Software
Houzz Logo Print
house2514

Matching chairs or not?

11 years ago

I am still working on room- am having hard time finding matching chairs that are a reasonable price, so wondering if I have to have matching chairs - they won't be next to each other but will go on each side of media chest. I have found several chairs at Home Goods for like $250 but they always have just one. Also I have one glass door on left side of fireplace and a window on other side. Will it look bad to just have curtains at window and just use blinds on door? Many thanks!


Comments (10)

  • 11 years ago
    I like the idea of less symmetry in your room. Having said that, it might be heavy on the budget, to alter everything at once. So if you decide to get a pair of matching chairs, you can live with symmetry for a while, and then, when you tire of it you can set them apart with other pieces to create different vignettes. To solve your chair problem go to http://www. Wayfair.com This is a monster site with millions of pieces online. They do daily sales with deep-deep discounts, so you can get what you need for a song. If you hate paying shipping or taxes (I do) check out overstock.com, another massive online discount retailer. That would give you price comparison, as they often sell identical pieces to Wayfair. Otherwise, lovely room and don't worry.
  • 11 years ago
    Also, think about those two pics hanging above the TV, instead of on the sides. It will create an impression of a tall "hutch" and free up the space to the sides. Otherwise it seems like the TV and pics form a strong horizontal line that divides the floor from ceiling and squashes the room. If you could install a chair rail and paint a different color underneath it that would be a better solution for a horizontal line in the room. And it's not expensive or complicated. Could be done DIY, easily. And better than chairs.
  • 11 years ago
    Is it some silk plant in the right corner of the room? It looks for a companion like a comfy club chair with an ottoman for a reading nook.
  • 11 years ago
    Is it a gorgeous hutch to the right of the glass door? Looks like it. It really doesn't belong in such a lowly position. It is begging to be returned to a prominent spot in the house. Is there a matching dining set in another room with enough space for the hutch? If yes, do what it takes to free up enough space and put it there. Otherwise, if this room is the only one where it can be situated, is there any way that you can relocate the TV and couch elsewhere and make this room a dining room? The fireplace would make it absolutely gorgeous. The hutch will match the height and importance of the fireplace and I think of that Christmas dinner by roaring fire! It would be absolutely perfect.

    As to the little console under the table, it is too poor and cheap for the room. So it is begging to be put someplace more casual. If you have a secondary room in the house, just move the pieces, you will be surprised at how much better the house looks.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Your room is coming along nicely! Love some of the changes you have made. Agree you can probably find a set of chairs at World Market reasonably priced-but if you use a chair in the corner next to the fireplace, it may feel too crowded there with the hutch under the window. As far as window treatments, I think roman shades would look great. They would soften you space. I think the 2 need to match since they are in the same room and close together. Curtains may end up taking up too much space.

    Another option would be to remove the blinds from the door (if you don't need the light control or privacy) and just do a window treatment on the window. My french doors are bare, but we don't need light control or privacy.

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you all for suggestions- the piece under the window is a drop leaf dining table that is going to my daughter- I have to refinish for her-LOL- I am going to stack the prints- just waiting to get all the pieces of furniture and then play with all the accessories. I have made some more changes- these were older pics that I posted- the rug has moved over and sofa is pulled out from wall and now legs are sitting on rug- that was one of houzz suggestions. Fireplace is not complete yet either.

    Natasha Assa---the piece you are talking about is an antique secretary that was my mother's.

    I already have a dining room over flowing with furniture- going to get rid of some of that too.

  • 11 years ago
    House2514, really think about the importance of the room in the house vis-a-vis furniture pieces. I feel that sometimes it's better to switch the functions of rooms, if furniture in one of the rooms better matches the significance of another room. I see it time and again - tiny TV consoles push out oversized heirloom pieces from the more prominent parts of the house. And it's a shame, really. Try to enjoy those pieces and give them pride of place until you can replace them with something more significant for your television viewing experience. Until then scale the TV down to another room. Hope it helps.
  • 11 years ago
    And here is a great example of switching dining room over to the living room with a fireplace:

    http://houzz.com/photos/6613245
  • 11 years ago

    Hi House2514, a couple of my favorite designers on Houzz have some really nice projects featuring non-matching side chairs even non-matching sofas. So although we probably see more rooms with chairs that match, I think that (just like anything else that you add to or modify in a space) as long as the pieces go with what you have already in the space and complement each other (in scale, style, etc.), it'll be fine. It's ultimately how you feel about it.

    Btw, a while back when we were interviewing potential designers for our own home, I actually asked one of the designers (of one of the firms whose pics are posted below) why many of their projects featured 2 different sofas. She said they many times encouraged clients to go this way because they felt it added more interest in the space (among other reasons). I tend to agree with that....although not sure yet if I would be brave enough to follow though. Having said that, looking back I wish I'd gone with that firm vs. the other we chose....but I digress... :-)

    Anyway, perhaps post the non-matching chairs you find before purchasing to get opinions.




    Locust Hills Drive Residence 3 · More Info


    Palmer Pointe Road Residence 2 Lower-Level Family Room · More Info




    Georgian Stone Estate · More Info