Software
Houzz Logo Print
heppy72

1950s sandstone fireplace remodel?

11 years ago
We just inherited this 1950's home and are trying to visualize the possibilities with this fireplace. Any ideas?

Comments (61)

  • 11 years ago

    Stain? Call in a professional to see what they can do. The existing stone appears to be in good shape and the style is right on par for what is being used today. Maybe a few different stain colors? Good luck.

  • 11 years ago

    If you look at the timecapsules on Retro-renovation, a number of them seem to have stone with a very graphic effect due to contrasting grout, so it could be original.

    I would probably ignore the shelves altogether, or put one large item on each. I would be afraid to "amputate" the shelves, I've seen this and often they just look broken.

    The strong statement this sort of thing makes is a double edged sword: It's very interesting and graphic, but then the typical sort of stuff around a fireplace or typical sorts of things you would hang on a large wall, tend to look "excessive". If you replaced the black grout with matching white grout and the stone was all just texture, it would be a different story and you could decorate on top of it. This is almost like trying to decorate on top of elaborate wallpaper, with the added limitation that your fireplace is not at all "traditional" so can't take layering well.

    Look at the Edward Durell Stone "House of Good Taste" that was recently renovated on Retrorenovation: the stone is similar but the matching grout makes it textural rather than graphic:

    http://retrorenovation.com/2014/12/01/edward-durell-stone-house/

  • 11 years ago

    Oooooooh, I think I'm in love. Could we see the rest of the room, please? This is so MCM, it makes me swoon. Please don't touch that fireplace. Look at MCM rooms on houzz for ideas.


  • 11 years ago

    I'll return later and try to do this room justice. In the meantime, don't do anything foolish here, y'hear? ;-)

    Driftwood · More Info


    Ragley Hall Residence Living Room · More Info


  • 11 years ago

    Love this fireplace! Leave it is. If you get rid of all the decor and current chairs and go with something MCM it would look soooo fabulous!


  • 11 years ago

    Groveraxle you posted the MCM livingroom I love "Ragley Hall Residence"- swoon!


  • 11 years ago

    love the fireplace and would not do anything with it except removing everything on it and keep it clean and simple. Love the wood ceiling too. I'm also waiting for grover to do a mockup of something. A picture of the rest of the room would help evaluate the room better.

  • 11 years ago
    Agree, don't you dare touch it! It's a classic but in a good way!
  • 11 years ago
    Love it.
  • 11 years ago

    Often dark grout is a negative, but the shapes it 'makes' look great - a focal point.

  • 11 years ago

    stunning wall!

  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for any/all comments and ideas!

    Here are some additional pictures (ignore the current decor and furniture) of the remainder of the room. Open to any/all ideas! Have at it! THANKS!
  • 11 years ago
    Wow! So many memories in that room! I think first thing is to remove everything and give walls and floor a good washing to give you a clean slate as you decide about where to hang art, etc...wood walls tend to have surprises behind pictures and such...
  • 11 years ago

    Maybe the grout color cab be changed. If trying to brighten things up, you can paint the paneling. Would be cheap and easy. If you don't love that finish,mthe drywall and paint to suit.

  • 11 years ago

    I love your fp! I would add a mantle. What do you like?

  • 11 years ago

    I'd investigate lightening the grout. Then edit the accessories--go big and few. Wish I had that fireplace!


  • 11 years ago

    I should add, don't put anything on the stone shelves, but don't take them out either.


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I had to come back and swoon over that fireplace. I do like the dark grout as it adds greater contrast between the lighter sandstone and adds a stronge graphic or almost sculptural element.

    Because the fireplace seems - at least to me - to be a piece of art in itself and an obvious focal point, I'd be very careful about breaking up its lines with any displays on the ledges. Yes, that may have been the original intent but certainly not a necessity today..

    50s era homes and decor are in such demand now .They sell in days here, even those in need of significant restoration and repairs.

    I grew up with some classic pieces from the time and the furniture, including couches, was actually very comfortable (at least what we had). Very convincing reproductions can be found at reasonable prices.

    This site is fun for ottomans, pillows, even throw blankets for couches. Just be sure to scroll down the page and check out Other Products You May Like to see other options for mid century design inspired pieces : http://www.zazzle.com/gifts?sr=250921569919575933&ch=mcmstyle&pg=8

    Etsy can also be a good source of authentic pieces, even furniture.

    Some cool repro pillows can be found at zazzle.com http://www.zazzle.com/mid_century_modern_graphic_design_throw_pillow-189618188165385579 Look for some with colors that work and have fun!

    And be sure to check out Target, using the search words of Mid Century Modern. Some pleasant surprises there!


  • 11 years ago

    Initially I didn't like the dark grout but after studying the pictures I think it is cool. No mantle. Not every fireplace is meant to have a mantle.

  • 11 years ago

    Sorry I didn't get around to removing the vertical blinds. They have to go, you know. If, perchance, there is concrete under that carpet, polish it. It'll be perfect. Start by emptying the room. Then sit in your garden chair, stare at this magnificent fireplace, and imagine how Danish modern will bring it to life.


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Groveraxle: if privacy is a concern what would you do for a window treatment? As A nod to the style, I like this Danish modern rocker in black but is it true Danish modern? : http://midcenturymodernist.com/2009/furniture-objects/lounge-chairs/danish-modern-rockers/

    And this: http://www.manhattanhomedesign.com/olsen-lounge-chair-by-hanz-wegner.html

    And perhaps an Arco light? http://www.kardiel.com/modern-classic-lighting/arched-floor-lamp/

  • 11 years ago
    I'm the odd one here. Not a big fan of MCM, but have friends who are and have lovely homes. SO....... If you love the style, go all the way with it. The wall is a great focal point, just go all in. If it is not your thing, reface it, but have a whole plan. There are so many ways to go.
  • 11 years ago
    I think it is fabulous! The one thing I might think about, is painting the dark beams lighter. I would suggest a decorator to help you reach the room's full potential. I think they could also help on how to use 50's elements and colors to get the vibe without necessarily going whole hog. I agree with those who say the grout is original, and I wouldn't risk mucking it up by trying to change it. Head to your library and get some books about mcm for some ideas. Watching the feedback on this one is going to be fun!
  • 11 years ago
    inspiration. 63" starburst mirror will add wow. then mid century modern furnish around.
  • 11 years ago
    I think the stone wall adds interest and if you like it, keep it. I would not keep the floating art shelves. They are too high and too small for the space. Not a fan of the stone continuing across the pony wall.
    I suggest removing the wood panel walls. This would really lighten and update nicely.
    Love your ceilings as is.
    What a great home!
  • 11 years ago
    Wow look what I found! Looks like yours and is beautiful!! http://houzz.com/photos/186292
  • 11 years ago
    If your shelves continue to feel weird once you have sorted out the decor, you could box the in with two mantles like in the above photo- one covering the shelf to the left, one covering the two on the right.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Mason's really can chisel the shelves off without it looking broken when they are done if you want to remove the shelves. I would. In this space, I would pick a light greige / dark white and wash all the paneling so it was approximately the color of this stone . . (cut the paint in half with water - let it soak in / tannins read through then repeat if you want it lighter - you'll still have all the grain, but the room will feel larger) Leave the wood beams, but paint out the ceiling itself - it will feel lighter and brighter. Polyshades all the doors and door frames darker to echo the beams - polyshades them one tone darker for high contrast against the dark white ceiling. Test bm gray mist or going to the chapel to see how close they are to the stone.

    This is an amazing space and I'm sure it is in a prime location. Consider planting the planter area with succulents - they don't need much water. An 18" x 36" greige porcelain tile in running bond across the short distance would make great flooring here underneath some terrific rugs. If the budget allows, you might want to replace the series of glass panels and sliding doors with the La Cantina doors that disappear / open fully if you are in a climate that gives you six months or more of indoor outdoor living. Basically - even in a vintage house, with paint, potentially new flooring and new lighting, you can make a house feel pretty current. You can catch up to the countertops / equipment / bath and kitchen issues - if there are walls you know you want to take down or openings you want to widen, do it before you do the floors - or do the floors in an inexpensive berber weave on an upgraded pad for now and don't regret reworking those when you know what you want.

  • 11 years ago

    Heat can hurt the tv. Some good advice above.

  • 11 years ago

    Where is the OP? She told us to have at it, then left, and hasn't returned.


  • 11 years ago
    I'm here...appreciating the images, suggestions and ideas! Busy with two residences now and one that has a LOT of wood paneling and many memories that need to be cleansed of. Not a big fan of mid-century so everyone's help is appreciated as I try to envision what to do on this main floor, with a spiral staircase to the basement, olive green appliances and kitchen...while taking care of a two year old. Thankful for this gift though....I think! Grateful for the advice and ideas!
  • 11 years ago

    OP??

  • 11 years ago

    I lived though this era once, not my favorite, but that fireplace is classy and impressive. I wouldn't muck with it, but keep it as is at least until you have a good idea of what you want the room to be. Then either put three matching horizontal sculptural MCM objects on the shelves, ignore them or remove them (I wouldn't remove them myself) but whatever you do don't be too hasty in deciding. Once they're gone, they're gone.

  • 11 years ago
    OP = Original Poster, I think. :)
  • 11 years ago
    A professional stone mason can remove the ledges for you. At least the middle one. Then a very large piece of colorful mid century abstract art.
  • 11 years ago
    Ooh would love to see the rest of the house. I would not remove ledges, I would agree w above-three cool mcm pieces, feel it for a while and if you don't like them I think those long off-center ledges like I posted would be stunning.
  • 11 years ago

    I just wanted to say how much I love that fireplace and that room has so much potential.

  • 11 years ago

    Love the stone fireplace. I hope you keep it as is.

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Great fireplace! If you want to down play the contrasting grout, you can purchase epoxy grout paint from your local tile store in multiple colors. It's a little tedious, but you won't risk damaging stone.
    Alternatively, you can install wood framing in front of the entire wall of stone and Sheetrock and paint and add your own stone or wood mantle and hearth. That way if you move, the next homeowner has the option of taking your wall down and exposing the stone again.
  • 11 years ago

    Cool fireplace. I wouldn't change a thing. I hope others will have ideas about how to make that spiral staircase next to the fireplace safer for toddlers.

    You did not ask about clearing the rooms, but I suggest it would be easiest to take everything outside, then pick a few items to keep. Many family members hire an estate sale company to handle everything.


  • 11 years ago
    I also love the ceiling and the way it works w the grout and stone.
  • 11 years ago
    This is a lovely inheritance. Hire a decorator who understands the home and your style. Don't rush.
  • 11 years ago
    With respect to all the houzzers saying "don't touch it and add the nods to the fifties era etc" if you don't care for mid century modern, you need to make some changes. What's your style? traditional? Modern (as in modern this era not fifty years ago?) Fill us in! I also have young kids, and I like a cozy, yet up to date bright, light filled traditional home. I like classic elements with character like wainscoating and built-ins, that add beauty and function. If I inherited this home (especially free!) I would consult with a mason as suggested and reconsider that dark mortar. I would lighten those ceilings and remove that carpet and do new flooring. I would replace all the doors in the house to something more up to date and probably either leave some of the wall paneling either having it painted or whitewashed, but likely I would replace most of it with drywall and then paint it do some touches of wallpaper. I would add some beautiful fabric drapery panels (only) likely hung high to soften the angles. I would use soft rugs and contrast in shapes such as a round ottoman. You can also play off that curbed side of the fireplace. can you keep those two blue chairs and that settee? If yes, utilize them and reupholster! Decorating is a good distraction from toddler world, I have three kids under five!
  • 11 years ago

    IMO, it's futile to fight the bones of a house. Better to tear it down and start over or sell it and buy one with the bones you want.


  • 11 years ago
    MCM can be a bit of an acquired taste. Watch a couple of seasons of Mad Men. Give it a chance to grow on you.
  • 11 years ago
    It will be so so cool if you do it right, the reason some people don't care for it may have to do with the fact that it is so often associated with the out-of-place furnishing and decor and life accumulation of the elderly, as seems to be the case here. You could put in stock colonial elements like 6 panel doors and a chair rail and a traditional fireplace but the place would look no less Frankenstein-esque than it does now! I agree w Grover, sell if you find that you can't embrace.
  • 11 years ago

    Agree with groveraxle. Many would really love this house. If you don't, sell it and find one that you do love rather than trying to make this into something it's not meant to be.

  • 11 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/737279 who wouldn't love this? Your home will be THE place to be. Epic entertainment possibilities. I'm jealous!!
  • 11 years ago

    Here's a recent mcm update near UC Berkeley where they whitewashed all but the core walls - ceilings, beams, all paneling, put in darker wood floors and La Cantina doors. You don't need to do all contemporary decor in a contemporary house. Go look at Barbara Barry's hollywood regency furnishings and you can see them at home in this architecture - or you can mix high low - barry type finds in consignment stores with special ikea pieces. https://www.houzz.com/photos/barbara-barry-furniture-phbr0lbl-bl~l_11879

    I hear you about the avocado green. If you post photos here of your kitchen, we can give you some budget advice that will make it darling. There is actually such a thing as appliance spray paint - paint is almost always your best bang for buck approach.

    The spiral staircase may require a 3/4" finished plywood top floor hatch for safety reasons temporarily (this is a DIY project with a jigsaw, some cleats on the bottom, maybe an eyebolt and rope) .. but the need can be resolved by time, since a 3-4 year old will navigate that safely.

    As for memorabilia - may I offer some unsolicited advice gained from family who learned this lesson the hard way? My own grandmother developed this system to deal with her estate after watching the bad feelings that happened when she and her siblings dealt with the loss of their own parents. Things went to non family members before family members had a chance to speak up and caused friction between the sibilings and their children for many years.

    If there is another home - someone else in the family or almost better - a neutral in-law location, where you can transport all the unwanted "trophies, memorabilia" and put them in a garage for a temporary time frame - say 2-3 weeks maximum. With email or a doodle poll, in advance offer a specific time frame when one person representing each branch of the family will be required to represent that group / invite them to all come together.

    Each family branch (represented by each child of the original owners) gets a turn - The system works by "taking turns." You can roll dice to set the order that selection will go in. Have each representative (they can be advised by any family members they bring) take turns picking what they want to keep / keepsake / or hand down in that branch. That way you won't have people traipsing around your new place, or discussing things that are not leaving your home, but everything that belonged to grandparents doesn't just disappear without an opportunity to have something that might have special meaning even though it is really not valuable.

    The garage is perfect because it is a big group that may gather (you will be surprised) but also because you can schedule Goodwill or another thrift shop to pick up within a week of the selection without taking the garage function away for too long. People will know that they need to take what they pick with them, or arrange to pick it up within three days or goodwill will take it.

    You can even take items that represent items - a photo of anything you don't want to transport / too big to transport/ but that you would like to get rid of. If logistics is an issue, you might use movers to move the stuff there - that clears this out for you so you can begin to deal with the reality. You don't want this gathering at the house. It is too much - you guys still have the bigger job to deal with and you don't need family thinking they get dibs on things that you need there or telling you what you should do in the house.

    It can be worth it to go through this for scarves jewelry clothing tschotzkes awards - furniture, art, collections, and so forth. It will buy you a lot of good feeling in a family that may otherwise harbor resentment. No one in the family can say they weren't given a chance.

    You can decide what things you really want and keep them out if that is the terms of the bequest, or put them in and have your branch pick them for you if that is better all around.

    Good luck and keep us posted - whether the goal is to maximize its value for eventual sale, or to make it work well for you guys - a young family, our advice can steer you in the right direction. If you click on this picture, there are more photos of this mcm home with some features that resemble yours. These beams are washed, the paneling is heavily washed and the ceilings look to be primed and painted. They put up glass railings at the top of their stair in the entry . . (i would rather have a plywood hatch so i didn't have to clean fingerprints and noseprints!!)

    Berkeley Hills House · More Info


    Berkeley Hills House · More Info


  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for the additional tips and encouragement Libradesigneye!