Software
Houzz Logo Print
billgoff307

Hosta 'Komodo Dragon'

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

This is the 5th year for hosta 'Komodo Dragon' in my Pittsburgh garden. As you can see, it is planted in a bed with other hostas. When planting this bed, I added lots of organic material to the soil. I give this big guy abundant water. As far as I can tell from this yardstick, it is about 5-6 feet wide. Anyone have pics of their Komodo?

Comments (13)

  • 11 years ago

    impressive...

    since you showed me yours.. i will show you what mine used to be .. now lets not tell the spouses ... lol .....ken


  • 11 years ago

    That is really funny Ken! Yours is impressive too…LOL!


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Pic from May 5. It's bigger now.

    Kathy

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Ken, isn't the term glaucous used by hosta people to indicate that blue/green thing that so many hostas have? Sometimes, Komodo has even a slate gray color, depending on the clouds, sun and time of day.

  • 11 years ago

    glaucous.. is a waxy coating on a leaf .... of many many different plants ... e.g. a blue spruce is green underneath the wax ...

    the wax .. reflects the sky/clouds/ambient light ... so changes hour by hour ... as you note .. [good observational skills] ...

    on the color wheel ... pink is opposite blue ... sooooo .. when the sky turns pink near sunset ... if you take pix of blues.. the pic will be outta this world ... look at the one in my pic.. top right ... they would be called.. complimentary colors ... one intensifying the other ...

    you can catch this moment in time.. by taking an adult beverage or two..and your lawn chair out there.. and waiting.. happily i might add .. lol .. until the perfect moment ....

    and if done to perfection ... you might only get a few shots.. before the flash starts going off.. and then you are done for.. and have to repeat it all the next day .. if you are not too hung over ...

    the real beauty of digital ... is. you can take 100 pix of it ... and throw away 99 of them.. to get the perfect one ..

    ken


  • 11 years ago

    Way to get in there Kathy! Y'all all have mighty impressive Dragons. :)

  • 11 years ago

    Beautiful photos. Love this hosta and need to add it to the garden.


  • 11 years ago

    Gotta get one.

  • 11 years ago

    Now I see I should have ordered that Komodo dragon I was coveting, less than two hours ago! :) I'm trying to not buy new ones until I split the 5 million that are overcrowding my beds.

  • 11 years ago

    Go ahead and get it Liz. It will take a good 4 or 5 years to reach this size above in the photo.

  • 11 years ago

    I am (im)patiently waiting for mine to get that large. Lovely specimens above.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    WOW great hosta. Considered it but didn't think I had the room.

    Think of the size of the spinout bag I would need for that.