Software
Houzz Logo Print
cr0011r

Home redesign help!! Something missing

11 years ago
I am moving to a new house and want some ideas on the different room decorations I've put together. Several things still missing!!! Thanks!!!

Comments (36)

  • 11 years ago

    Dining room looks nice, but living room is way too spread out -- furniture is beyond chatting distance. I don't know what's behind the main couch, but it feels like you want to push it and the matching loveseat at least 4 feet toward the fireplace and then find an area rug to tie things together in that area. You may want to move the tan armchair then into the space behind this ensemble, maybe into the corner by the window in the back left there (not fully shown), with its own little side table and lamp for a quiet read.

    I can't help that your chandelier and painting are centered in the room. Trying to work like that is getting things out of a comfortable human scale. A second solution would be to put couches and rug in the middle there, "around" the painting and light, and then have a couple of comfy arm chairs way down by the fireplace, making *that* a separate zone. Any way you look at it, you're likely to find this room mosty homey if it's more than one functional unit/area.


    cr0011r thanked acm
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you! We have a big family so i want for this space to fit a lot of people and keep it all under one same zone and not separate the space if possible. Behind the longer tan couch there is a foyer area
  • 11 years ago
    I need help also with what type of
    Decor to put on and around the fireplace to make it cozier yet still majestic looking.

    Same goes for the dining. Not sure if that bowl is the best between the lamps and what should I have as a centerpiece for dining table? Thanks again.
  • 11 years ago
    with what do you want help? do you have specific items that you want to add? window treatments? rugs? coffee table? art?

    you have too much beige in the rooms.



    the painting in the living room is beautiful, but it lacks any contrast with the wall color. thus, it is lost in a sea of beige just as your fireplace is lost.
    cr0011r thanked Kelley Dockrey
  • 11 years ago

    Put a large mirror over the sideboard in dining room. A large floral arrangement will look nice on the table or a smaller one on the side board and then put colored glass decanters and candleholders on the table along with the bowl now on the side board.. Pull the living room sofa, loveseat and side chair onto a large rug to make a better grouping. Pick one with some navy and a 3rd accent color to tie in the chairs by the fireplace. Get a coffee table. Square or round would work. I would put a picture over the fireplace with some add'l accent colors with your 3rd color. Also use pillows on sofa and love seat to coordinate with colors. Use patterns and plain for the pillows. Lamps. Your side tables are small. Look at floor lamps for lighting by the sofa and loveseat. Maybe wall sconces on each side of the fireplace walls above the wingbacks. You have a beautiful space. Adding some accessories will make a huge difference.

    cr0011r thanked susan2494
  • 11 years ago
    All - Thank you so much for all your advice and for taking the time to help me!!!! Your advice was exactly what I was looking for !! Torinmia thank you for sending ideas via pics - those are wonderful and just what I needed!!! how did you do that? ;)
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Purchase some graphic rugs that have the same coloring as your furniture. Adding a little pattern and color to the space will really make it pop. You want the rug to be large enough that the front legs of all your furniture can rest on it. Also think about furniture arrangement - make sure two like couches are not right next to each other - break them up. Maybe have them facing each other with 2 chairs in between. You need some visual interest with differing furniture heights to break up the space. :)

    cr0011r thanked Minhnuyet Hardy Interiors
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you Minhuyet!!!! Great feedback!!! appreciate it very much :)
  • 11 years ago
    We added a carpet and changed layout but think it made the room look smaller. Thoughts?
  • 11 years ago
    I like the carpet. Adds a warm touch. I have similar fire place. I added a painting. I got the idea from pintrest. Where is the table from next to the wall?
    cr0011r thanked dg10111
  • 11 years ago

    You might want to move the chair closer to the rd end table near the sofa. This will open up the room a bit. Even more so if you put a mirror above the fireplace. I think a canvas print above the fireplace with some bursts of your colors. I cannot see what colors are in the rug, but add another pop of color with coral, orange ,yellow or even red with a combination of navy, and silver with pillows. (your favorite color here) Even a purple or lavender. What's colors are in the rug. It looks like navy grays? Add the decorative pillows to the sofa and perhaps a booster or smaller back pillow on the wingbacks to connect to the sofas. No matter what you put above the fireplace you can tie with décor on the mantle. Floor lamps behind the wingbacks for accent lighting or again wall sconces.

    cr0011r thanked susan2494
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    The original layout was much more efficient when it comes to clearances. I would keep the blue chairs caddy cornered by the fireplace. The long sofa against the long wall, the loveseat in the opening, and the armchair where it originally was. One that's done a coffee table is necessary.


    This mirror may work somewhere. depends on the size of the walls. http://www.bassettfurniture.com/Beveled-Mirror-In-Wood-Frame-DZ30251.asp


    or this one maybe over the fireplace(might be too small)

    http://www.bassettfurniture.com/Oval-Antiqued-Decorative-Wall-Mirror-With-Frame-DZ4067.asp

    http://www.bassettfurniture.com/Amberlyn-Mirror-DZ33735.asp


    Coffee table ideas

    http://www.bassettfurniture.com/Travertine-Round-Twig-Cocktail-Table-DZ33027.asp

    http://www.bassettfurniture.com/Sophisticated-Metropolitan-Rectangular-Glass-Cocktail-Table-DZ24728.asp


    Dining room needs a rug and a mirror.

    Contact me!

    jdcaldarola@bassettfurniture.com

    :)

    cr0011r thanked Joanna Caldarola
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you Joanna! I will definately contact you! My dining table is from bassett :)
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Great! I currently am a designer at Bassett in Hartsdale, NY! I went to school for Interior Design! This is a wonderful space and I am more then happy to help!!

    cr0011r thanked Joanna Caldarola
  • 11 years ago

    area rugs, curtain panels, toss pillows, lots of large scaled wall art and a few not-too-small accessories will work wonders in here. all you really need is some finishing touches!


    cr0011r thanked potchiemagoodleberry
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    is that the benchmade table?! I cant tell from the picture!

    cr0011r thanked Joanna Caldarola
  • 11 years ago
    Great Joanna!! Thanks!! Its this one.
  • 11 years ago

    This one is nice.

    cr0011r thanked susan2494
  • 11 years ago
    You room needs personality, you need to put accessories and your personal finds around the rooms, just make sure you have a common theme going . You have all the basic in place just nice finishings that Akers a nice room fabulous. For help check out rooms by designers that appeal the most to you.
    cr0011r thanked jemila AWA
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks to both of you!!! Nice table! Where is that from?! ;) ;)
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Drapery is a great way to add softness to the room. Also rugs will help you bring the furniture closer together for conversations. The way you have arranged it with the sofas across from each other works best. Not sure about the lonely chair at the entrance. It is less inviting to enter a space to the back of a chair of sofa, so moving it to the side of the loveseat would be best. Overall your family room is looking great!

  • 11 years ago

    Overstock.com $298. Item #16986114 I have ordered quite a few things there in re-decorating my new condo and have been very pleased with price and products. They have another similar one that's a little bigger ,but price is over $700. Item # 16904346. I am one that decorates every 25 years so I believe in spending to get what you love and you can live with it for a long time. At 70 yrs, I have done my last do-over. :>)

  • 11 years ago
    L&M thanks for the vote of confidence and advice on opening up the entrance to make it more inviting!!! ;) susan thanks for taking the time to send me the info on the table! So nice ;) Wow good luck on this final round of decorating! Make it count!! Xoxo
  • 11 years ago

    A couple of pillows that might work for you Pier 1 Item # 2758620, 2871498, 2916362 (lumbar pillows for wingbacks. Mix the sofa and love seat with another favorite color in solid or even stripe or geometric and will transform your room. BTY, I like the vase you put on side board to replace bowl.

  • 11 years ago

    You are quite welcome cr. I have finished my decorating and is fun to look at others projects. I am not a professional, but I do have a pretty good eye for layout and colors. Keep in mind that you live there and see it everyday, so bottom line it has to be what you love, but sometimes we just are not sure what we like until it's in the room. Wayfair, Overstock.com have great return policies and most stores will honor returns also. Live with it or a few days and you'll know if it's a keeper.

  • 11 years ago
    How can I make store bought drapery look custom? Dont have budget for custom right now :(
  • 11 years ago
    Adding ribbon trim is not too expensive or difficult, but can give dramatic, custom look

    http://houzz.com/photos/1165288
  • 11 years ago
    Is this better L&M? :)
  • 11 years ago
    Sootsprite thanks! don't know what you mean by the ribbon though...
  • 11 years ago
    So sorry - hard to see on that picture. Here is another one that has trim on the edge

    http://houzz.com/photos/125183
  • 11 years ago
    And here is another example

    http://houzz.com/photos/2504401
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Go to Ikea.com. their drapes are great prices, high quality & they charge by the pair instead of by the panel as most stores do. Buy grommet top & hang them close to the ceiling & down to the floor. Since the living & dining are so close I would choose the same style & color for both rooms. Also you need some small "C" tables around so they will not take up as much space.

    Also can have a grouping of storage cubes to be used for additional seating when needed. Pillows are a must for the upholstered pieces. Lumbar sizes for chairs & 18" ones in several colors & prints for the sofas. Go to Art.com for a large piece of art for over the fireplace and over the breakfront behind the dining area. Add plants & books here & there to bring your rooms to life. No one but you can choose your art. It is too personal. If you can't pick art, get a canvas piece of abstract art with colors that you enjoy looking at. Lovely spaces to enjoy with your family.

  • 11 years ago

    I wish I was able to post photos as others do, but I don't know how. Sorry.

  • 11 years ago

    Pier 1

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    You didn't ask me about your latest photo after moving chair, but it appears that you have blocked off the entrance to dining room. I would not put the chair next to the others navy ones. Try on the other side of loveseat or angle it on the end of the sofa. It is not a large piece and the back showing is not an issue. But I am not a pro. Even the back has some interesting lines and the wood frame breaks up all the fabric pieces. It will give the room some interest, your latest pic looks like you just lined up all your furniture along the walls.