Software
Houzz Logo Print
woohooman

Lacewing question

Last year, I made some seed collecting bags out of tulle.


Much to my joyful surprise, I noticed all throughout the season that the bags had tons of lacewing eggs attached to them.


I guess the adults found that the tulle was a great place for attaching their eggs.


Question(s): Is it really the ideal place or are the adults just confused? I've seen them attached to leaves thinking that the leaves were somehow nourishing the eggs until they pupate. Do the eggs need living tissue to survive? Or can I feel safe about just placing the tulle bags around the yard for the adults to deposit their eggs?


I'd hate to think that the adults are laying their eggs only to have them starve to death before hatching.


I guess if I think about them as other forms of life in which eggs are laid for offspring(like chickens), there should be enough energy in the ovum to sustain it until hatching. Does the same hold true for insects also?


Thanks.


Kevin


Comments (4)