Software
Houzz Logo Print
sparky96

Do a paver patio or stamped concrete???

13 years ago
We are in the process of getting estimates for a patio. Our dilemma: do we go with a paver patio or stamped concrete? Would love to hear the pros and cons of both. I appreciate the feedback! This is not a cheap investment so I want to make sure we make a decision that we don't end up regretting.

Comments (24)

  • 13 years ago
    I put in a flagstone patio a couple of months ago and love it. I thought about doing plain concrete slabs, then decided it was too modern for my 1910 house. I would never do stamped concrete; to me, it seems like trying to make concrete look like something it's not.

    A pic of the work in progress:
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I personally think stamped concrete is very fake looking and can be very slippery - depends upon where you are.

    This is a link to a very unique product. No one else will have one like it around you. http://www.earthstoneproducts.net/wp/?page_id=186
  • 13 years ago
    My own personal concern about stamped concrete is cracking. We're in an older neighborhood in CA and between tree roots and small but constant earthquakes, every sidewalk and large span of concrete is cracked. Pavers seem a bit more flexible in that regard.

    Folks in our neighborhood have both - and both are beautiful. The stamped concrete has only been in a couple years so no one has evidence of cracks yet. That's just something that would concern me.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    yikes, onthe fence, earthquakes! In your case, pavers sound like a better solution.
  • 13 years ago
    Definitely pavers in earthquake country! We have a concrete patio with numerous cracks, some large enough to be call fissures. The previous owner put an overlay on top without fixing the cracks, so guess what? Yep, the overlay cracked. We ended up buying recycled rubber tire tiles to the tune of $1200 to cover the whole thing.

    But also, even if you're not in earthquake country, tree roots can cause concrete to crack as you've probably seen on sidewalks near mature trees.

    Go pavers!
  • 13 years ago
    Olldbobbi, sounds like we're in similar neighborhoods.

    Cynthia, you don't even notice the quake-lettes that are under a 3 on the scale ;-)
  • 13 years ago
    That's true, anything under 3 or sometimes 4 (depending on where the epicenter is) you don't even feel them. I'm in NorCal, onthefence, are you a neighbor?
  • 13 years ago
    Indeed I am. I'm in the Bay Area - which I know encompasses a LOT of territory.
  • 13 years ago
    Funny! I just moved out of the Bay Area, Scum Leandro to be exact! I'm on the other side of the Altamont now.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I'm getting my pool and hardscape remodeled as we speak. In California too (L.A.)... Going with traditional poured concrete with a salt finish texture and adding 4' x 4' grid lines. *Fingers crossed it comes out looking good.*

    I hate pavers...too Tuscan, rustic looking. Natural stone was too expensive.
  • 13 years ago
    mmilos, in your case, I would do blocks of poured concrete, with a row of pavers separating the blocks. If one section, or block, cracks, and you have to replace it down the road, it would be cheaper than replacing a huge amount of concrete, no?
  • 13 years ago
    LOL olldbobbi - I could have probably driven to your old house in less than 15 minutes! CV here ;-)
  • 13 years ago
    Small world!!!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Pavers. Even in non-earthquake prone areas, I think they are just more attractive.

    You are in my old stomping grounds too, onthefence. I grew up in the Bay Area, but haven't lived there in many years.
  • 13 years ago
    That's an idea, bobbi. I'll talk to my contractor about it. I don't have a huge patio or pool deck. The old concrete didn't have rebar and it lasted a good 60 years without too much cracking. My problem was drainage issues, which are getting addressed. I want a clean look. Minor cracks of course will be inevitable but don't really bother me.
  • 13 years ago
    feeny just wishes she still lives here!!!
  • 13 years ago
    If I could transport my current house to the Bay Area, where it would be worth 10x what it is here, I'd be totally on board for a return, bobbi!
  • 13 years ago
    Well, c'mon! There are house movers, you know!
  • 13 years ago
    I had a stamped concrete patio in a previous home and loved it. I didn't have any issues. Everyone thought it was stone.
  • 13 years ago
    Pavers sunk in grass. Mow over them. Drive over them. From afar they will appear like lawn.
  • 8 years ago

    mmilos, how did your patio turn out? I'm stressing over deciding what style to use on my pool patio. Pleas share photos of your finished product. Thank you!

  • 8 years ago

    We had to get cement pavers due to movement cracking the cement, but they do have issues. The sand comes out when it rains. You have to get them sealed every year. At some point you have to add more sand. But no cracking so far. Also $$$.

  • 5 years ago

    I HAVE BOTH I AM GETTING WATER FROM THE PEOPLE ON THE LEFT AND THE PEOPLE IN THE FRONT CALLED THE TOWNSHIP SHE IS LOOKING INTO IT I HAVE ESTIMATES FROM CONTRACTORS WHO WANT THOUSANDS TO FIX IT PIPES DIGGING 6 FEET UNDER THEN GRADING THEN A RETAINER WALL I AM DISGUSTED