Software
Houzz Logo Print
asjunkmail

Raspberry leaf edges are turning brown.

11 years ago

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5k8gqb90c7y22gh/AADSOdrlCI2RaiqhuGJHixX3a?dl=0
South Texas

The high resolution images are in my dropbox folder above. In the last few days I've noticed the edges on my raspberry plants are turning brown and it doesn't seem to be improving. I originally suspected I over watered them (.5GPH drip emitters) Or that the leaves were damaged by a more concentrated spray of pyrethrin from a bad company that didn't make it clear that there were also petroleum products mixed in. Natural Pyrethrins only last a day and break down in sunlight.

More recently, I haven't pruned my tomatoes of excess leaves in 2-3 weeks and I've noticed some of the lowest ones dead and brown at the bottom. I know tomatoes are pest and disease magnets, along with being nitrogen pigs and its the last year I put up with such needy plants that need to be constantly staked up, tied, and trimmed for fruit that usually ends up being unsellable from damage or rots on the store shelves before it can be sold.

My main concern now is the tomatoes have infected the soil with Verticillium Wilt. Its not common but occasionally I'll have an eggplant or a pepper be completely healthy one day only to be wilted and dying the next with the neighboring plants completely unaffected. This being over the course of a few years. Tomatoes, squash, potatoes, and raspberries all tend to share the same pests but its never really been an issue with trimming, weeding, etc. I had plans to put three, hundred foot rows of raspberries in after august when the tomatoes die and the weather cools but now its not looking good. It was supposed to be the start of a more permanent business so I could support myself and not be limited to growing cucumbers and other non-sense.

Right now the plants are still alive but they have a fine blue tint on the stems with the leaves browning on the edges. The tint may be part of the new growth, or it may be verticillium wilt but its not apparent enough to decide on. The color can be rubbed off though. All plants have new growth on them that seems unaffected.

The current ones planted are heritage and one lanthem, the plants under the trees are separated from the garden by about 30ft. I need someone more experienced to assist me since this is only my second season at farming and I have little idea as to what it is.

Comments (2)