Software
Houzz Logo Print
danielise3

Help with bug identifications?

11 years ago

Hello! I'm trying to identify these bugs and eggs mainly to find out if they're beneficial or harmful, any help is appreciated! =)


Found this guy on my sage.


The next three bugs were all found on my Hollyhocks.




These eggs are on the underside of my broccoli plants... there's a few clusters of them.


Comments (7)

  • 11 years ago

    where are you. that your broccoli is that big???

    ken


  • 11 years ago

    North central Arkansas! Z6

  • 11 years ago

    The first looks like a Pirate bug, one of the 'true bugs', a general predator.

    Third image reminds me of one of the Flat bugs, also a true bug. If so, not a problem.

    Next are a couple of leaf hoppers....there are many similiar species, all of them feed on plants by sucking sap from the vascular system. Only a problem in large numbers, but can spread some diseases.

    I can't tell if the eggs are empty or not. Pure white eggs are often vacated shells. I also can't tell if they are round or barrel shaped.

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks for the suggestions!

    The eggs are definitely round, maybe I'll try to squish one to see if it's empty... didn't think about that!


  • 11 years ago

    getting IDs is fascinating ...

    but i note.. on all your pix.. i see absolutely no damage to your plants ... and damage is the first clue.. to freak out.. lol ...

    otherwise.. knowledge is power ...

    it was in the mid 30s last week up here in MI ... in the middle o f the night... i am stunned by how big your plants are .. i thought for sure.. you were down under... and worried about late fall bugs .. which i rarely worry about .. as winter will usually kill them off ...

    the geometric patterns of bug egg laying is fascinating ...

    ken


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Although your intentions are in the right place, Ken, damage isn't apparent with many of the peskiest insect pests....like those leaf hoppers in the above picture. Scale insects, aphids, and stinkbugs are just a few others.

    So damage isn't the first clue unless the pest happens to be one that chews on foliage, fruit, or flowers. But you are absolutely right about trying to get IDs. The more you know, the more interesting (and mysterious) these insects are.

    Broccoli is one of those plants that are very tolerant of cold temperatures, even into the low thirties.

  • 11 years ago

    well thank you, ken_adrian!!

    I was having quite a bit of trouble with flea beetles:


    they seem to be somewhat under control now, but yes there is quite a bit of damage... mostly on the leaves that have been there a while. I know I also have an aphid problem, so I've been trying to make my garden a ladybug haven which seems to be working! I found some ladybug eggs on a few plants!

    This has all been pretty fascinating to me! I LOVE the patterns of the eggs in these pics. I've had a pretty rough time over the past two years with organic gardening... last year we lost all our cabbage family to those nasty cabbage worms. =( so I'm trying to really learn good vs. bad insects in attempt to let them do their natural thing!

    We have a good few little frogs out there too... but I'm wanting to put in a water feature at some point to encourage them to come on over!