Software
Houzz Logo Print
mollyollio

Tray color suggestions

11 years ago
The wall color is livable green and we originally chose a darker (aqua) I dont exactly more blu/green. The design woman suggested we go with this emerald color but we dont really like it. It's too dark, what color will suit it and lighten up the look?

Comments (16)

  • 11 years ago

    This rug will be on the floor and it has quite a variety of colors, harder to see in the photos due to bad lighting.


  • 11 years ago

    My PC does not give me a true rendition for colors. Are you asking only about the darker color used around the ceiling? Does it not go with the walls? I'm not sure what your question is. That is a small enough area to repaint if you aren't happy with just that color.

  • 11 years ago

    That is a gorgeous rug which will go with any color chosen. That is the real beauty in choosing an Oriental rug.

  • 11 years ago
    Yes Sandra, we are only unhappy with the dark color around the ceiling.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    do a llight gray ceiling with a darker gray trim?


  • 11 years ago

    Pick a color that you like better that goes with the new wall color & paint just the emerald that color. You can buy sample paint cans to paint on poster boards to compare in the room at different times of the day. Even a black or charcoal will go especially with your area rug. It being such a small area I would not hesitate going with that sort of color.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I just played with Behr color trials, and found this combo. It approximates what I think is a coordinating type color instead of the emerald.

    It's the eucalyptus leaf. Be advised that color match stuff online doesn't have a true online match to the real thing. This is just a suggestion for visual...

    http://www.behr.com/consumer/colors/paint#paint

    this link only gets you to behr. But search for Eucalyptus leaf and imagine...

  • 11 years ago
    Why not stay in the same paint strip and just go one or two intensities darker? Or just use the same green.
  • 11 years ago

    I think perhaps your dissatisfaction with the emerald stripe is because it stands out so much now. The rug is gorgeous, and I might drag a few things into the room just to see how much it takes the focus off that stripe (which, by the way, I like:). also, I bet an awesome painting above the fireplace will do wonders for shifting your attention from the green stripe.:). However, with that being said, if you really don't like it, as another reader said, just grab the same paint strip that it is in, and go two values lighter.

  • 11 years ago

    Beautiful room. I really love all the small details and trim in the room. Your brick fireplace, soft green wall color, and floors work so nicely together. Can't wait to see your space after the area rug is down. Agree the dark green is not working. It pulls your eye directly to it but doesn't compliment the livable green. I would suggest either painting the tray the same color or slightly lighter than the wall color. Where did you get your area rug?

  • 11 years ago
    I like the idea of replacing the dark green with the livable green. We already have extra paint and we cam play with other colors later. We bought the rug in India, its a hand knotted wool rug from Kashmir.
  • 11 years ago

    How about picking out the soft Sienna color in the rug to use for the tray color? This will pick up/pull out the color in the fire place stone while keeping the room warm and light...will also play off the complementary colors wheel (red/brown & green) and be at home with your lovely wood floors. I also like the idea of a lighter green, maybe even close to the sage that's in the rug. What other pieces are you adding to the room that might help you decide?

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I would paint the smaller trim a midtone terra cotta (color in the rug) and the main body of the coffered ceiling in the lighter tone terra cotta (in the rug). The ceiling will feel higher and have a lot of interest.

  • 11 years ago
    Hi I think you could pull a beige out of carpet and fireplace brick for the trim on ceiling
  • 11 years ago
    can you do the tray is a darker or light light shade of the living green color. I feel like if you keep the room monochromatic then the green will feel more like a neutral than if you use the emerald green or the aqua. that is just my opinion.

    I opted for three shades of green for my paint scheme where i have trays. the darkest green is on the wall. the first tray is 70% of the wall color. the center tray is 50% of the wall color.