Software
Houzz Logo Print
lori861

Marble....yes or no?

11 years ago
Help! I want marble counters in my kitchen so badly, but I'm so worried that I'll make a huge mistake. What should I do?

Comments (23)

  • 11 years ago
    are you concerned about selecting the wrong marble for your kitchen or you concerned that marble is not appropriate for your kitchen?
  • 11 years ago
    Marble is very delicate. There are materials that look like marble but they are extremely strong but quite expensive.
    Take a look at Neolith
  • 11 years ago
    I'm concerned with etching! Marble is so expensive and I'd hate to see them damaged with the first use. Is there anyway at all to protect from etching?
  • 11 years ago
    I've had marble with no problems. My marble was a deep green, so discoloration may have been less of a fear than with white marble. However, just common sense really. Don't use it as a cutting board, if you spill something acidic, clean it up immediately. Wash with mild soap and water and periodically condition it.
  • 11 years ago

    i have LG rococo quartz. marble look (its indistinguishable from my "real" mantels) with no worries of any kind of staining. no grease marks from rolling out cookies like you can get on some kinds of granite, too.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    @lori861... you want to make sure the countertops are properly sealed. After sealing the marble you will need to maintain them with a SAFE cleaner. No harsh chemicals. 409 Stone and Steel cleaner is a good cleaner to use. You will need to seal the countertops periodically also. Stone is always going to have to be maintained, but it is beautiful! ~Michelle, www.ZilliantInnovations.com

  • 11 years ago
    lori861, I would not do marble counters if you are concerned about th marble becoming etched. you might be too prroccupied with maintaining them and nor be able to enjoy them. what marble were you considering?
  • 11 years ago
    In many places in Italy and France, marble has been used for millennia as building material, due to lack of wood. Not enough forests! They used it for walls, ceilings, floors. And never worry about sealing, they use it, understand that the stain made today will add to the patina over time. I understand wanting things to remain shiny and new, and the anxiety of getting that first ding, (I just took a hammer and wailed away on our brand new floor, in an area that will be under a kitchen cabinet, to overcome that "don't use it, it will get hurt! attitude!). So get the marble countertops, accept that they will get patina over time, and enjoy!
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    It would depend on how you use your kitchen. If you only cook occasionally marble would work great, but if you love to cook you will find that the marble will not be as forgiving as you would probably like. There are people who can restore your marble so if you do have an "accident" it can be restored to the original but this service tends to be pricey. If you are looking at marble ask questions from the stone provider.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    everyone knows their own personality. some families can happily call it patina. if you are the sort of person who would instead call it "damaged" and fuss and worry and make their family nervous to walk into the kitchen, i'd make another surface choice.

    marble would make me crazy. i want things to look nice in a certain way, and a wine ring isnt nice. having gotten rid of a kitchen sink (white corian) where a dropped in teabag made for a long bleaching the next day, i really dont want to watch if people at a party are spilling red wine on kitchen counters. quartz was invented with me in mind.

  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for all the opinions. If I choose the marble, I'm getting a honed Calacutta Michelangelo or Calacutta Caldia. I'm in love with the slightly creamy background and soft veining. That being said, I'm a type A personality though, so it's probably the wrong choice for me. I just can't get it out of my head, and I don't like any substitute as much. My second choice is a quartzite called Taj Mahal, but the background of that stone is so much more gray.
  • 11 years ago
    Have you considered using a solid quartz counter and real calacatta marble for your backsplash? Then you will still have the beauty of real marble which I agree can't be matched but without the grief of possible stains,etc. you can even do slabs for backsplash (I think there was just a houzz article on this). My friend is also type a, got marble anyways, and all who enter her kitchen are in fear of messing up the marble as is she. It's definitely for those who don't mind some issues.
  • 11 years ago
    (Btw I did this in my own kitchen and find that with the backsplash sealed it is no big deal. Sometimes I put up a cookie sheet if I am making something really messy. The counter definitely takes much more abuse. I have quartz and I've had to soak out balsamic vinegar, wine and coffee stains - it's easy but if it were marble it could have been permanent).
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Lori861-You might look into Clearstone. It is the only stone coating that is guaranteed to absolutely prevent acid etching. It also prevents staining. It comes with 10 year anti-etch, anti-stain warranty.


  • 9 years ago

    Quartzite is a natural stone that is less susceptible to stains. It's quite expensive. Quartz is man made as is Caesarstine and Silestone. Marble will show up some scratches and stains ever time but it is a gorgeous material with no substitute. (Granite is bullet proof basically but not to my taste and dated). Some marbles are much more easy to maintain. Especially if you follow the pro advice and get it sealed properly. The Calacatta marbles are on the more durable side. Just make sure to use a cutting board and I don't get people spilling red wine and vinegar...not sure why it's such a preoccupation. If you have the typée of kitchen where people gather for socializing try some coasters. Some man made pseudo quartzite (called quartz)and compositions, etc are actually crushed quartzite, onyx or marble and are bonded with an acrylic and you cannot put down hot things without "melting" the countertop. I like natural stone. The Silestone/Caeserstone also has to have the scratches and dings buffed out of it. It strikes me as the Corian of the times

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    " ...if you spill something acidic, clean it up immediately."


    Sorry, too late. Etching on marble is instantaneous. Sure, the longer you leave it the worse it is, but you can't stop chemistry with a dishrag. Antolini has marble that will give you several hours or so.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You are correct, Joseph. Even "penetrating sealers" will not protect against acid etching. The product we use, Clearstone, is the only product which will prevent acid etching and it is guaranteed to prevent acid etching and stains for 10 years. You might want to connect Clearstone US if you have an interest or I can forward your information to them.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Most people don't want a coat of polyester over their marble, despite its etch prevention.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I am not sure of your stats. We have been a Clearstone applicator for 5 years and we have a very long list of very, very happy customers.

  • 9 years ago
    old post
  • 9 years ago

    Hello, I had the same dilemma when I redecorated my
    kitchen. I love marble but was worried about its durability. After a lot of
    going back and forth, we got marble in the end and after living with it for
    nearly 2 years I am very happy with it and do not regret my decision .

    Yes you have to be careful with it. When I cook if
    something spills I wipe it very quickly, but on the plus size it helps
    keep my kitchen clean! We have had spills that I did not see and they left a
    stain but what is the real beauty of marble is that very quickly the stain
    became part of the patina and is not noticeable any more.

    We got a ding in the marble with a cooking pot but it
    was very easily buffed, I brought
    someone to buff it for me, but he was very nice and explained how to do it, so
    if something happens again I will do the work by myself.

    I would advise you to buy what you love. Any extra
    work that it will incur you will not mind because whenever you see it you will
    be happy with your choice

  • 9 years ago
    oldie, from 2015