Software
Houzz Logo Print
jperdue04

Paint color for kitchen before selling

11 years ago
Prepping my home for sale and only bought it 1 year ago so looking for paint to freshen it up. Cabinets are yellowish as are the tones of the wood floors and of course the existing paint. the kitchen is open to the family room (Sherwin Williams Accessible Beige) and hallway (custom match dark gray). Originally was considering carrying the Accessible Beige through. Counter tops are blueish when the lights are on but might actually be a gray, Corian material. If you would leave the yellow, please let me know too!

Comments (19)

  • 11 years ago
    I would leave it. It looks like it is in good shape.
  • 11 years ago
    Maybe add black hardware instead?
  • 11 years ago
    yes, I have the small table and stools posted for sale
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Don't forget a stager can help add those special "homey" touches that buyers can relate to, but you are not attached to. Put away the large gadgets, add greenery on the island and litely above the cabinets, a tall plant by the sliders, take everything off the refrigerator, and the hanging towels off the oven etc and put that rug under the little table and 2 chairs, not at the door...you can catty corner that table too for interest. If those are yellow flowers(hint, hint) add lemons and limes in glass containers too..... whats a few lemons/limes cost? Turn all the lights on, the shades open for any showings. Oh and to answer your original question your color is fine and neutralish for a new home buyer to imagine something else! Good Luck! katywernerpaints.com

  • 11 years ago
    You have a white door, white pendants and furniture which balance white. Be aware of bold white door.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Perfect observation, hoping the flower arrangement on top of the island would detract the eye from that white door:)

  • 11 years ago
    paint the pantry door the same gray that is on the column in the foreground to tie that color into the kitchen.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    No need to repaint the walls but you may consider painting the door a more creamy color several shades lighter than the walls. Good advice re staging, removing clutter and the white table etc.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I am a stager. Please let me know how I can help you get your house sold. You may send me photos throughout your house and I can make a list of the improvements you could make with the appearance. I have a 100% success rate and plenty of reviews for you to see on my website. Staging is crucial. As a professional, I know what it takes. You may email me at kimnielseninteriors@gmail.com

    www.KimNielsenInteriors.com

  • 11 years ago
    No staging has happened yet (obviously) but will be included with my realtor. I like the idea of black hardware but only half of the appliances are black, does that make a difference?

    There are a few areas of the yellow that look worn and have marks which is why I was considering painting and going a little darker. I don't think changing the door color will be an option - as a recent buyer, that would have driven me nuts especially since it would need to be an oil based paint to cover the existing white.

    Realtor also suggested granite but we will be taking a significant loss so I did not want to pay that much to upgrade the countertops (divorce, 2 month old soon to be in daycare, etc.)
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I would not put in granite if I were you, or spend too much to prep the house for sale! Just make sure that it is meticulously clean and tidy. And if you were to paint, please hire a professional painter.

    I just closed on a house this week where the previous owner was so proud of his "upgrades", which I hate, and the sloppy job he did will end up costing more to fix. He did a really lousy job with painting the walls (guess he never learned coloring within the lines in kindergarten)! So not only I have to repaint the walls, I also have to paint the ceiling because he got wall paint all over the ceiling. He also did a poor job putting in hardwood floor and I will have to tear everything out and start over. It is far easier to pull out carpet than remove hardwood. It is very frustrating because the previous owner is a realtor and you would expect he knows better ...

    Now, I am a crazy sellers' market so I did not have a lot of leverage when I bought this house. Anything less than $500,000 usually get multiple offers within 8 hours and more than half of these houses sold for more than the asking price. Basically the location is right and I just have to deal with all the remodeling. What I am trying to say is some buyers may actually prefer "builder beige" and paint the walls or whatever with what they like instead of you second guessing what looks good. And Corian is perfectly fine. I hate granite!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    paint it a nice shade of light/country blue.


  • 11 years ago

    Don't paint it light blue. Keep it as neutral as possible. Light blue walls have a limited appeal.

  • 11 years ago
    Don't paint, unless to just touch up-- Magic Eraser may even do the trick. Don't worry about the granite either--just de-clutter and clean!
  • 11 years ago

    I would invest in inexpensive (but appealing) new hardware for the cabinets. You seem to have very nice cabinets & they are taller than most, however I can never understand why anyone does not immediately install hardware. You could check on Craigslist for cheaper. Figure how many you need (knobs & pulls) & go basic. Clean is the best selling feature in someone to want to buy your home.

  • 11 years ago

    Maybe an area rug in place of the table and stools, especially one that has some color, and of course that you can use in your new house.

  • 11 years ago

    Oh, and don't repaint.


  • 11 years ago

    Go with light gray on the walls and stage it.