Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisonhowshall

Mini rose variety help!!

alisonhowshall
8 years ago

Hi,

I have purchase my first mini rose today but I am unable to find the variety so I can see how to care for it properly it is currently standing at 9 inches.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments (6)

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

Alison, we need to know where you live to give you specific information about how to care for it. Also, was this one of those gift mini roses from the grocery store? If so chances are we won't be able to name it for you. That does not mean we can't help you though.

The first thing you need to know is that roses are not, never ever, house plants. If you want to keep it alive it must be put outside. That's why knowing where you live is so important.

For the time being if that pretty purple pot does not have drainage holes it needs to either have holes put in it or put the rose in another pot that has drainage holes and do not put any type of tray under it. Roses hate to have their roots sitting in water. In that situation probably the first thing you'll notice are the leaves turning yellow and falling off. That's because the roots can not get enough oxygen to breath and they rot. Then there aren't enough roots to feed the leaves so they yellow and drop. Roses like water but not a swamp. Put the pot in full sun, it won't hurt it, and when it's done blooming give it some fertilizer at about half strength. It's a lovely little rose!

• alisonhowshall
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi, thank you so much for your reply....I live in the UK this is literally the only site I could find any information on miniature roses!!

I did purchase it from my local grocery store so that could be why I am having trouble identifying it?

I am going to the garden centre today to buy a pot for it so I can plant it outside it is currently 9 inches tall do you have any suggestions what size pot I would need?

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

I'm not sure how they size pots in the UK. I usually use pots at least 12 inches wide and tall to start minis in. You can go a little bigger but don't get something way too big. I've found they don't seem to do as well when I try to pot those small roses into really large pots. Like most things I think you need to gradually pot them into bigger pots as they grow and the roots fill the pot.

• alisonhowshall
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you :) do you have any advise over the winter period it does get pretty cold in the UK will they be ok left outside or should I bring them into the house over winter? X

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

I wouldn't bring them in the house. Roses are not house plants and they'll be very hard to keep alive. It would be better to leave them outside and let them go dormant. If you plant it in the ground just mulch it heavily for winter. If you keep it potted you can keep it in an insulated but not heated garage and water it about once a month or you can sink the pot in the ground and mulch it for winter. Either way it should be fine. These are all own root plants so even if the canes die back as long as the root ball survives it should come back in the spring.

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    8 years ago

Rose are pretty hardy. If they are in the ground they will survive the winter. You may get some dieback that you will need to prune off in the spring, but they will grow back. Even if you keep this in a large pot outside, your winters in the UK don't normally get cold enough to kill a rose. It would have to be consistently below freezing to do that (if it's potted, roses in the ground can survive even that). Even though it's a 'mini' rose, it's the same plant as those huge roses.

If you bought it in a supermarket, it may not have the specific name of the rose. These roses are sold for grocery stores and sometimes do not have a patent or registered name. It's very pretty though.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus