Software
Houzz Logo Print
shelleve

Need help to make my living/dining room feel more rich, vibrant---still feels pretty empty

13 years ago
I love the colours pink and turquoise like the cushions on the couch. I love the shape of the love seat which was a garage sale find. Need advise on fabric to reupholster it, advice on switching out the coffee table for a glass one. Its an open concept room so I am including pics of the dining set adjacent to the living room. Would love a console table for pics but not sure of placement. Help...

Comments (12)

  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for the advice...I agree on putting on the settee and I moved it for now so the ugly fabric is not the first thing ppl see when then enter the house...I will definitely move it once I get it reupholstered
  • 13 years ago
    Katie2012 also like the idea of putting a cocktail table between the two chairs once i move them.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I love the grey chairs and the dining room ones. Could you put the back of the loveseat toward the dining room and place the console table behind that. Than have those grey chairs where the loveseat is now. All the pieces in the room are transitional except for that loveseat. I would venture out and do a less traditional fabric on it. Possibly one with a geometric pattern in neutral tones of grey. Use the colors you mention just as accent pieces that way you can easily change them.
  • 13 years ago
    Settee does not match other items very well. I'd pop a bright aqua tone on the walls or fuschia if that is more your color. Either one will work well with the grey tone chairs. If you like the style of the settee you might consider recovering it in a complimentary fabric.
  • 13 years ago
    if you want a rich feel, lose the white walls to either wall paper or a tone-on-tone stenciled painted finish. Subtle and rich with a hint your favorite colros miight do the trick.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would move 2 of the dining table chairs away from the table . Take the rug from
    Living room and use it under dining , get a patterned rug for living room to pull colors
    together and will add a little excitement to both areas . Transitional pattern would work well. The settee needs to come of the half wall regardless of the fabric , the portion of the room set up is just making it hard to see past. You will do great just keep moving things around till it feels right. You will get it : )
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The morrow behind the 2 beautiful grey chairs I would drop it
    A little lower almost to the top of the chairs and the leather ottoman
    Use as a coffee table use the current coffee table as a sofa table or somewhere else
    With the settee maybe , just can't see entire room (rooms). Good luck!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would put the settee where the chairs are and I would re-upholster it in a microfiber or velvet gray to make those turquoise pillows pop. I would do a color like Benjamin Moore's winter gray, 2117-60 if you want to add a soft purple tint, or silver lining, 2119-60, a gray that has a tint of blue. Put the chairs at the half wall, sort of turned in at each other to make for easy conversation. Good luck with it! Find some simple prints that have a bit of color and put them in black and white poster frames.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Great settee. Do something fun with it. Love this idea of two fabrics used.

    California St. Remodel · More Info
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    The dining room needs color on the walls a rug, curtains, artwork and a table decoration. The wall color and fabric design in California St. Remodel would be lovely. The two grey chairs and the sofa could exchange places. Angle the chairs as suggested. Artwork would work well instead of the mirror and you can use the mirror elsewhere. Consider reupholstering the loveseat in silver grey velvet. At the moment it is the odd one out both style wise and color wise. Before you move the sofa push it to the left and try placing a lamp and a plant or flowers on the "shelf" behind it. A wider wooden shelf on the half way which can accommodate one - or two matching lamps with a low arrangement of flowers between them would help whether or not you decide that the sofa and chairs should be switched.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Room has potential to be fun without going over the top.... I'd really like to see something nice with the settee...definitely paint or stain the wood when you re-upholster. Maybe pink fabric with silver leafed wood. here is a bit of inspiration

    Blue & Pink bedroom · More Info

    Windsor Road Residence - Austin, TX · More Info

    New England Cottage · More Info

    Ana Donohue Interiors · More Info

    Turnberry Tower Arlington, VA · More Info

    Laguna Niguel Remodel · More Info

    Emily Ruddo Design · More Info

    Loft shots · More Info