Software
Houzz Logo Print
bcarmean

Home interior in need of some design advice.

11 years ago

My wife and I purchased our home in the country about 8 years ago and lets just say it wasn't the "house" of our dreams at the time. We loved the property, so over the last 8 years we have slowly remodeled every room in the house. Last year we took a big leap and added on a 650 sq ft addition with basement. Lets just say I'm not a fan of clutter and our house reflects that. That being said I do feel like our house is a little sterile (Even for my taste), I would love some suggestions on tying it all together. Keep in mind I'd rather stick to suggestions that don't involve replacing existing items, most everything is very new. Thank you in advance, love this site.


Comments (42)

  • 11 years ago

    Love the crown molding idea, wasn't sure about that with the vaulted ceilings. As far as moving the TV area to the other side , I would love to do that but I have a large set of windows there overlooking the property and pond.



  • 11 years ago

    How do you feel about changing out the lighting over the table? You could try something with a bit more spunk. I suggest adding some complimentary throw pillows to the sectional. The ottoman and the pillows don't really pop with the sofa and wall color. The positioning of the ottoman is kind of awkward. If it were me, I'd get rid of it all together. And the piece you're using as an end table needs to be moved else where, it makes the area look choppy. Go for something shorter A sofa table behind the sectional would draw the eyes away from the television in the corner. As for the coffee table, add some pretty books and a votive.

    Here are some colors schemes you could try to incorporate.

    ^This one would probably go best with your flooring and colors you already have in the room.






  • 11 years ago

    I think part of the problem is that your rugs are too small. If there is a view on the opposite side of TV those white chairs should be swivel so they can be turned to appreciate the view. Then as suggested above get some color into the room with art and accessories

    bcarmean thanked jck910
  • 11 years ago

    I really like the idea of bringing more color into the room. I also agree that the end table next to the couch needs to go. Here is another angle that I think shows the rooms layout a little better. The room seems smaller than it is because the sofa is huge and deep. We LOVE football and have all our friends over every Sunday, so the big ugly sofa has to stay :-). I am open to removing the ottoman, but it does serve a purpose for seating vs. leaving an open awkward area.


  • 11 years ago
    I agree about the rugs. I would lose the rug under the table and find a large rug for the sectional. It could have darker tones and maybe a bit of pattern. I agree on the artwork as well
    bcarmean thanked hebblethwaite
  • 11 years ago

    You have added a very lovely large and practical new space to your house. I just think with a few minor changes it will give you the warm & comfortable feeling you were envisioning. Your walls are very close in color to the sectional. Adding the sofa table to the back of it will bring more life to it as an earlier poster suggested. I'm not sure which side to add it to, but move it to each side to see what makes the effect that you need.

    The addition of a much larger area rug which will fit under the front feet of each side of the sectional is definitely going to help. Change out the larger pillows on the sofa to darker to add the three colors spread about your room that you need. I would also add panels of one of the new colors you decide to add to the room in the form of grommet top ceiling to the floor draperies. You may not need to add those to all windows & they could just be added to the outside of the very large windows to soften the severe straight line cool look going on in the space.

  • 11 years ago

    Moving the TV and accompanying furniture to the opposite side, overlooking pond and property, would definitely work. Give it a try. You can overlook both, the games and the property. The dark (gray) sectional right now ends in the middle of the double doors, creating a imbalance in the room. For the art work, keeping the sense of minimalism you have right now, I would suggest oversize copies of Monet's Lily Pond or similar images. Consider embossed paper for the crown molding look, It is very easy to install and cheaper. You can also choose to confine the crown molding effect only to the walls that are horizontal on the top.



  • 11 years ago

    I also am not fond of the yellow ottoman, but I appreciate your need to have it in the room for additional guests. Since you do need it, add some more of that color in a rich and darker hue in the form of the smaller pillows to the sofa. Also add some deep blue or eggplant color into the room. In the dining area just add a table runner under the items currently there to soften the look. As far as the sofa table, you could just about use one to the back of each section of the sofa. It will provide you with more area for the quests to put their drinks. Add a table lamp to each table at the outside edges. Add some books, a bronze statue, a bowl of fruit. You also need more art on your walls. Go big & natural such as a group of horses or trees or mountain scenery that goes with the views from your windows.

  • 11 years ago

    I love the second sitting area you have created in the corner opposite the sectional and even though I could not see it fully it seems to be set up just perfectly. Perhaps the dark gray high end table would fit between the chairs better than where you now have it with a lamp on it.

  • 11 years ago

    I think your desire for non clutter has taken you into the opposite side of the spectrum. You just need to add some softness & some darker colors, books, plants & you have at least three more wall areas that could use some beautiful art.

    bcarmean thanked sandradclark
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you so much Sandra and Felix. I am amazed how easy it is for you all to identify needs that really seem to make since. Here is a pic with the rug adjusted and end table moved.. Thoughts? By the way this an 7X10 rug.


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    End table moved as described. Its probably a little narrow and tall, but much better than where it was. Do you agree

  • 11 years ago

    I agree with everyone on the need for wall-art/pictures/paintings. I'm having a hard time determine where to place them with all the windows.

  • 11 years ago

    Do not place small pictures in small walls. You have a large wall by the dining room and another by the stairs to the basement. Think large and large framing as well. That way fewer items create the most impact.

  • 11 years ago
    Thoughts on furniture for wall near stairs behind sectional. Significant unused space as of now. It's about 9' from back of sofa to wall. Of course a sofa table would cut into the space. Thought maybe a small bar height table or dry bar..
  • 11 years ago

    What a great space! Hard to tell what the color is though. Is it green? or gray? I'd try to find a taupey gray to paint the wall that would go with the sofa better. I would also hang some drapes at the large windows to soften the room. Hang them just below the ceiling outside the blinds. Ikea has some nice quality linen ones that would be great. You can keep them open most of the time. I would also put some chair pads on the kitchen chairs. Is there room for a small game table and some chairs behind the sofa? Looks like a fun place to hang out!

    bcarmean thanked ashtonchic
  • 11 years ago

    bcarmean - how about a piece or two of Pop Art. It would bring some fun and surprise to the space and you would only need one or two to make a statement. These are from Art.com by Andy Warhol

    Cowboys and Indians: John Wayne 201/250, 1986 Art Print by Andy Warhol at Art.co · More Info


    Brooklyn Bridge, c.1983 (Orange, Blue, Lime) Giclee Print by Andy Warhol at Art. · More Info


    Campbell's Soup Can, 1965 (Green and Red) Art Print by Andy Warhol at Art.com · More Info


  • 11 years ago

    Art is very personal. Go on line and look for something that you like. Size matters, and several people have given you good suggestions about that.

    Before you buy pictures however, you need more than the plain beige rug. Lots of rugs out there, find one with some pattern & colors you like, then use the rug colors to choose new pillows for the sofa.

    bcarmean thanked alsagal
  • 11 years ago

    I agree with all who mentioned new area rugs. I would get colorful area rugs, large enough for the large sectional to sit on and the other one under the dinning table. The furniture looks like it is floating in all that space. Large area rugs would anchor everything down and make the room look finished. You can have carpet cut to size and bound by any carpet store to custom make a size. I would go with a print but I like color and pattern. Pick something with a texture to add another element in your room.

    bcarmean thanked Jean Benelli
  • 11 years ago

    The color is sort of a cool mint green on the darker side. I really like the color in person and feel it goes well with the sofa, more than the pics reflect. Problem with the color is its tough to find a complementarity color to go with it. As far as area rug, I'm not in love with any of the 3 (under table under chairs and under sofa). Can't seem to find any rugs with more character that don't seem to busy or modern. Keep in mind we are a fairly country family with country/classic taste. I find myself drawn to landscape art (Trees, water, fences, barns, etc) but cant seem to find the rights one to compliment the room.

  • 11 years ago

    Jean, great point about the furniture "floating" I definitely feel the sectioning in the room.

  • 11 years ago

    Rugs can be modern, antique, lots of colors or not. I just bought a cowhide for $175. Seen lots of them around that price. So, if you like country or modern, consider a cowhide. They go with both styles.

  • 11 years ago
    Replace cream rug with a bolder color with a pattern. Adding panels t e da of wi Dow would warm it up. Add a reg to dining area 8x10 should work and then add end chairs in a fabric. That will add warmth. Go a pattern, using wall color as background. Your hone us lively. Good job.
    bcarmean thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 11 years ago
    Remove small art from wall. On wall by stairs . A big tall oil painting would add interest to side of room. A unique sofa table behind sectional.,there is one at Z Galleries. It's glass and silver base,the base looks like silver driftwood. Very nice. Ck it out on line. Add tall items like a tall vase fill with sticks . Add plants to bare corners in ceramic pots.
  • 11 years ago
    That table between chairs is to small add a bigger round one in dark wood.
  • 11 years ago
    A black and white cow hide. IKEA sells would work in front of chairs. All the cream rugs are not working think pattern and color
  • 11 years ago

    Pull the easy chairs a little closer around the new placement of the end table. It will look great. Go to Art.com & Great Big Canvas for art selections. No one but you can choose your art.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I think you need some guidelines for tables and lamps. End and side tables working beside seating should come to within 1" of the arm's height. When you top the table with a lamp, the two of them together should measure about 58-64" from the floor. Lamp style should mirror the visual weight of the table. Chunky lamps for chunky tables; skinny lamps for skinny tables. Put that tall chest (I don't think it is really a table) right of the door, or take it to the white wall to the far right of the dining table. It won't need a lamp.

  • 11 years ago

    Wow, I love this site. To think people would take the time to advise a stranger on how to better there home for free is amazing. Thanks again for all the great suggestions, I will be acting on many of them

  • 11 years ago

    Nice! I think a live plant or two would enhance the space?

  • PRO
  • 11 years ago

    Thoughts on this area rug under the sofa. I know its pretty plain but I guess that's my taste.

  • 11 years ago

    Thoughts on this server in the kitchen pushed up against the support beam?

  • 11 years ago

    If you do anything with the support beam use it to anchor an island/bar.


    Greenlake Addition · More Info


    bcarmean thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 11 years ago

    That's a great suggestion and something I have considered. The picture you attached is very close in size to what I would need. Thank you

  • 11 years ago

    You're welcome!


  • 11 years ago
    Add drapes!! I always think a room looks incomplete without them.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Large bold rugs would add some depth to the room and anchor each area. Use art and accent pillows to pull it all together. Good luck.

    bcarmean thanked doctornancy
  • 11 years ago
    Wow that looks great. Even love the picture :-)
  • 11 years ago
    Made some slight changes as some recommended. Larger area rug with pattern under sofa and some colorful throw pillows. I feel the need to add some accent pieces throughout the room to give it a less sterile look. Any suggestions? I'm planning on putting a console table under the large photo on the back wall.
  • 11 years ago
    Purchased this table for under the picture. Would love suggestions on accent/decor additions to the room.