Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferruth

Non-spreading comfrey variety

jenniferruth
8 years ago
Could you please tell us the Latin and cultivar names of the non-spreading comfrey? I've been reading such good things about it, but I don't want to get the wrong kind. Also, is it something I can find seeds for, or will I need to order a plant? Thank you so much! And thank you for sharing these great photos, too.
Edible Forest Garden · More Info

Comments (2)

• PRO
    Good Earth Design
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Jennifer. The non-spreading varieties are the Russian Comfrey cultivars Bocking No. 1 through Bocking No.
    21. The Latin name is: Symphytum uplandicum or Symphytum
    uplandica. Bocking #14 is one with the highest nutrient density and is the most widely used and available variety as far as I know.
    Best,
    Aaron

ps: You will need to order or find root cuttings as the seeds of all the Russian (Bocking) varieties are sterile... thus its non spreading nature. However if you have moles or dig near it and accidentally cut the roots, it will grow from even very small pieces of root. So, you only need to buy a few plants and you can make your own cuttings after a season. I have hundreds of plants now and use it instead of compost, just chop and shred the leaves right into the garden beds 4-5 times a year.

jenniferruth thanked Good Earth Design
  • jenniferruth
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so very much, Aaron. I appreciate the names and the how-to. Just what I needed to know.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!