Software
Houzz Logo Print
junspi

Need help with kitchen backsplash

11 years ago

I didn't realize how difficult it is to choose a backslash, well it has been for me! My counters are Caesarstone Blizzard and cabinets are best describe as taupe with neutral floor tile. I have 4 choices and having a hard time deciding. Please feel free to give your advice and help steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Comments (29)

  • 11 years ago

    I like the marble hex. It's light, but has some texture because of the stone.

    The two things I avoid under cabinets: lots of grout lines and dark colors.


    Jen Silva thanked Jeannine
  • 11 years ago

    I like the subway tile and marble hexagon. Good luck!

    Jen Silva thanked tiffanyz80
  • 11 years ago

    #2 hands down

    Jen Silva thanked sacapuntaslapioz
  • 11 years ago
    I like number 2
    Jen Silva thanked Jolene
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Totally agree with #2 for the pure fact of keeping light will visually increase the space, and the geometrical design will add a nice interest to the kitchen.

    Jen Silva thanked CORINNE GAIL INTERIOR DESIGN LLC
  • 11 years ago

    Hex it is! The more time I spend in the kitchen the more I love it. Thanks everyone for your comments.

  • 11 years ago

    Wow just when I thought I had it figured out my husband is not convinced on using marble for the backsplash for staining and etching! Cant seem to convince him. Has anyone had problems with it or find it high maintenance even when sealed? The marble is honed.

  • 11 years ago

    I vote for # 1. Lol Hex is modern look for your traditional kitchen. I wouldn't put marble with caesarstone just my likes though

    Jen Silva thanked jck910
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you for your honesty, I really appreciate it! I feel like I'm on a roller coaster, one min I love the hex then the next I prefer the subway tile.

  • 11 years ago

    You will never go wrong using an off-white porcelain subway tile laid in a running bond pattern. One of the least expensive, the most classic & timeless. One quick wipe with a damp washcloth to clean. Have them laid tight so very little grout lines. Use a beige grout.

    Jen Silva thanked sandradclark
  • 11 years ago

    #2 is beautiful and I think it would be difficult to stain a vertical surface -- I wouldn't worry about that. It would be different if you wanted to do marble on the countertops.

    Jen Silva thanked M Shea
  • 11 years ago
    I have marble hex as my backsplash. It was sealed once when it was installed two years ago. I have no stains or other issues. I like it because it's classic but a bit different when used in a kitchen. That would get my vote because the variation picks up the cabinets and counter.
    Jen Silva thanked intown123
  • 11 years ago

    The marble will have to be resealed periodically and it will definitely stain, much higher maintenance all around. I like the look of the subway tile. It is a more traditional look that you will be happier with long term.

    Jen Silva thanked camelialane
  • 11 years ago

    When I worried about doing an all-marble bathroom, a Turkish friend scoffed and told me that there were marble counters and tiles in her country that were older than the United States. It's a beautiful stone that isn't the bear that some people claim it is.

    Seal it, wipe up splatters. You'll be fine.

    Jen Silva thanked Jeannine
  • 11 years ago
    I have a honed marble backsplash. It was sealed prior to install. I have splashed plenty of spaghetti sauce on it. It wipes right off. I wouldn't hesitate. I like the hex the best.
    Jen Silva thanked pattikee
  • 11 years ago
    Seal marble once a year.
    Jen Silva thanked miacometlady
  • 11 years ago

    I have a marble backsplash that was sealed when I brought it. I have had it about 15 months without re-sealing. So far so good. No stains. I cook 3 meals a day 6 days a week usually. And lasagna is one of my specialties!


    Jen Silva thanked pam h
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you all for your comments this has been very helpful.

  • 11 years ago


    Here's an idea- This is mine. It is a combination of marble and ceramic tile. You could have a similar look using the subway and hexagon tile. I have to clean spaghetti sauce off the grout right away but the marble itself has never been a problem.

    Jen Silva thanked camelialane
  • 11 years ago


  • 11 years ago

    Camelialane thanks for your suggestion, I will defiantly consider that and I like your marble colour and pattern! Great job!

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I built a house recently, and something recommended by a designer was to use white subway tiles, but half of them are shiny and half are matte, randomly placed as backsplash. It's a subtle cool effect.

    Jen Silva thanked tlparks
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I like the hexagon. It brings the white of the counters up under the cabinets; it is an interesting pattern and I think it (or the white subway tile) will work best as you have the white electrical outlets to deal with.


    Jen Silva thanked JudyG Designs
  • 11 years ago

    junspi-what is the tile in your 3rd picture? I'm the odd man out, but I think it looks pretty with the wood tones in your cabinets. Not sure how it looks with the rest of the kitchen, though. It's so hard to look at backsplash tiles in isolation. Can you post a picture, so we can see more of the kitchen including the floors?

    Jen Silva thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    Karen you maybe the odd man out in houzz but every tile shop I have gone to always recommend that marble tile for my cabinet and floor colour. It is an escarpement marble and its is very pretty but I'm afraid it maybe to dark. This coming from someone who has always wanted a white kitchen! But I got married and with that comes compromising and well yeah lol But at least I have my white counter haha


  • 11 years ago

    go white.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Wow, I've never seen a marble tile with that coloring. It's pretty and I think it looks nice with both your floors and cabinets. How do you think it looks with the floors? Your floor (I have similar ceramic tile in my kitchen) has some yellow undertones in it, so I'm thinking you need to go with something that works with the floor, too. It's not as neutral as one thinks. After seeing your flooring, I would definitely NOT go with the white subway tiles (nothing will tie the flooring in with everything else; however, the hexagon shaped marble tile is nice and may work because it has variations in the colors. I would really recommend you placing all your samples up against the floor and take some pictures. It's so important for the backsplash to work with the floor. I've made that mistake before and it cost us!

    Jen Silva thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    I feel like if I go with the off white subway tile I'm safe but the hex is gorgeous and does have some yellow in it that pulls off the floor hard to see in pics. I need to not rush into this but it has been 2 yrs :/ thanks again for ur opinion