Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cinnamontree

Tonka Bean (Dipteryx Odorata)

cinnamontree
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

After waiting three years, searching across the internet, and speaking to many people from many different countries, I'm happy to say that I have gotten a hold of viable tonka beans from my Uncle who works on a ship near Trinidad.

This is the third time he has sent the beans, and the most I've gotten at once (just over 200 before sorting through for broken or fermented ones).

The first round ever, I had one turn green while it was in the soil, but rotted shortly thereafter and did not grow. I was determined to get them to grow, and I think this time I'm having more success! You can see in the second picture that the embryo has started extending into the soil. I'd imagine this means good things.

Many of the seeds begin to rot or crumble if you soak them ahead of planting, especially if you remove the seed coating like I've done here. I think maybe the coumarins in the coating seize bacterial and fungal growth in order to protect the seed during germination and seedling development.

I don't have much experience mailing things, but I know there has to be someone out there as excited as I am about these seeds. Does anyone have any experience whatsoever or want to give some a go? I am debating putting a small number up for sale online since literally nobody sells them. (TropiLab is a joke.)

Comments (30)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I wonder if you germinate them in coarse perlite (no soil) and just water them enough to keep them barely damp and making sure the pots are very well draining if they would rot less. I have germinated seeds that way. I also have used those sponge Biodome seed cell things with the Biodome planter from Park Seed. They do a great job at keeping seeds from rotting. I have germinated some especially troublesome seeds that way. I also usually use bottom heat to get them going quickly before they rot lol.

• aruzinsky
    8 years ago

Are you aware that the FDA banned Tonka beans from food because they contain the liver toxin, coumarin? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coumarin . In case you just like smelling Tonka beans, it's cheaper to buy pure coumarin and smell that.

• Ralph D White
    7 years ago

Toxic if you eat them by a shovel full; so is ginger, mace, etc.

• richall
    7 years ago
    Can you drop me a note and let me know how your project turned out? Interested in trying to grow a tree as well.
  • Thomas Maier
    7 years ago

Hey cinnamontree! Do you have some updates on how your experiments went? I'm also really motivated to grow a Dipteryx odorata myself.

• O.G. Yardens
    7 years ago

I'm interested in an update. After much research, there is nothing illegal about owning or growing or purchasing tonka beans or a dipteryx odorata tree. What is illegal is selling food products that uses tonka beans as an ingredient.

I'm looking for some beans to sprout or some seedlings.

• O.G. Yardens
    7 years ago

I've only got a contact in Puerto Rico and have asked if they know anyone, but it is not a promising lead.

• tropicaltrodding
    7 years ago

Hello greetings, stumbled upon this while trying to find info on how to germ fresh Tonka I collected while in forest over weekend, I thought I could offer you'll some germplasm if u wish, and an observation that the seeds that do survive the paca germinate on top the soil

• tropicaltrodding
    7 years ago

• cinnamontree
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I have had success soaking the seeds in a slightly acidic solution for 12 hours (add lemon or lime juice to water), then planting in an acidic soil mix with the embryo pointed down. The embryo is the root tip, the pointy end of the seed.

You can remove the coating but it doesn't affect germination. The seeds should start growing immediately.
  • cinnamontree
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Can I pay you to ship me a few fruits? I'll pay handsomely. :) I have import permits too.
  • Roger Leuwen
    6 years ago

Hi CinnamonTree. Have you continued to work with Tonka? Do you provide seeds to other growers? Would love to hear more

• onecoconut808
    6 years ago

please let me know if you have some for sale. I am interested and have looked myself for years. I have other seed you may like. I grow many different hardwoods and plants. Andrew

• marie_richardson17
    6 years ago

hi CinnamonTree,how are your tonka plants doing now?

• angeloantolino
    6 years ago

It would be wonderful, if you can explain me how to grow tonka bean. Since I am going to use it in some dishes of Venezuelan cuisine and being intereted in gorwing it, your opinion would be really helpful.

• HighOn Fragrance
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here is a licensed supplier for those interested. I recently purchased 1 oz (approximately 20-21) beans for making tinctures for fragrances and they were ALL extremely fresh and high quality. Hope this helps :) https://www.greencottagecreek.com/product/tonka-dypterix-odorata-cumaru-bean/

• PRO
    Man of Letters
    4 years ago

please put viable seeds up for sale. i cant find them anywhere !!!! my email is keythgarcia808@gmail.com

• Rhapsody Hooks
    3 years ago
  • Heather Mitchell
    2 years ago

How are your tonka beans growing? I'm excited to try growing some for myself... but i cannot find beans with the husk on - i saw a video that they need the husk to grow for some reason.

are you selling any? pls email me heathermitchell2009@gmail dot com :)

• cinnamontree
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hey Tonka gang, I'm back! Plus, I have some great news.

Germination:

I have figured out more or less how to germinate the seeds and why they were rotting for me so much. If the fruits are extremely fresh, the seeds can be taken out or left inside the husk, and they will germinate either way. Since any fruits you would get are likely not extremely fresh (considering harvest, cleaning, and shipping), I would leave them inside the husk for germination. Taking them outside of the husk when they are not fresh will absolutely encourage molding and subsequent loss of germplasm. Last year I was able to germinate 16/17 successfully by leaving them inside the husk and patiently waiting. They take months to pop up out of the soil and show leaves, so you really do need to be patient. Also, planting the seeds sideways, and half inside the soil, half outside, is the best method I have found. It allows aeration, but moisture retention, while also allowing the root to orient itself easily. If the soil dries out during this process, the seed may perish, so be sure to keep it moist, but not moldy.

Live Trees:

I personally have two sapling trees that are 1 year old growing in 5 gallon pots, and the rest have been either donated or have been purchased. My trees have survived a few nights into the upper 40s F and showed zero cold damage. As long as they stay above 40 F and are mostly warm they will be totally fine.

There are two trees at the Naples Botanical Gardens, one in ground in the actual gardens, and one in their nursery. The one in ground is struggling and looks very unhealthy, but also has been outdoors for the entire winter. I hope it recovers.

There is one FIVE FOOT TALL TREE at the Fruit and Spice Park in Miami from seeds that I donated years ago. They are planting it in ground any day now. I visited it in their greenhouse this past week and I was brought to tears at how good of a job they did with it.

There are supposedly a few trees alive from seeds I donated in the greenhouse at Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden, but I cannot confirm nor do I know where they are located within the garden.

There is one sapling, one year old, in the ground at a public food forest. I don't want to release any more details because there have been theft issues in the past with trees in this particular food forest.

Now for the really good news...

I have 15 fresh seeds for purchase, available as of today. They are in their husks still, and although I cannot guarantee that they'll all germinate, my rate from this provider was incredible last round and I am confident the majority will germinate. Please email me at the address I placed in an above post if you are interested in buying a few. I recommend two at least, but considering their price ($30 each) I understand if you're only wanting to buy one. Remember, this took me almost 10 years to sort out logistically and gain experience! If you're serious about growing this plant, this is your opportunity.

• HU-899108783
    2 years ago

Aloha, this is Andrew in hawaii. i lost your phone contact. please text me.

• cinnamontree
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Andrew, sent you an email including my phone number. I don't believe I ever received yours.

• David Alexander
    last year

Looking for any one will to buy tanko bean am from Trinidad and Tobago could be contacted whatapp 18687702456

• m. blaga
    last year

Hello, I am from Tenerife, Canary Islands. I am interested in purchasing few Tonka Beans to plant. Are there any available? Do you ship to the Canary Islands (Spain)? Thank you.

• Jennifer Coursey
    last year

Hi! I know i am late to this party, but if you have beans to sell again sometime i would love some (I am in New Orleans). my email is courseysATgmail

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last year

I am wondering if Fairchild or The Fruit and Spice Park ever got any of their donated seeds to germinate?

• David Alexander
    11 months ago

Looking for buyers of seed whatapp18687702456

• David Alexander
    11 months ago

• David Alexander
    11 months ago

What ever amount needed

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer