Software
Houzz Logo Print
nini804

Fire glass for fire pits?

11 years ago

Hi everyone! We are doing a little project in our backyard....basically extending our existing patio to include a built-in grill/outdoor kitchen area and then a larger paver patio with a seating wall and fire pit. We already have a wood burning fireplace on our covered porch which we love and use often...but wanted a larger more open area for people to gather around at parties and for our teen son, tween daughter to enjoy with their friends.

Our contractor has kind of sold us on gas rather than wood burning for a couple of reasons....1. We already are running the gas line there for the grill and 2. He said that without a chimney, a wood burning fire pit basically smells like a bonfire, which is fine for locations well away from the house, but this area is right at the master suite. I like to have windows open and would not like smelling wood smoke in my house, lol! Another reason for the gas is that we already have a wood burning fireplace on porch so if someone wants a "real" fire they can have at it!

Does anyone on here have a gas fire pit? We don't need the actual pit as the contractor is making a custom brick one...but I wanted to see what people were using to cover the elements. Ceramic logs seem odd to me for an outdoor application, you know, since there are real trees steps away...but what do I know? Lol! Contractor said some people use lava rocks, but he seemed high on fire glass. Does anyone here have that? I have to admit, I was mesmerized by the photos of it. Our home is very traditional, though, and the kitchen/patio/fire pit will be of brick construction...wasn't sure if the fire glass was too "funky?" Lol! Any opinions welcomed!

Comments (17)

  • 11 years ago

    We have glass crystals in our gas fp insert (with brick surround, which we painted black as part of our FR reno). We love the how black glass crystals sparkle when the fp is on. I saw new, different shape crystals on the fp co.'s site recently. They look like clear (glass) pebbles (like semi-flattened marbles), that would probably look nice, too.


    You don't have to do this, but I remove all the crystals prior to start of fp "season" and wash them in a bucket of soapy water. The carbon build-up (especially builds up around the flame ports), from running the fp all winter, washes right off, and we start out the season with clean, sparkly crystals again. It's not necessary that you do this, but the crystals do start to look dull over time otherwise.


  • 11 years ago

    That sounds so nice! Do you have a pic? I am like you, I could totally see myself washing the glass rocks!

  • 11 years ago

    Oh, how pretty! I am definitely leaning towards these for our fire pit. Thank you so much for posting!

  • 11 years ago

    Very glad to help! Be sure to post pics of the fire pit when it's completed!

  • 11 years ago

    We used glass in our fire it, I might change the color down the road, but having that option is one of the neat things about glass -- there are many looks. I don't love the lave rock in our gas fireplace and would like to change that out to glass too. Here' a link to some photos of similar ones with amber glass, We used a dark grey to tie in with the veins in the granite top we put on it.

  • 11 years ago

    What a pretty style fire pit...the amber glass looks very natural compared to some of the blue glass I was looking at. It appears I could go with amber, black like cat-mom, or grey like you did for a more subtle look. That is probably best for me, although my dd wants the bright blue, lol! I guess you are right...I could change it if needed so it isn't a permanent choice. Thank you for posting!

  • 11 years ago

    We did consider a blue to go with our pool tile and might have gone that route if the granite had any blue or the right greys in it. I found the fire pit online but had to order through a dealer. The guy there showed us the stock glass, but also larger pieces. Some are larger crumbles and others look like small ice cubes or gems. I think he called one of them liquid ice -- the name because of how it reflects the light and looks melted from the fire. He said some people us one color for most of the glass and then scatter some of a different color on top or use some clear or colored larger pieces to catch the light on top.

    If I recall correctly, our pit has a dish that is about 24 inches wide and not too deep. The glass just covers the burner and I think we needed 80 lbs of glass. The glass runs several dollars a pound, so it is easy enough to change out, but it may not be cheap -- especially if your contractor is building a large brick pit. I assume he will insert a pan for the burner and make it more shallow? You may want to ask about that.

  • 11 years ago

    Oh wow, good point! I will definitely ask about that....it could get crazy expensive if it had to be filled deeply. Thanks for the advice!

  • 11 years ago

    We installed one a couple years ago. Selected gas as, like your contractor advised, the bonfire effect from wood does not do nicely with clean hair. Ours has a domed metal cover to keep moisture off the fire-glass and we have a vinyl cover to protect the entire fire pit.

    Here is a link to photos of out patio. You will need to scroll several pictures to see the fire pit. We wanted it to be different than the patio so put about 4 inches of stone in the fire pit area.

    http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/treeshouse/library/?sort=6&page=0

  • 11 years ago

    Oh my goodness, fnmroberts! Your yard is lovely! I like the idea of a cover...very smart. Thank you so much for sharing...I am definitely going with the glass after hearing from everyone on here!

  • 11 years ago

    nini804 - Thank you for the nice compliment. My DH is an old farmer with a green thumb. Actually those photos are from two years ago and things have filled in since. Just realized I connected the complete collection, not just the outdoors - glad you found what I intended to show.

  • 11 years ago

    cat_mom: how noticeable is the carbon build up on your black fireglass? I have white reflective fireglass in my fireplace and the carbon looks terrible (and happens in one specific spot every time we use the fireplace). I'm worried about investing money in black reflective fireglass, only to have the carbon be very visible on it as well.

  • 11 years ago

    It's probably equally noticeable, except it appears white-grey on the black crystals. It's concentrated across the ports (a 1-2" wide line that goes across the crystals from one side of the insert to other). Over the course of the season, carbon film dulls all the crystals in our fp, but the area where the flames come out is the worst, and most noticeable.

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks, cat_mom!

  • 11 years ago

    You're welcome! I do have to say, that the crystals outside of that section over the ports don't really appear cloudy (filmy) unless you're looking at them closely with the fp OFF. It's the sort of thing, where it happens gradually, so you don't really notice that the crystals aren't as shiny clean, or they don't sparkle as much, until you clean them. Kind of like not noticing before, but then seeing how much cleaner a wall mirror is or a glass tabletop is after you clean it.

  • 6 years ago

    Pretty well, the Fire Glass I bought on this website-https://grillpartsreplacement.com/search?type=product&q=Fire+Glass&options%5Bprefix%5D=last worked well and activated the barbecue atmosphere.