a one way, so in the single box located inside the mudroom, I twisted the red and black wires together and capped off. Capped off the white as well.

The switch in mudroom I'd like to use has 2 black wires, blue, and green (blue is capped if only single pole). The zwave switch I'd like to use for the garage has terminals for black, red, red/yellow, and white. Other garage 3 way switch will remain intact with a black, red, and white. This one seems to show voltage when switched on only (I did not unhook it). One of the 3 wire set in double gang is picking up
voltage as well...which confuses me as I thought the 2 wire was always power
from the breaker panel.

Where do I go from here?