Software
Houzz Logo Print
danielleregan85

What should I put on this wall in my kitchen?

11 years ago

I'm not sure what to put on the wall behind my kitchen table. This is an accent wall. Should I wallpaper, or would it be to busy with the chairs? i was thinking of doing a large long mirror. Thoughts?

Comments (17)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I think a set of prints might be interesting and select shades that compliment your greys/blues. With the chairs so close to the wall, I would be afraid of using wallpaper and having it get scuffed or torn.

    Willowgrove Kitchen · More Info

    Light Blue And Yellow Large Art Arrangement Set of 4 Prints, 14x14 · More Info

    Light Blue Grey Large Wall Art Set of Prints • Abstract Art · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    What about painting a large scale stripe in a soothing blue? Similar in design\pattern scale to the one below.
  • 11 years ago

    I agree with Maureen 100%!

  • 11 years ago

    It would not be too busy for the chairs. Miranda's idea above is another nice solution.

    Small mirrors could be all right, but are less preferable - they must be hung very securely to keep them safe from diners, and cleaned often to keep kitchen grease from building up. A large mirror placed so closely to diners is even less fun.

  • 11 years ago

    Do I see purple drapes reflected in the mirror? Try these stacked vertically on the end wall. Then paint your unadorned accent wall in the same purple.


    Paragon Abstract Contemporary Dream of Hope I Wall Art 7066 · More Info


    Paragon Abstract Contemporary Dream of Hope II Wall Art 7067 · More Info


  • 11 years ago
    The drapes were purple but I changed them to white!
  • 11 years ago

    You should provide up to date info for the best input.


  • 11 years ago

    @deco, Your sharp eyes, I am sure, caught the reflection of purple drapes which I am sure the OP didn't even realize showed.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Definitely a wallpaper or a large art grouping. The mirror looks great and your kitchen looks fab!

  • 11 years ago

    wow! a great space! i'd LOVE to see you add more of the blue from the vase...it looks so pretty with all the silvertones and neutrals. consider painting some wide horizontal stripes in either the same color as the walls, but a shinier finish OR in one shade deeper or lighter from the same color strip. the effect will be subtle...then add a large piece of horizontally aligned wall art behind the table....something with some blue in it....no mirror. no one wants to watch themselves eating. ;) check out art.com.....an abstract landscape could be lovely. i would also love to see a few more touches of subtle color in the kitchen side too.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Wallpaper or a large grouping of frames can really turn the accent wall into a room feature. An alternative to wall paper that might scuff is a wallcovering. They're more durable and are removable (and repositionable) if you want to change the look around every few years. Let us know what colours or genre you're looking for and we have our graphic designers put it into your room so you can see what it would look like!

    Splendex fabric art with sleek brushed aluminum frame · More Info


    Splendex fabric art with sleek brushed aluminum frame · More Info



    Splendex fabric art with sleek brushed aluminum frame · More Info


  • 11 years ago
    Try a huge wall clock, maybe 42" diameter. There are lots of them available in mail order catalogs. Uttermost (a wholesale vendor hat is designer friendly) has a good one for about $200.
  • 11 years ago

    I'd have to advise you steer clear of the big battery op clocks. Not really decor - just hype from the big box stores where non-designers shop to fill their walls. If it doesn't wind and chime the hour, I don't think it is worth the money. Get your kids to paint some art for you instead- it will have more meaning and be more artsy.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I love the idea of adding a big mirror on the wall to make the space look larger! Or even a few mirrors so it doesn't look so "typical". An accent color for the frames could be something fun to think about.


  • 10 years ago
    Solved the problem! Found this perfect long photo for the kitchen
  • 10 years ago
    I think a grouping of pictures or art would be a better choice..unfortunately the table and the art are competing against each other because they are similar in size and run in the same direction...great room but I would keep looking..maybe a set of four glass mounted pieces of art that allow the paint color to show through..