Software
Houzz Logo Print
suroop

Our new breakfast/ kitchen area

11 years ago
Need help .we are in the process of buying this 1988 house.This is picture of our breakfast area ,small work space which has cabinets the same as in kitchen which is in the center.
1) I would like to change the color of the cabinets what can i choose which matches black granite, white vinyl tiles
2) should i remove the work space to make it feel more open up but i hate to loose so many cabinets
3) what color paint for the interior. Rt now they have yellow colored wall paper.

Comments (24)

  • 11 years ago
    We don't want to paint cabinets white so any other idea for cabinets
  • 11 years ago

    I think I'd leave the far section of work space cabinets but remove the ones that are on the kitchen side and seem to be blocking some light. Could they work in a laundry or even the garage? Too early to worry about the cabinet color. You want to pick wall color too and paint is always dependent on the fabrics you use. Paint can be custom blended to work with the fabrics but not vice versa. Consider keeping the two tone idea working by painting the island base a different color for an accent. Search the box above for painted island and you'll get some ideas about the entire kitchen paint job.


  • 11 years ago
    Thanks so much for your advice ! I really liked the idea of removing the centre work space to open up and am going to look in the island color scheme!
  • 11 years ago

    I think you just need to move into the house & let yourself get settled. You won't know what you will be happy with as far as changes go until you have lived with it for a while. Say, six months or so. I am always anxious to make plans way ahead of time & it always just causes more headaches & many more changes when I do that.

  • 11 years ago
    You are right sandradclark but as soon as i saw the kitchen it just didn't feel cohesive to me.i know i have to make it look more appealing to me.
    I know the cabinetry fixtures are really old so thats an easy change which will change the kitchen a lot.
    I am looking in to the idea of 2 tones in kitchen by paining the island cabinets only- i could do white or black or green.
    Which one do u think would make it come together more.

    I am still thinking about the color for interior.
  • 11 years ago
    What about a red island and white cabinets!
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks Miranda but red is too bold for me ! I saw some pics of muted green for island and keeping the other cabinets the same but i am not sure
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    angie My first thought was also to remove the work cabinets facing the kitchen, or at least the upper ones. Removing them all will likely leave behind damaged vinyl flooring, but removing uppers looks like it would force you to have to do new countertops on the lowers. Do you need the desk area that is against the back wall?

    Taking the large dark valance will certainly let more light flood the space at least.

    The existing cabinetry is actually pretty neutral which is good. Especially if you are open to doing a different color island or different lowers and uppers. I think a muted green would look great on the island/lowers with a medium cream (no yellow undertones) on the walls. I could also see a muted robin’s egg blue on the uppers with a medium/dark taupe/grey on the island/lowers with a super light warm grey on the walls.

    Looks like you’ll be buying or sewing new cushions and pillows for the window seat, so that will be a great opportunity to bring the new cabinet color(s) in via fabric!

  • 11 years ago
    You have a ton of cabinets in that kitchen. Nice! If it was my place, I'd remove the work area plus the cabinets behind it to really open up that room-it looks cramped and out of place to me. Unless you cook for an extremely large family, that kitchen should be able to store enough stuff.

    It's true though, you will probably have issues with the floor, but if you can afford it, that gives you options for updated flooring. There are so many new and beautiful products out there now.

    As for color, the sky's the limit. Depends on what makes your heart sing! I had black granite in my kitchen and painted my walls a light periwinkle blue, with linen colored cabinets. In my new build, my walls are a grayish blue, counter will be cream colored, the island will be walnut slab, and the cabinets will be charcoal.

    The one thing I would definitely do is remove the foofy valance to let more light in.

    Congrats on the new house, enjoy and have fun
  • 11 years ago

    Are these the ones that inspire you? That would be an easy refresh you could do before moving in.

    Traditional Kitchen · More Info


    Custom Craftsman · More Info


  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for the pics decoenthusiaste !
    The second pic is the one that I thought closely resemble the cabinet colors that I ve and would look nice I think!

    I am so thankful to all of you to be able to share what's in my mind and get feedback ! This is a great place.

    I want this room to look bright but I am tired of yellow interiors ( I ve had that my whole life)

    Adalisa suggested medium cream on walls would that keep the area bright !i don't plan to put anything on windows and have to buy breakfast table probably oval shaped to fit in the sitting area already there in that corner .

    Do I wait to get breakfast table and then decide wall color ... So many questions ? Thanks for all your advice .
  • 11 years ago

    I would redesign the tall storage in the foreground down to counter height. That way you could keep some storage without messing up the floor. The cabinets are not that bad and the tops and flooring look to be in good shape. Painting the island only is a good option. The green looks great or a steely blue. Yes get that table out of the middle of the room and use the window seating as banquette with table and chairs. For wall color I'd select a shade of off white that goes with the island color. Aside from the yellow paper and the curtain thing, the thing that bugs me most is the white quarter round under the island and cabs. Does that have to be there? Can it be painted to match the floors or cabs? Or replace it with something else?

  • 11 years ago

    good eye suzyq53. That white quarter round should be shoe molding, which is thinner, and should be painted the same color as the floor. And great idea to make the window seating banquette with table and a few other chairs. I'd still remove all that other cabinetry. Doesn't seem needed unless home office space is needed.

  • 11 years ago
    Thanks suzyq53 and kmkane for your really intuitive comments!

    I am thinking about getting the upper portion of cabinetry removed from front row but then i wonder if the bottom half will look out of place . There is granite on back side of front row and front side would nt have any...
    May be as almost all of u ve suggested to completely remove the front row and probably repair the damaged flooring. I don't think we want to redo the flooring entirely.

    I like painting the island steely blue/ green - will get samples and try it.

    Ure so very right about the white quarter round which i will get painted.should i match it to floor( different shade of white) or wall color .
  • 11 years ago
    This looks really like what I would have for banquette
  • 11 years ago

    Grover, where's the light reflection on the ceiling coming from now that you eliminated that window or slider? I'd hate to lose that.


  • 11 years ago
    Would it be from the light over the table?
  • 11 years ago
    Oh wow ! that looks so nice. Yes there is a window there in between front and back cabinets which we can keep.
  • 11 years ago

    No, look at the original pix and see that there is light coming into the work space, probably from a window, but maybe from a slider or French doors. I'd like to see French doors there whether or not all the cabinets are removed.


  • 11 years ago
    Decoenthusiaste that light is coming from the window! We have sliders on the whole wall facing kitchen and living room looking outside to the pool. So ure right when u envision sliders/ French doors for this room ..I don't have a picture rt now for that !
    Any other ideas about what color for these cabinets now ? Should it be painted the island color or remain oak color?
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    This is not a kitchen, but I think the black counter top works well with the cabinetry and pale blue wall color used in this family space.

    Lower level bar · More Info



  • 11 years ago

    I love Grover's photo shop. I'd love to see one with a window and the little desk area left in.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Yes, that's my preference too, suzyq53. The desk seems handy and not too intrusive. Just the big bank of cabinets needs to go, IMO. More expensive to redo the floor, but the look and spaciousness will be worth it.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH