Software
Houzz Logo Print
tangfj

Advice on appliances for new higher end home build?

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

Hello everyone, my wife and I will be building our first home soon and realized that appliances will be a big part of our budget. We will be building a higher end home and wanted to seek out your guy's advice/recommendations on appliances. We have really only decided on two items for appliances that would be in our must have list but the rest are really up in the air.

The only two appliances that we've decided we really want to have are a Sub Zero 48" side by side and a 48" Wolf stove with 24" griddle as those are the two items we'd be using the most in our kitchen.

Also, as for budget, we don't really have a set one in mind right now but given the prices of the sub zero and wolf cooktop, we want to try to save money if we can on the lesser used appliances in the kitchen. That being said, we also want to be sure that the other appliances fit in nicely with the sub zero/wolf so that nothing really looks out of place.

We would like to get people's opinions on which wall ovens, dishwashers, and microwave we could pair with the two appliances above? The salesman at the store we went to suggested Jenn Air ovens and dishwashers and the Sharp undercounter microwave.

We inquired about the Wolf ovens but it sounds like they are a lot more expensive than Jenn Air and from a practicality standpoint don't offer too much different than Jenn Air.

Are there other brands/models that you guys would recommend that would pair well with the Sub Zero fridge and Wolf cooktop?

Lastly, we will also be needing a washer / dryer (preferably front loading) and the salesman recommended an Electrolux washer and dryer. Any thoughts on those?

Sorry that I'm kind of all over the place with all the stuff I'm asking but we're just starting out so really just wanted to get some other ideas from people who've actually used this stuff!

Thanks!

Comments (15)

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you, I haven't really considered Bosch but I'll check them out... from a cost perspective how would Bosch compare to Jenn Air or Electrolux/etc?

  • 11 years ago
    About the same range of pricing
  • 11 years ago
    You can get a wall oven with microwave above. For the Dishwasher and Refrigerator I recommend wood panels that match cabinetry. Less matching different styles to worry about.
  • 11 years ago

    My Wolf gas cooktop has never had a problem. If you get the Wolf stove your oven is part of it, right? Do you actually need an extra wall oven? How often would it be used?

    I would highly recommend a warming drawer.

    Front loading w/d use way less water but you need to leave the door open so they don't get funky inside.

    Like the ASKO dishwasher.


  • 11 years ago

    We were thinking of getting just the wolf cooktop and not the range as we don't like to have to bend down to get stuff in and out of oven all the time... We also would like to utilize the space beneath the cooktop for drawers for pots/pans and maybe spices or cooking utensils.

  • 11 years ago

    I think there was once a quiz here about best dishwashers, and the answers ran like 95% Bosch, so I think you want to go with that for sure -- they're reliable, very quiet, and come in a range of styles and pricepoints (including some very simple ones that would save you money). Wrestle with the other choices, but consider this one done.


  • 11 years ago
    Miele dishwasher seems to be the best based on my research.

    I like wolf, but I adore the lacanche and la cornue ranges. Waiting for a while as I have a five star that works great and still working on what to do with my kitchen.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hi tangfj.....like what you're thinking with the Wolf cooktop vs. a range. We too upgraded have the 48" cooktop (which by the way also means a bigger vent insert) with the griddle. It was one of hubby's few "musts" for the new home. We too like having the additional pots/pans drawers, spice drawers below the cooktop area and like not having to bend down when utilizing the ovens.

    Btw, we also chose to stay with the builder's "standard" Kitchen Aid double ovens, microwave, Bosch dishwasher and Kitchen Aid built in fridge. There were other upgrades (with wood flooring, hardware, cabinetry, lighting, plumbing fixtures plus "behind the wall options", structural options, etc.) so we allocated option monies to those items instead.

    Not sure if you are building in a neighborhood or development like we did....but if so, perhaps observe what your neighbors are installing in their homes, ie to what extent they may be upgrading their kitchens, and other elements of their homes, etc. That may give you a better idea as to what to prioritize upgrades-wise....so you aren't over-improving or over-upgrading in comparison to your general "market". Most importantly though consider the items that are the highest priority to you first and foremost and perhaps allocate funds to those items that are more costly and/or difficult to do after closing on your home.

    Best of luck to you....hope to hear how the new home progresses! :-)

    tangfj thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    PS even though all of our appliances don't "match" brand wise, they work well together design-wise. The builder's model home also showcases the same appliance brands that we selected....the only difference being the smaller Wolf cooktop is shown in their model.

    tangfj thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks Avery, we're building in a development that has several "approved" custom home builders. The home price range in the neighborhood goes from $300k up to $1MM but I'd say on average the nicer homes are probably in the $600-800k range.


    Your suggestion of looking at what neighbors are putting in is a good idea. I'll have to take a look around to see. I also like the idea of using the builder standard options for appliances that we don't care about as much. Great idea! We'll just have to see how it can all fit together.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I think Bosch dishwashers offer outstanding value for the price. Their key selling proposition, I think, is quietness, and that they are - I have one in my own house. Miele is more expensive, stoutly built and almost as quiet - but I have one of those as well at a weekend property and it has been nothing but trouble. Mieles are known for circulation pump impellers that get 'sticky' when the dishwasher is left idle for more than a few days - which can only be unstuck using a proprietary hook tool that you have to fish into a crevice in the bottom of the machine. If you don't mind doing that every time you leave your house for a few days, go Miele!


    Re microwaves, they are cheap replaceable commodity appliances these days - probably all are made in China by now with different brand labels slapped on them. I'd just pick one on the basis of style and appearance and wouldn't spend too much money on it.

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks, for those of you with Bosch or other European brands, do you have any comments on them not having a built in disposal? I've been conditioned my whole life to pre-rinse dishes before they go in to the dishwasher but the idea of just throwing them in and letting the food go to the disposal in the dishwasher sounds appealing with the American brands... also, what about the lack of heated dry cycle in the euro brands?

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hi tangfj....hmmm, your neighborhood sounds almost exactly like ours, lol!

    Btw, I also work in the new home industry....and yes, also with the builder we built our home with...and what I've suggested is exactly what I would advise my clients in regards to prioritizing upgrades. I'm a big believer in not upgrading items of less priority and to always consider resale (to a certain extent, depending on whether this is your "forever home" or not) and because of that not over improving based on the market . I've worked with too many clients who plan to sell their current homes (in order to purchase a new one) but are not able to recoup their full investment in upgrades they put into their homes because it's over-improved compared to their neighbors.

    With the "up-turn" of today's market (in many areas), it's not as difficult to make a good profit resale wise....but it's difficult to say what tomorrow will bring....so it's always good to be conscientious to a certain extent. Plus, there's still always appraisals to consider.....which obtaining one at or over whatever the final purchase price will be is many times necessary to finalize loan approvals (for many folks anyway). And unfortunately appraisers will not deem certain upgrades (like appliances plus many other types of options) at a dollar per dollar value or any value at all....especially if the majority of the "market" isn't selecting similar options.

  • 11 years ago
    I currently have a Bosch, purchased less than a year ago, and find it very quiet, good at cleaning, and very easy to clean the filter. My previous dishwasher had the type of filter that's supposed to break down food and never have to be cleaned; the filter started getting noisy before it was 10 years old, and when I took it apart to see what the problem was, I was disgusted to see how much "gunk" was in the filter. I do not miss the heated dry cycle - usually turn on the dishwasher before I go to bed and all is dry in the morning. I do hand wash plastic storage containers as they do not dry dry well without a high heat dry cycle.