Software
Houzz Logo Print
jennyzap

Living room dilema

11 years ago
This is my main floor living room. I'm not happy with how it is - but I'm not sure what to do. The pictures on either side of the fireplace need to go - but would like some input on what to replace them with.

Comments (10)

  • 11 years ago

    Pretty room. I would get a bigger rug, one with a pattern would be nice. I think you need larger pictures on the side of the fireplace, best to buy art that you love

  • 11 years ago

    Heavy black frames, larger, ideally pieces with some color (the red and more).


  • 11 years ago
    A large rug to anchor the space. The chairs are the wrong style more like dining room. Add a coffee table
  • 11 years ago

    Hi,

    I agree with mmsmadison's comments about the rug, chairs and coffee table.

    You have a beautiful and spacious room. I can see large size etageres on either side of the fireplace which would really ground the room.

    Good luck!

  • 11 years ago
    I would reorganize. place two chairs together. drape chair with a great throw. more tv to space under the pass though. tv's don't have to be up so high. use the mantle for one or two great pieces. imagine a sculpture there. reorient the sofa to view the tv under the pass though. now place low table behind the sofa and place taller object on it....a lamp or two. could get matching tall shelving to place on either side of fireplace....don't over crowd . each display item needs white space
  • 11 years ago
    I would take the 2 photos beside the fireplace and put them above the console table. Take the mirror above the console table and turn it vertical an put it on one side of the fireplace. Find a piece of art similar in size to the mirror that is vertical and put it on the other side on the fireplace.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    -larger patterned rug (@ least!! 2’ longer and 2’ wider)

    -anchor tv to wall in the niche so you can angle it down towards sofa for better viewing and it feels likes its more part of the whole fireplace rather than just another thing sitting on top of the mantle. I would also consider painting the sides and back of tv niche white to give the whole fireplace more of a presence

    -get rid of everything else on mantle (too cluttered)

    -move large picture frames from console table to corner shelf (from now on ask for smaller sized photos and buy different frames (for frames: either the color has to be common theme, or the design. if want all black frames, then you can buy different styles in black. if you want different colors of frames, pick 1 style you like and get it in no more than 3 different colors)

    -add a couple of pillows with pattern to the sofa (include blue from wall and maybe red in the pillow to tie it all together)

    -hang draperies even though you have blinds. even just sheers that you never close on each end of the window and put rod almost to ceiling so creates sense of height in room

    -bottom shelf of console can hold a basket for extra blankets, and is that a dog bed?

    On top of console only put a couple of decorative items the flower vase, a small photo and a candle grouped together off-center

    -if you want to keep the 2 pictures on either side of the fireplace, replace the frames with black frames that are a little thicker than the current silver frames and you can rehang them


    You have a great start, and with just a couple of little changes and additions your room is going to be perfect!

    Jenny thanked adalisa frazzini
  • 11 years ago
    @ilikefriday - I never noticed that everything was the same height! lol
  • 11 years ago

    @adalisafazzini - THANK YOU! I love all the suggestions. The only problem is with the TV niche its quite deep. I've never mounted a tv before so I'm not sure how far it would be able to come forward (and if that would look strange). I do love the idea of painting the inside white though!

    And yes - that is a dog bed :S It keeps him off the couch... sometimes. There is no bottom shelf though. Baskets would have to sit on the floor.