Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbkwm

Help with a tiny bedroom

kbkwm
8 years ago
I need some help finding storage, decor and furniture layout for my very small bedroom (7x9) the ceiling is very high and there is a storage space above the closet which for the size of the bedroom is pretty spacious (74"H x 38"W x 37"D)
Any thoughts on wall decor and shelving, furniture pieces, lighting and layout would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (67)

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

Here's a favorite approach of mine. Shelves like these could be taken to the ceiling and surround your window. The lower part could be closed with doors or fitted with drawers to help you store things out of sight. Notice the use of small scale antique pieces. Can the storage cabinet above the closet be replicated with another one or two on the right side? I'd use a rolling library style ladder to access it (them) and put your off season items, blankets, etc up there. I agree that under-bed storage is helpful - might be a place for shoes and bags.

Bedroom · More Info

Mud Room · More Info

• 20thcenturyfox
    8 years ago

Years ago I had a similar-sized room. I decided to embrace tiny by making it into a "four-poster room." Swagged fabric across the whole ceiling, with a scalloped valance down the walls, and vertical panels gathered at each corner.

Placed the California king bed crosswise under the window, so it went wall-to-wall, with a spread in a coordinating fabric and pillows against the walls. More fabric for the window, which just had a pull-down shade (nowadays I would have one of those pull-UP shades). A small shelf with ornate brackets to hold a reading lamp. A couple of wall sconces on other walls for extra illumination.

I'm sure a better use of the vertical space could be had by building a bunk bed structure, but this room was romantic, comfortable, and fairly easy and cheap (thanks to a score on the fabric, which was actually 2 different sized coordinating quilted bedspreads (2) and 8 matching curtain panels).

• vickyzzzz
    8 years ago

yes, a loft bed would give you a lot of storage. there's lots of ideas and photos on the internet.

• sgoldcamp
    8 years ago

I would invest in a bed that has storage cabinets below and in the headboard - even if it covers up the bottom part of the window. Also, my son's room is much smaller that his siblings room. I put a full wall mural on one wall, and it made the room seem twice as big! (We did a NYC at night background.)

• Alexandra
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I would rotate the bed to create a wall-to-wall bed, something like this:

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/05/5c/d2/b7/citizenm-hotel-amsterdam.jpg

It may even open up enough space for a small desk.

• Alexandra
    8 years ago

Harwichport Interior · More Info
    Traditional Bedroom · More Info

Woollahra Cottage · More Info

• Maureen
    8 years ago

I would install a closet organizer and remove the door, so the space the door took up is now free to place a bed and two tall, narrow Ikea cupboards on either side. Above your bed, you would also add a shelf for extra storage. The bed in video is large, but use the same idea (with drawers) but in a single. Use light colors so room also feels larger.

• astonmartina
    8 years ago

Believe it or not, I'd actually drop the ceiling by a foot or two. You'd be amazed how much bigger a room looks when the proportions are corrected. I did this with a long corridor which was only 32" wide, but quite tall and because the ceiling didn't recede quite so far, it made the corridor feel wider and less like being in a canyon fissure.

• Alexandra
    8 years ago

As astonmartina mentioned, lower ceiling will make the room appear wider. Painting the ceiling a dark color will make the ceiling appear less tall as well.

• liz29
    8 years ago
    Hi I agree with a lot of the suggestions I would center the bed on the window raise it up and use roll out plastic containers for storage. I would also get a low head board the bed should be dressed with minimal bedding and pillows I would suggest a blackout shade and a panel drape for the window. For more storage I would use reverse u shape shelving around the window and for lighting wall mounted lighting on either side of the bed. I would also get a bench at the bottom of the bed and I think light gray paint would really work in your room. Hope this helps when you finish the re-do please post some photos.
    PS don't forget to secure all shelving to the walls !
  • PRO
    Interior Synergy
    8 years ago

Hi,

I don't think there is room to access storage in the bed unless you get the Ikea Bed that lifts up. As far as the bed goes, I would centre it under the window. Do not get a bed with a foot board, keeping the space open on the end will enable you to actually sit on the end of the bed. I would suggest an upholstered head board. As for window treatments I would go as high as the ceiling and as wide as the room. I would ground the space by adding a large area rug. I would put two mirrors side by side on the wall you see when you enter, and on the other wall I would put a large art piece that will be reflected in the mirrors. I would use a monochromatic colour scheme in shades of grey, white, with hints of black (mirror frames, drapery rod). If you plan on staying a long time I would invest in a simple inexpensive closet organizing system. There really is no room for other furniture pieces, and even shelves on the wall will get in the way of getting in and out of bed. I would consider two small shelves on either side of the bed to act as night stands, with wall sconce lighting above them.

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

Temahome Aurora Night Stand, Pure-White · More Info

Temptation White 1-Drawer Round Nightstand · More Info

I could not see where you let us know what size bed do you have? Check Ikea they have so many good ideas for storage, even under the bed storage. Go very light color & keep it all one color for serenity. Almost white teal is very bright & cheery.

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

Ikea has some curtains that are white meshy lace for 3.99 a pair. If you bought two pairs & put them on a rod really full it would bring in so much light into the room. They can be cut off with scissors . (cut carefully).

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

Take absolutely everything out of the room that you do not need. Place the bed sideways If you can as shown by another poster. Place the mirror across from the window to bring in more light. If you are able to install wall lamps for the bed it would save you so much space.

• Amanda Roderick
    8 years ago
    Some people mentioned the loft bed idea, which might block the window a bit, but would definitely give you much more space. It's a little harder to make the bed though :)
  • meredithfnehmer
    8 years ago

It is all about organization and lush touches.

Let me explain, you do not need to go expensive to have nicer finishes, like a broader curtain rod made out of wood, a creamy paint color, beautiful silky curtains in a pretty color. Look at jc penny, luxury looking bed linens, look at home goods, michaels, steinmart, etc.

It's the elements of texture and color I'm a room, not the price tag.

• sheilaskb
    8 years ago

Is there any way you could borrow 30 inches from the next room, on the side where your door hinges are, and make that a closet with sliding doors? Then, perhaps you could put a twin bed with the length against the opposite wall so that the foot of the bed would be across from your current closet door. As an alternative, since you have a high ceiling, could someone possibly build a loft for you so that you could use it for storage? I would not recommend sleeping up there due to safety concerns, but you would gain 50 percent more floor space for storage.

• J Petempich
    8 years ago

If you didn't mind sleeping in a loft, I would put one above the door and closet as you first walk into the room. It would be seven feet long and take up the entire width. I would then take the door off the closet in my loft next to my mattress and put a couple of shelves in it. Below a ladder would take up some room but even with the doors opening into the room you would have a 7x7 area for a highboy dresser and maybe even small chair.

• Sharon
    8 years ago

You can buy beds that have pull out drawers below the mattress. That would solve your chest of drawer needs. But you can't put anything around the bed that would hinder the drawers opening. You could also add a box or shelf screwed to the wall as bedside tables (that wouldn't hinder any drawers from opening). Take the closet door out and put in a curtain. Take out the floor mirror. If you need a full length mirror, add it to the back of the door.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

ok, i think we have missed the obvious question here, is the room for you or the puppy? obviously then the pup's needs would be totally different, darker bedding room for the water and food bowl, comfy chair for you to sit in and love them. you get the idea. lol

• Carol Williamson
    8 years ago

utilize height, wall spaces, anchor floor space with round rug placed under one corner of bed. try to have bed with legs rather than base, too heavy.use all that space above your head, hang lighting over side tables attached to walls or sconces. open up all that storage above cupboards, open boxed or floating shelves, led lit,drws eye upwards, go for curvy, circular cushions, no geometric patterns , only emphasizes cubiness. horizontal lines on walls can help or amber wash paint effect, darkest to light at ceiling height, use mirrors to trick u have more windows.sliding barn door opening into entry hall gives lots more space.

• Carol Williamson
    8 years ago

whole wall of shelving/ drawers instead of closet, sliding library ladder gives access to all

• Jen Starr
    8 years ago
    I would put in a very high with area underneath for the couch and just kind of like a grown-up feel of the children's room I would make sure that it was all white modern and had an adult look to it more like a New York loft bedroom feel
  • Carol Williamson
    8 years ago

if u gonna keep doors, search kitchen design, over door, back of door storage racks/hooks can double your storage solutions

• MarleneM
    8 years ago
    Here is picture of a closet, although probably not many of us have one this large, but I wanted to show you the shelving over the door, and the full length mirror is a jewelry armoire.
    http://houzz.com/photos/6885197
  • MarleneM
    8 years ago
    And this photo shows a closet similar to yours, and it's set up to store many items in an organized way.
    http://houzz.com/photos/8744441
  • Noelle Lannon
    8 years ago

To the people saying rotate the bed--did you look at the photos? It looks like the bed will not fit in the room rotated. This person is looking for real solutions. I agree with the people saying to center the bed and try floating night stands. Also think adding shelving (to the walls and under-bed storage) and getting everything off the floor is a good idea. Maybe a ceiling fan to replace the current fan. And wall mounted mirror. And some bright new bedding for kitty to curl up on! :)

• PRO
    Interior Synergy
    8 years ago

Here is a picture of what I proposed. I still do not agree with drawers under the bed. There is not enough room to open them. You might only have room for very small end table, or as I said previously, you might have to mount something on the wall. Where the metal flower art is, I would put two square mirrors, or one large rectangular.

• PRO
    Interior Synergy
    8 years ago

Also, if you want to move around the room at the end of the bed, there will not be space for additional shelves and closets. Although I think MarleneM post is great, it won't work. You need to be able to open and close your door.

I layed our your room in 3 Dream and this is what it will look like.

• Jenny Wesner
    8 years ago

If the bed will fit in the space, I'd go wall to wall with it sideways right under the window with pillows all along. You could easily do open shelving up the wall, framing the window. I'd go really minimalistic on the window covering, like blinds or just an airy, light sheer. This leaves you with the rest of the space to use and opens up the floor - which I think always makes the room feel bigger. I'd use the small black shelf thingy as a nightstand with a lamp and replace the cloth "baskets" with wicker ones. Maybe paint it white or a fun color. Or, just use the ladder shelf next to the bed for a nightstand. You can always get creative with little decor things and a small lamp.

And definitely replace the bedding, probably using an oversized quilt or an actual bedspread that would reach to the floor. You can use the space under the bed for plastic storage, and elevating it with those "lifters" (little box-like things) would help with storage as long as your bed linens cover it somehow..

A (very!) small desk would fit on the wall with the door.

One last fun idea - my daughter insisted we keep the big, over the sink mirror when we re-did our bathroom. It's huge! I'd find a used one (try the Habitat for Humanity ReStore or any thrift store, even a friend who's remodeling a bathroom), glue some trim around the edges for a frame, and just stand it there on the floor against the wall that corners the closet. Gives the room a bigger feel, too. Add some wall art everywhere else in the room and you're done.

Hope this helps! Virtually every other suggestion above is a good one - it just depends on your style and who's going to be using the bedroom. Good luck!

• MarleneM
    8 years ago
    With your existing bed, this is what I was inspired by when I mentioned a bench and storage at foot of bed. Sorry I never attached picture before, but could only attach one pic.

http://houzz.com/photos/17461967

Right now you have room for your bed, and there is a small black storage cabinet at the foot of it. If this was a bench with storage, it would serve double duty as seating and storage. I recently bought a new bed myself, and found there are a few that are making underbed storage where the drawers come out from the foot of the bed, rather than the sides.
  • designgirl178
    8 years ago

Is this a guest room or your main bedroom? If its a guest room I would get a daybed with or without a popup unit; or a futon and put a shelf on the bed for alarm clock etc then have sconce lights for reading. If you use a single bed you could add storage underneath. Good luck.

• PRO
    Interior Synergy
    8 years ago

I did up another plan with the bed rotated. The size of the bed is double 52 x 80. This does make more room for a night stand. I floated some shelves above it. I also suggest replacing the closet door with a curtain. This allows space for a small cabinet. I changed the window treatment to a roman shade. There is room for a full length mirror on the wall near the door beside the night stand.

• PRO
    Interior Synergy
    8 years ago

Looks like the picture got cut off.

• Janis Miller
    8 years ago

To utilize the entire 37-inch depth of the closet, you should install two rods for hanging clothes. Hang one rod 9 inches from the back wall of the closet and the other 10 inches from the front, leaving 18 inches between the rods. Hang your in-season clothes on the front rod and store your out-of-seasons clothes on the back. If 18-inch hangers seem too big, switch to 15-inch ones. You should also extend the shelf to reach past the front rod.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

ok, I am very confused now, I relooked and cannot find where you said it is a double bed. But I would say it is larger than that. at 50" = 4'2", you should have 34" left, is it my eyes? I don't see almost 3 foot left. But if the room is 7' then you should be able to put the bed along the back wall. The reason you can't have a single or day bed is? That would be the single largest contributor to your space. Then all these lovely ideas would really do you some good.

• PRO
    Interior Synergy
    8 years ago

Maybe we could find out how big the bed actually is.

Measurements for the window would also be helpful.

• Alexandra
    8 years ago

Has OP even commented?

• kathinks
    8 years ago
    For what its worth...I would give up about a foot of space at the foot of the bed by adding a bookshelf setup around the window. That would give you a headboard - i live on a budget so I would buy or find a skinny tall bookshelf for each side of the window and maybe screw a foam and fabric covered -staple-gunned - headboard to span the width to give a sense of "on purpose". That would give space for books, coziness, art, etc on the bookshelves. (be sure to angle or fix your bookshelves for safety)

I would add hinges to the shelves behind the pillows so I could use the space for extra linens, christmas ornaments or whatever isn't needed often.

I would use clip on shelf lamps or screw lamps into the sides of the book case for bedside lamps. I would also screw in an extension cord with three prong spots on the bookshelf under the hinged lids so I could easily charge phones, etc.

I use my computer in my bed, so I would also have a clean cutting board which is my lapdesk hanging or tucked handily so my desk would be easy to put away and pull out.

I would either center my bed or leave it depending on my singleness and the effect of the long headboard bookshelf.

In my closet, I would put a bureau in my closet with mirror or blouses above.
    ...and so forth
  • magilojoh
    8 years ago

If you are interested in something more creative check out http://resourcefurniture.com/ they specialize in furniture that saves space and converts in the space you have. Regardless of what you decide it's a fun site to check out.

• lilyanddaisy
    8 years ago
    I Like the latest Lori Lovett floor plan best! Along with storage ideas under the bed, etc.
    But one thought, Lori: why not flip the head of the bed and have the bedside table be a desk as well? Or even a larger chest of drawers/bedside table combo.
    Maybe I missed something in your layout.
  • PRO
    Interior Synergy
    8 years ago

I thought about that, and if you put the bed on the other wall it means losing the opportunity to put a small night stand AND and a small chest of drawers. With the bed the way I have it, it makes sense to have the small night table (with storage), but sill leaves room for a larger (but still small) chest of drawers on the other side, again, only if the door to the closet is removed and replaced with a curtain.

• PRO
    Interior Synergy
    8 years ago

to kathinks There is no room to do what you suggested. It is a good idea, but there is hardly enough room for a bed, and the bedroom door needs be able to open. I did lay this all out on a software program called 3 Dream. There is not much room for very much. If the bed was centered under the window, there is only MAYBE 12 inches on each side. Still wondering what the size of the bed is.

Maximizing the the closet with organizers would help the space.

• PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    8 years ago
    I would find maximum bed risers or a new frame with storage underneath. I know white may sound boring, but this is a room that requires white on white on white, maybe two this pillows in very light ocean misty green. I would consider at least on wall mounted full length mirror. And another large wall mirror. Remove the shelving unit and replace with a small bedside or floating table.
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

Ok, has anyone thought maybe Houzz is just randomly posting to keep us occupied? It is almost a week and we have heard nothing from kbwkm, the original poster. What a tragic waste of all these wonderful ideas and brain power. lol

• CAS
    8 years ago

I was thinking the same thing, northgehl. Why would someone ask for help and then not one single hint of acknowledgment of any kind?

• kbkwm
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your amazing ideas...the bed is a queen and I won't be replacing it. This is used as my bedroom and since i will only be living here another year I don't plan on doing anything too drastic. If I were to rotate the bed then the space ends up looking just like one giant bed. I plan on taking the advice to center the bed, add floating nightstands and either pendant lighting or wall sconces. I love love love the idea of doing taller and wider drapes to anchor the bed. I also plan on removing the closet door to free up floor space and removing the mirror. I am still unsure about putting something at the end of the bed and I might wait until redoing the closet organization to see if I need the storage. Thank you again for all of your advice and insight!
  • kbkwm
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Also sorry for not responding earlier but I didn't realize I could, I thought by commenting I would be creating a brand new thread
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

sounds great kbkwm!

• OldGrayMare
    8 years ago
    Murphy beds come in double/queen sized that pull down in a horizontal mode. That would solve your problem.