Software
Houzz Logo Print
jacquelynmarie1

The room just doesn't have "it"

11 years ago
The room is slowly coming together... New paint, new furniture, new mantle, new accessories and today new art. I'm not sure how I feel about the art. The room just doesn't have that "wow", put-together look. Every time I buy something new I get excited until I see it in the space. Then I'm disappointed that the room still doesn't look pulled together. Any suggestions? What am I missing?

Comments (83)

  • 11 years ago
    @leelee -I know it's a little high but I already have hooks on the wall and I don't want to put more holes there until I decide what to do :)
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I am for starting with losing the mirror on the fireplace and moving the flat screen out of the corner to wall mounted or fireplace mounted. Today technology like Directv's wireless system could make relocating the TV simplistic. I don't often favor the TV over the fireplace but in this situation it would help reduce the height of the stone fireplace and free up both corners for built-ins or furnishings. Good luck with you project.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I like it turned horizontally. Don't usually care for a mirror over the mantel but yours look really good. I think it's the heavy frame. Plus, the stones create a busy pattern that could fight with art.

  • 11 years ago

    This article suggests having colour at the bottom of tall draperies to bring your eye down and to add a cozy feel. You could have panels sewn onto the bottom of your existing drapes. Big scale mirror on this fireplace too.

    Traditional Living Room · More Info


  • 11 years ago

    Good idea BetteP to lengthen the drapes by adding fabric to the bottom!

  • 11 years ago

    I do think that a rug layered over the carpet could add a lot. Currently the carpet is really high contrast with other elements, and it's drawing the eye away from the focal points (fireplace, windows, art).

  • 11 years ago

    jacqueline, I think you may have misunderestimated (as someone famous once said) your room. I think it may have IT, or be very close, when you hang the art. Look how great it looks below: perfect size, perfect colors.

    I think you might leave the recliner--pull it away from the corner a bit--and balance the TV with a single piece of art about the size I show below. I would hang the TV and art as shown, and replace the corner console with a regular one set square to the wall.

    I show it with your original mantel decor and with the mantel bare. I think the fireplace stone is the showstopper, and I actually like it bare rather than with assorted objects and mirror. A single dynamite piece set on the mantel might be perfect, but I haven't found it yet.


  • 11 years ago
    I agree with moving sectional 90 degrees. Put tv near corner, but not all the way in corner, just slight angle to best view from fave corner of sectional seat. I would make cocktail table on same angle as TV (parallel to TV). Try chair away from wall, but placed next to sectional. Might have to be somewhat in front of fireplace. Art will tell you where it belongs after that!
  • 11 years ago
    @puprags- in a perfect world we could rotate the sectional... But the door to the deck is right there on that wall so it leaves that floor space useless :( I wish the door wasn't right there!
  • 11 years ago
    @groveraxle- you know I like the pics without anything over the mantle better too!! Crazy, before we started the room makeover- I thought it looked too bare, so the mirror was one of the first things I bought, but now it looks almost too cluttered!
  • 11 years ago
    I like the room, I really think you should move the chair out of that spot and move the sofa closer to the fireplace, it feels independent from the room, I'd even try it away from the wall also. Maybe 10" or so. I like the robe on the fireplace . Or bare, even , better than the round mirror. TV on the wall is way better. You may have to try more ways but you are getting closer. It will work out !
  • 11 years ago

    Jacquelyn, such a difference with the art hung! Love Grover's latest renderings above. I do like the recliner placed on the other side of the room better just because it feels more balanced to me especially with identical cabinets (and maybe eventually built ins) on each side. But placing the recliner at the original location and styling that area similarly to how Grover proposed looks great too....so go with which way functions better for you and your family.

    As for drapes, take your time with deciding on what to do there. Dressing your windows could definitely add to the "wow" factor but with the size of your windows that will be an investment so should be something you love for a long time....so take your time with that.

    In the meantime, I think the art and some of the other changes suggested above will get you well on your way to realizing your vision.

  • 11 years ago

    @jacquelyn - ..but WOW - your house really is stunning. I hope you let us know how the room turns out.

  • 11 years ago

    Agree the fireplace wall needs to be changed it maybe to a beige or some to bring out the fireplace too many dark layers.

  • 11 years ago

    Here is a cast paper sculpture I found online. I couldn't find a size or a price, but I suspect something like this would rival the price of a new car. Second rendering is a nearly 7' Bwa plank mask that disappeared into the stone until I mounted it on a piece of black wood. Now that would be actually doable.


  • 11 years ago

    And jacqueline, take the little corner protectors off before you hang the art. I'm pretty sure you're keeping it. ;-)


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Have you tried placing the TV and it's console where the 2 large art work are (in the pics)? and put the couch in from of the window - with enough space to walk through, etc..

    I think cabinets on both sides of the fireplace would be nice with accent lighting (or sconces of some sort) on the walls above the cabinets on each side.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    A colorful rug would ground the room and give some nice contrast to the pretty but muted tones.

    Trans Ocean Fantasy 7155/19 Pop Swirl Driftwood Area Rug|Payless Rugs - Fantasy · More Info


  • 11 years ago
    Big improvement. Room is starting to feel balanced. The wall art looks great. I think I would remove the mirror from fireplace. I would put something low on floor on other side of fireplace. I sometimes place a painting on floor, even. But, possibly a trunk or cool looking magazine rack? Good job!
  • 11 years ago

    Good creative juices flowing here! You've seen what raising the drapes adds to your room, so do that and install matching remote control blackout shades on the upper windows, so you can move the TV opposite the windows with its own credenza, 25% wider than the set. Turn the sofa and float it away from the curtains just enough to clear the floor vent. Put the chair, lamp, hassock, FP mirror and a bookcase in the corner now occupied by the sofa for a reading nook. Fill the niches flanking the FP with two large pieces of art and some well proportioned plants in attractive pots. Start with some at floor level to one nice big fig, ficus or palm that reaches well above the mantel. Add a new round coffee table. Then find just the right large sculptural piece for the mantel.


  • 11 years ago

    Love the rendering showing with nothing over the mantle :)

  • 11 years ago

    All the furniture is shoved over to one side of the room, it's not balanced. I like all your furniture and I really like the art work. You need to find a way to distribute weight through out the space.

  • 11 years ago

    Yes! Turn the sofa to float and fill the wall with the TV vignette.


  • 11 years ago
    Thanks but we can't rotate the sectional- the door to our deck is on the opposite wall. We can move the chair over as I showed in an earlier post but that's about it :( the room is not that big... Bummer I know!
  • 11 years ago
    In your many permutations, have you ever split the twin paintings and put one on each side of the fireplace?
    It might be interesting: adding interim height plus grounding 'mass' to help offset the soaring chimney stone.
  • 11 years ago
    @lexico- that was my husband's first thought too! However, that art competed too much with the stone so it just didn't look right.
  • 11 years ago

    Grover is awesome. I'd push the sofa into the room about 10" so more rug shows. The round mirror isn't really working there. The fireplace is the statement, so less is more. If you are getting new curtains I'd go higher as Grover showed and in a color in art and pillows, not white. All the white on the one wall is throwing the room off balance. Its going to be great. Almost there.

  • 11 years ago
    Interesting point on the white curtains @suzyq53 . I thought adding white would lighten up the room since there was so much darkness, but maybe that is throwing off the balance! And I took the round mirror down this morning :)
  • 11 years ago
    I love the art and your room. I think the carpet color is too light for the room. A warmer color would make all the difference!
  • 11 years ago

    I agree with the people who posted about the rug. When you change flooring get a colorful large area rug. That will anchor everything together in the room. Right now everything is floating on the white carpet.

    You have a nicely furnished room. It's the carpet that is the problem. Can you get an area rug to go over the carpet? Perhaps with some blue and yellow and orange in it.

  • 11 years ago
    I think there is too much contrast between the walls and the carpeting, I'd find an area rug to bring some of that color to the floor and bring in a chair or other furniture on the left side of the room. The balance is off a bit, too heavy on the right side.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    With the direction the deck door swings and the apparent non-cornering back to your sofa, I'm having a hard time believing it can't work on the other side of the room. Right now it looks to be about 5-6' away from the FP wall, so with some of that space taken up with sofa, it may not interfere with a door that opens from left to right. Have you ever tried it? Often, posters find that trying something for the first time yields some pleasant surprises!

  • 11 years ago
    Thanks so much for everyone's help! I think I know what I need to do now.... I found 2 different media consoles as options to put on each side of the fireplace. Problem is they can only be 48" or so, so there aren't a lot of options out there that have all closed doors. What do you guys think of either of these 2? Please ignore the messy room last night and all the Mother's Day memorabilia on the mantel
  • 11 years ago

    Hard to tell from the pictures, how tall are they? I would lean towards the taller of the two if they are not the same. If they are, then which one do YOU like better?


  • 11 years ago
    Sorry- the arhaus one is 48w x 20d x 30h. The crate and barrel one is 48w x 20d x 26h. Our current corner unit is 26h- so no big difference. I am struggling with committing to one, so I just wanted some reassurance & 2nd opinions!
  • 11 years ago

    I like the one on the right because it feels lighter and more modern. Your furniture is pretty solid looking, so the two lighter looking consoles are good. Also the right one has legs like your chair. I'm not sure about putting dark brown on the dark wall, they will kind of disappear.

  • 11 years ago

    I like both cabinets. For me, height would be the determining factor. I'd like to see your TV raised so at least 1/4 of the screen is above the mantel height. (See my previous renderings.) I'd want the bottom of the TV then to be no more than about 8 - 12" from the top of the cabinet.


  • 11 years ago

    48w 35h

    Calvin Cubby - Bookcases & Shelves - Office - Room & Board · More Info


  • 11 years ago
    Have a couple of suggestions - a small chandelier, changing the color of the side wall to cream, changing the centre table to glass or something sleeker, are on both sides of the wall with the mirror and maybe a more colourful rug/ throw pillows but of the same color/pattern. Also couple of indoor plants. Attaching a few references in case they help.
  • 11 years ago
    Hmmm... I'll keep looking for a tall media cabinet. I definitely want closed doors though since it will be housing kids movies, wii games, toys, etc :) any suggestions on places to look for media cabinets? I feel like I've googled "48" media cabinet" one too many times! Lol
  • 11 years ago


    Artmax Cabinet & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info


    Artmax 2 Door Cabinet & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info


  • 11 years ago

    Hi, check these out also by Hooker Furniture.

    These are around 43-44" wide and 34-36" in height.

    http://www.hookerfurniture.com/Hooker-Furniture-Melange-Villa-Blanca-Chest/638-85032-5/ItemInformation.aspx


  • 11 years ago

    Your TV may be too large for these? But if not, these would fit within your size requirements for your niches

    The Printmaker and LaSalle TV Armoires/Cabinets

    https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/category/products.jsp?categoryId=cat1850057&sale=false



  • 11 years ago
    add some greenery with flowers. Can't fail gives life to All. add color with the pillows and maybe a rug with a design
  • 11 years ago

    There are also options to customize your own media cabinets at Room and Board.

    Below shows one their "Hudson" style that is approximate 44" wide x 50" high.

    Then you can configure it the way you want, ie with glass or solid doors at the top and drawers or double doors at the bottom, etc.

    There are about 6 styles that you can customize and also several finishing options.

    http://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/custom/media-storage



  • 10 years ago

    I liked the roundness of the mirror you had over the mantel, I just didn't like the fact that it was a mirror! Mirrors over mantels are a big pet peeve of mine because 95% of the time, whatever they reflect isn't pretty. I think the round shape helped a lot to soften all the hard right angles in the room. I think a big round clock would work there...at least the diameter of the mirror or larger. that wouldn't compete with the busy pattern of the stone.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I would put wall units in white color on both side of fireplace
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    You could consider accentuating the height of your fireplace by stacking three beautiful pieces of metal art, mirrors, etc.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Is it possible to flip sofa mirrored to other side of room and mount tv on the wall. Personally I like the fireplace I do think it needs a larger mantle much larger maybe like a barn post or something. I just hate the idea of covering up the stone look of the fireplace with artwork.
  • 10 years ago

    Old Post