Software
Houzz Logo Print
iluvryguy

Need help with fireplace mantle height on new home.

11 years ago

Our builder has started framing our fireplace and I need to tell him the mantle height asap before he does any more work on it. It is going in our great room, and there will be NO TV in that room, and our great room is about 15 1/2 feet wide by almost 19 feet deep. There are no windows on either side of the fireplace (which is gas). Our ceiling is a vaulted ceiling, with the highest point over the center of the fireplace, which will be 10' high, sloping to 8' on each side of the room. I have found some inspiration from a neighbor's fireplace, and her mantle is about 5 1/2' high, but her room is larger (like maybe 25' wide and 20' deep, and her entire ceiling is 10' high (flat not vaulted). I like that her mantle is quite high, it looks really great, but wondered if that would be too high for my room? I wonder if I should tell my builder we want the fireplace raised a little off the floor, with some tile below and above so we can get the mantle the height we want it.

Comment (1)