Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yqsutherland

Kitchen Question

yqsutherland
9 years ago

In the real world, not the design world, do you, or can you, leave out your paper towels and napkins and salt and pepper on the kitchen counters for easy use? Just how bad is it to do so?

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago

If this works for you do it. I have my paper towels on a neat hangar inside my sink cabinet and I only use fabric napkins so pull them when using and S&P are in a drawer but I hate anything on my counters so that is what I do . I think you need to do what works for your family and not what looks "right".

• User
    9 years ago

Function is the most important thing in a kitchen, and if it's an eat in kitchen it makes sense to have it ready to go.

I keep paper towels on the counter. Cooking salt, pepper grinders and oil/vinegar containers are on a tray in the prep area. Napkins and table salt/pepper are in a drawer with the flatware. I also don't like clutter, but having certain items out is a big time saver. Attractive containers are a must.

• PRO
    Kim Nielsen Interiors
    9 years ago

Not bad at all. We are not staging. Try keeping items in pretty decorative bowls or a pretty round basket or tray.

• Judy Mishkin
    9 years ago

my paper towels are on the counter, but dish soap isnt. cloth napkins are in the china closet in the dining room for when i set the table for dinner. what is on my counter: colored cutting boards, with the knife block as bookend. paper towels. juicer. coffee maker, coffee grinder, and a narrow laquer tray which contains pepper grinder, salt pig, olive oil dispenser, and garlic jar. and a spice carousel behind it.

that does seem like a lot of things, but its as minimalist as i'm going to get. if i were having a party i'd put away the juicer, coffee maker, and coffee grinder.

• intown123
    9 years ago
    Yes to paper towels and napkins. I just use relatively nice wood holders for them.
  • PRO
    Design Your Kitchen and Bath
    9 years ago

Paper towels on counter next to sink. Salt and pepper, paper napkins on table in eat in kitchen. I like the salt and pepper nearby but not on counters to utilize for cooking. And yes, I am the sole cook of the household besides being a designer:-)

• mamadubbs
    9 years ago

My paper towels are kept on the inside of a door under my sink (out of sight). I have decorative salt/pepper shakers that stay on the counter by the stove. Currently my napkins are kept in a cabinet, but I'm always pulling them out so I'm in search of a decorative basket or something to keep them in. Our kitchen is open concept to our living room, so I try to keep the counters looking good, but function should always be a priority!

• yqsutherland
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the comments. I have a small kitchen with very limited counter space, but limited cabinet space also. I have a husband and 3 children and to me it just makes sense for now. I see all these beautiful staged kitchens, but in reality I guess they are just "staged".

• sena01
    9 years ago

Nothing wrong with keeping whatever you need frequently on the counters, but with limited counters using the wall under the upper cabs for storage may be another idea.

Beverly Place - Kitchen · More Info

• Judy Mishkin
    9 years ago

i looked at my kitchen again to decide what can go away and decided my parameters are this: if i use it every day and i have to plug it in, it stays out. if i use it every day and i'm in a hurry when i need it, it stays out. otherwise its in a cabinet.

• MotherOfGiants
    9 years ago
    With two young kids, I can't imagine the disaster that would be the kitchen if paper towels weren't in quick reach!
  • makaloco
    9 years ago

My paper towels are on the counter in the top compartment of a breadbox that I don't use for bread. The roll fits perfectly, and the end sticks out so I can grab a towel easily when I need one. Salt and pepper are in the bottom compartment along with Mrs Dash, baking powder, etc. I try to keep counters tidy, but I wouldn't put the coffeemaker away even for visiting royalty!

• jhmarie
    9 years ago

I hope it isn't bad or I'm in trouble. All are visible - one thing the picture doesn't show is the can for the grease:)

• PRO
    Paxis Place Pottery
    8 years ago

You may like our solution for paper towels on the kitchen counter. Visit us here on Houzz or at www.paxisplace.com