Software
Houzz Logo Print
m4ngo

Holes in my yard

11 years ago

I'm going to attach a photo so everyone will know what these look like. I live in Mississippi. My yard is pretty hard, and has a fair amount of clay in it. These hole range from 1-2 inches in diameter and up to 3- 4. However, there are only just a few of the larger holes, most are 1-2 inches. No mounds present anywhere in the yard. I had just a few runways in my yard a few months ago and those have vanished after I used the poison peanuts. Now I have tons of these holes everywhere, and they are found around the side of a vacant house next to mine that is about 10 yards away, randomly scattered throughout different areas of my front, side, and back yard. I have no holes along the exterior walls of my house, they are just along the side walls of the other home. I do know that some are connected because I used my water hose and drained a few of them to check. Not all of them appear to be, but they might be too deep to be able to know. I have researched and read more than I care to on this issue, and I'm still at a stand still. Several different rodents fit the descriptions of these. I will say that I have never seen a skunk in the five years I've been here, nor an armadillo. There are opossums in Mississippi, and according to what I have read that is one suspect. Another of course is moles, but like I said I do not have any runs in my yard. Then there are voles. Big possibility, but then there are ground squirels. I've trapped a raccoon in the back yard last and have not seen another since. But I do know they are common in my neighborhood. I can't get a clear cut answer on whether rats create these type of holes or not. Again, they are along side of an avacant home 10 yards to the side of mine, and randomly all over my yard. Most of them are a foot apart, but some are just here and there. Please help!!! Whatever it is is ruining my yard and it is starting to look pretty pathetic. I don't want to have to resort to the "bucket of death", if this is the squirel but I am trying to sell my home, and if it come to it I will have to do whatever I can to defend my territory. Random cats are already around my yard all the time, and they do absolutely nothing but sleep on my deck and wonder to other people's yards. I need a sure fire way to deter or kill whatever is doing this. Paying a trapper is out of the question, it will be hundres I have already checked. Traps like tomcat don't work. I haven't tried the mousetrap next to the hole with a bucket over it yet because I have heard too many negative reviews. I might try putting professional grade rat poison and hope for the best. Btw, I never see anything when I look at night, and have never seen anything during the day. I'm loosing hope. Again, I don't want to do anything cruel, but it that is the only means to an end I might have to.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting