Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccahunt

Our new kitchen: Before and After

rebeccahunt
8 years ago

Kitchen Remodel: Before and After · More Info

This kitchen was in desperate need of a remodel: honey oak cabinets, natural bamboo floors that had yellowed with age, almond appliances. The cabinets were in great condition, but I really wanted white cabinets/trim. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise; painting cabinets (and doors/trim) is a big, time-consuming project. But it's so worthwhile. We sanded, primed and painted (using both a sprayer and hand painting). We used SW Dover White ProClassic® Interior Acrylic Latex Enamel in semi-gloss. The pink(!) Corian counter was replaced using Cambria Windermere (we really like the added counter space curve.) We replaced the 18"inch cabinet above the microwave with a 12" cabinet to provide more room above the stove (the crown was only attached with finishing nails so we were able to remove/replace the cabinets without impacting the moulding.) We added glass to two cabinets doors to display glassware. The backsplash is 3x6 Daltile in gloss Urban Putty. The grout is by Tec in Pearl. (if you look closely these pics were taken before we had calked the space between counter and tile; we eventually found calk to match the grout.) We added a gas line for the new stove; the appliances are by KitchenAid. We replaced the floor with carbonized strand bamboo. We painted the kitchen chairs black. I've still got more decorating to do. But we have a real sense of accomplishment with this remodel. This project took us about 3 months to complete. We also are remodeling the attached family room but that project isn't done yet!

Comments (110)

• Alia Abdelhamid
    8 years ago
    These are my cabinets. Looks similar to yours.
    rebeccahunt thanked Alia Abdelhamid
  • rebeccahunt
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, ALIA, your cabinets look very similar. We sprayed/painted the cabinets prior to getting new floors/appliances. I did a lot of taping to protect the insides using newspaper and poster board (see photos below). We also had to use lots of plastic to tape off the dining room and family room. It was work, but very worthwhile. Your cabinets will look great painted; good luck!

• PRO
    Morrone Interiors
    8 years ago

Wonderful Job, love the counters!

rebeccahunt thanked Morrone Interiors
  • Carol Roman
    8 years ago
    Wow this is very good timing. Are oak cabinets are in great shape but so outdated. We are considering painting and rep,acing counters and doing a new back splash oR replacing. We do have an issue in photo two as that desk area needs to be replaced. I flip flop back and forth. What did you do about your hinges. We're you able to go with softy close?
    rebeccahunt thanked Carol Roman
  • rebeccahunt
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi cir315; your kitchen looks a lot like ours, only more spacious! Our cabinets have hinges that are concealed and only visible on the inside; and like yours do not have soft close. We bought these adapters (see photo) that can be attached to the cabinet to prevent the banging when closing the cupboards. But even though it's been 9 months since we completed the painting we haven't gotten around to attaching these yet! (I guess the noise doesn't bother me that much.) If your hinges are visible, you could spray paint them to match your new hardware. I've spray painted bathroom hinges with great success. Good luck on your project!

• Sue B Hooven
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Once you put those hinges on, it will be a huge change. You may not think so, it's not only about the noise, but a sense that your cabinet doors will not get loose from all the banging, yelling at the kids for not taking care, less chipping issues over time. Get those things installed! I just redid my bathroom and I have a very expensive cabinet in there but it's older like 5 years or so so it did not have the European hinges on the two doors and 5 soft drawer closes. I'm looking for that right now! Also considering having mirrors made for the medicine cabinet. I don't like the magnetic clicking thing on mine. PS I have all the soft close in the kitchen and on the rolling shelves etc. Best investment EVER

rebeccahunt thanked Sue B Hooven
  • PRO
    Morrone Interiors
    8 years ago

Great choice on the stove too :)

rebeccahunt thanked Morrone Interiors
  • rebeccahunt
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Morrone Interiors. All the appliances are KitchenAid. Because the U-shaped cooking space isn't that large, I wanted to have appliances that were as sleek/streamlined as possible. So many appliances today have large handles; we opted for a stove without a second oven to eliminate the second handle, a dishwasher without a handle and a refrigerator with interior water dispenser/ice maker.

• Kathie
    8 years ago

I was wondering if you had any smell in the kitchen from painting the cabinets. We would love to do this but have a child with asthma.

rebeccahunt thanked Kathie
  • rebeccahunt
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Kathyleen we used Sherwin Williams ProClassic® Interior Acrylic Latex Enamel Semi-gloss (in Dover White) and there was almost no odor. Good luck with your project!

• Kathie
    8 years ago

Thank You so much for the information. We used the 0 VOC paint from Sherman Williams for our interior. We painted in the spring with windows open to help air the house out. Our son did fine.

• PRO
    A Good Eye Curated Decor
    8 years ago

Great job we redid ours as well - but paid for a professional to do it as a side job . It was about $3000 but well worth it to us because we felt it was too much labor involved and were not confident the outcome would come out as well. We changed the floors , backsplash and hardware . We also added an island . Basically we have a whole new kitchen for a fraction of what a complete gut would have costed. We bought our home 2 years ago and took on a lot of updates at once so not having to do a complete redo was best for us.

rebeccahunt thanked A Good Eye Curated Decor
  • rebeccahunt
    Original Author
    8 years ago

lisakasp that was a smart choice and it sounds like you got a great deal on the painting as the bid we got was over $5,000 to repaint or about $15-20k for new cabinets. Last year we used a contractor for a big remodel to reconfigure our upstairs (moving walls to make a larger master bath and walk-in closet) so we wanted to be as economical as possible with the kitchen and that's why we did as much of the work as we could.

Your example and mine are proof that you don't need to gut everything and spend a lot of money to get an updated look. You should post photos of your kitchen here on this thread so people can see another example of painted cabinets. Have fun remodeling your house to make it your home!

• PRO
    A Good Eye Curated Decor
    8 years ago

Thank you rebeccahunt! I will post before and after pictures. But also wanted to share that I purchased most of the items online which was a huge savings!! That includes the honed travertine floor tiles, the crema marfil backsplash , the travertine medallion above the stove and the Blanco Meridian faucet and cabinet knobs- all for a fraction of what they retail for.

• PRO
  • PRO
    A Good Eye Curated Decor
    8 years ago

Sorry I'm having a problem downloading the pictures ..

• PRO
    A Good Eye Curated Decor
    8 years ago

My cabinets were painted a mix of Benjamin Moore White Dove and Navajo white - I wanted a light cream finish.

• PRO
    A Good Eye Curated Decor
    8 years ago

Here is another after picture

• rebeccahunt
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OMG lisakasp, your kitchen is beautiful. Honestly why would anyone think of replacing those cabinets instead of painting them? Saves so much money. And they look great. Isn't it amazing how paint can transform the cabinets? I too saved hundreds of $$ by ordering our backsplash tile and the kitchen faucet online. I also really like that you did your island in a darker finish; it goes great with your counters. Your updates really transformed your kitchen! Thanks for sharing.

• PRO
    A Good Eye Curated Decor
    8 years ago

Thank you Rebecca - I guess a lot of us Houzzers are smart consumers! Enjoy your home!!

• debiemahoney
    8 years ago

Absolutely love what you did to your kitchen Rebecca.

rebeccahunt thanked debiemahoney
  • rebeccahunt
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thanks so much debiemahoney!

• Heidi Waengler-Miles
    8 years ago
    Beautiful renovation. Love the white!
    rebeccahunt thanked Heidi Waengler-Miles
  • rebeccahunt
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks so much Heidi Waengler-Miles! Even after almost a year I still smile when I walk into the kitchen in the morning.

• sandgipsy
    8 years ago
    Beautiful job!!!!
  • Bev
    8 years ago

Beautiful renovation!

rebeccahunt thanked Bev
  • rebeccahunt
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thank you sewsmore!

• jndmackey
    7 years ago
    We are about to tackle our kitchen cabinets and also got the Wagner Flexio 890 sprayer. Would you mind telling me...did you use the fine finish nozzle or the ispray nozzle to spray the paint and primer? Curious if the bigger nozzle left a good finish.
    rebeccahunt thanked jndmackey
  • rebeccahunt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi jndmackey. We used the fine finish nozzle for the cabinets (both primer and paint). The larger nozzle seemed to 'spit' the paint more. My husband and I also rehab vintage furniture and the fine finish nozzle is awesome for milk paint, latex, acrylic enamel paints as well as acrylic poly top coat. One recommendation is to use cardboard to practice on before spraying the cabinets. That way you can fine-tune the ratio of how much wind speed to paint flow, as well as to test which spray direction works best (horizontal or vertical). Good luck with your kitchen! post pictures if you want, I'd love to see the before/after! (let me know if you have any other questions.)

• PRO
    Pacific Coast Custom Design
    7 years ago

Lovely job.

• jndmackey
    7 years ago
    Thanks Rebecca. I started last night w the primer using the fine finish nozzle. So far so good. Do you recall the air power and material flow settings you used? I have the material setting to low and the air power all the way up. Thanks for the quick response!
  • rebeccahunt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

jndmackey that's exactly what we used; low material flow, high air power. It is fun to spray the paint vs all hand application! FYI we sprayed all the cabinet doors front/back with primer and paint, and sprayed the primer on all the cabinet boxes. But I hand-painted the boxes and the trim with our finish paint. BTW, our paint is holding up extremely well. There are a few nicks by the handles on a couple cupboards we use so much, I have small jar of touch up paint that I have used a couple times. Kitchen still looks good as new!

• jndmackey
    7 years ago
    One last question I promise :)
    How much did you thin the SW proclassic? I thinned the primer 10% but the paint looks even thicker in the can. Thinking I may thin it more.
  • PRO
    Stecki Construction
    7 years ago

Love this kitchen! Color choices look beautiful. The curved countertop is amazing!

rebeccahunt thanked Stecki Construction
  • rebeccahunt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

jndmackey: yes, we used Floetrol to thin the SW Proclassic. One more tip: we run the paint through a mesh strainer (like one you'd use in the kitchen) as it's poured into the container. Even after careful stirring, we have found small lumps that can clog up the sprayer.

• rebeccahunt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you Stecki Construction! the curved countertop is also more functional than our old one!

• PRO
    Five Star Painting of Austin
    7 years ago

What a beautiful upgrade! Good job.

rebeccahunt thanked Five Star Painting of Austin
  • rebeccahunt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thanks Five Star Painting of Austin!

• PRO
    Stecki Construction
    7 years ago

Wow! Beautiful transformation! Love the countertops!

rebeccahunt thanked Stecki Construction
  • rebeccahunt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thanks Stecki Construction! I'm so happy we added more counter space by curving the countertop like we did.

• Marissa S.
    6 years ago

Thanks Rebeccahunt!! I am wondering if you can tell me what primer you used and if you had to thin it?

rebeccahunt thanked Marissa S.
  • rebeccahunt
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Marissa S. We used Zinsser primer (water-based 1,2,3). We used a paint sprayer and did hand painting for this project. When we sprayed it we did thin out the paint with Floetrol (per the product recommendations). Good luck with your project!

• PRO
    Pro Prabhu Home Remodeling Inc
    6 years ago

Beautiful

rebeccahunt thanked Pro Prabhu Home Remodeling Inc
  • PRO
    ERT Architects, Inc
    6 years ago

stunning transformation!

rebeccahunt thanked ERT Architects, Inc
  • PRO
    May Construction, Inc.
    6 years ago

Beautiful remodel!

rebeccahunt thanked May Construction, Inc.
  • PRO
    Mega Builders
    6 years ago

Very nice!

rebeccahunt thanked Mega Builders
  • Scarlett R
    6 years ago

Absolutely stunning! It's hard to believe it's the same kitchen. I love all the natural lighting and those countertops are perfect. Very nicely done.

rebeccahunt thanked Scarlett R
  • rebeccahunt
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Scarlet Renaud! It's been a few years now since we finished the remodel and I still love it just as much.

• Scarlett R
    6 years ago
    That’s always a great feeling b/c when it comes to a project like that, you’re constantly having to make so many different decisions, it can be nerve wrecking, but it definitely paid off and I’m sure you were thrilled when it was all said & done...lol!!
    rebeccahunt thanked Scarlett R
  • PRO
    Architecture Plus Inc
    6 years ago

This looks great!

rebeccahunt thanked Architecture Plus Inc