Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
besheret

What color front door

besheret
8 years ago

I prefer my blue door but it fades into the grey paint. I then painted it yellow and while it seems everyone loves it, I am just not into it. Open to suggestions….

Comments (89)

• Sharon Lane
    8 years ago

It's Perfect! Stay with the Yellow, it's Cheerful!

besheret thanked Sharon Lane
  • laurelweaver
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I love the yellow (and once painted our door a similar buttery-yellow, but unfortunately sold the house before I could enjoy it), but it seems to wilt a bit against the blue. A simple solution might be to paint the trim, or just the inner part of the door jamb, a glossy black. This would bolden the yellow and help it stand its ground against the blue. I'm currently a fan of peacock blue, but I'm about to paint my door with Valspar Red Ochre, 2011-4. I haven't begun it, but here's a shot of my color swatch. Is it red? Is it orange? Is it pink? It's all of the above! :)

besheret thanked laurelweaver
  • Teresa Halley
    8 years ago
    Burgundy or black
    besheret thanked Teresa Halley
  • diyer59
    8 years ago

Sorry, the blue door in the photo doesn't look right with the color of the house. The yellow doesn't look too bad.

besheret thanked diyer59
  • Dee Houser
    8 years ago
    Paint it the same color as the roof.
    besheret thanked Dee Houser
  • Gayle Weinberg_Kalmin
    8 years ago
    I think he yellow is cute...or it could be fire engine red. What it needs more is a larger light OVER the door, shining downward and then I would pump up those flower pots (maybe buy more attractive and coordinating ones) to flank the door and fill them to overflowing with brightly colored flowers of all colors and vines dripping down. It would look great!! The house is adorable.
    besheret thanked Gayle Weinberg_Kalmin
  • 4megarama
    8 years ago

so personal which colors one likes. i'd go black with larger light having some gold tones to match gold on a door knocker. wash the landing and steps. add pots that will be useful for christmas decor. imho....

besheret thanked 4megarama
  • Sylvan (7B)
    8 years ago

Maybe this will help you get an idea of the color family. Personally I like the blue in the lower row. But there isn't anything more personal than our homes and your door should make you happy whenever you come home. I second the idea that your flower pots really should be a matching or complementary color.

besheret thanked Sylvan (7B)
  • PRO
    Gibson Grant Style
    8 years ago
    I love the yellow door very warm and inviting! Perhaps as another individual commented flank the door colored plant pots or colored flowers.
    besheret thanked Gibson Grant Style
  • lostinmissouri
    8 years ago

A black door would add elegance and interest.

besheret thanked lostinmissouri
  • Leto Quarles
    8 years ago
    The yellow does stand out more, but I get the impression that something in the blue family fits your personal style better. I absolutely love the bright contrast of that shiny teal planter on your front stoop! Have you tested a brighter blue or teal color for the door? Another trick to help the door stand out is to paint the surrounding trim (or at least some of the accents) a shiny black or high gloss dark charcoal matching your roof.
    besheret thanked Leto Quarles
  • joanie_97
    8 years ago

Lauraweaver said she painted her door yellow and then sold her house. I read somewhere that if you paint your door yellow it will sell much faster. Go figure.
    I love the yellow you have have it makes the house look happy. The other comments about the flowers in pots are right on.

besheret thanked joanie_97
  • calidesign
    8 years ago

The yellow looks off, and cheap, and the blue is too close to the siding color. I would use a deep eggplant, almost black, for contrast.

besheret thanked calidesign
  • Cheryl
    8 years ago

How about a nice copper.

besheret thanked Cheryl
  • jkl210
    8 years ago

I recently remodeled my 50's ranch, outside and in! Went from a dark brown shingles (blah) and faded pink door (ugh) to a light grey vinyl siding with a bright sunshine yellow door! I smile every time I drive up to my home, and even on cloudy/rainy days I have sunshine. I think that the yellow color you posted was too pale with the darker grey, and a brighter color would give it pizzazz. I have a topiary tree on each side with recessed lighting in the roof over the steps. Doesn't need pots filled with color and the topiary trees,make it look classical. Don't be concerned about fading. A good paint won't do that.

besheret thanked jkl210
  • Bernadette Staal
    8 years ago

If you like the blue door then I would select a much darker blue - you have a blue plant pot on your door step and that doesn't fade into it's back ground so something like that or perhaps a really rich deep blue. Based on your pictures I am not a fan of the Yellow either. Go with the colour you love but make it richer.

besheret thanked Bernadette Staal
  • merrigay
    8 years ago

Love the yellow door. I agree get matching pots on either side of the door with boxwood or whatever shrub/flower you like. Very pretty home. Maybe if you put a wreath or other door decor incorporating lots of blue and touches of yellow and other colors you like, it would help you like the yellow more. I've had just about every color of door but I'm over the red and blue doors--not that they aren't pretty--just that they seem so plentiful. I don't see many yellow ones and it's a refreshing change.

besheret thanked merrigay
  • Connie Bellner
    8 years ago

Red, definitely red.

besheret thanked Connie Bellner
  • Laurie
    8 years ago

I think your yellow door looks really pretty. Another option is red. Here's a picture of my house. The front door is painted Benjamin Moore's Sun Dried Tomato.

besheret thanked Laurie
  • User
    8 years ago

I love your experimentation! Here's to playing with color! Speaking as someone who can really dither when it comes to color, though, I would try living with it for awhile longer and as people have mentioned, pump up the lighting and the flower pots. Add a wreath.

It's funny how front entries get lopsided - mailbox, light, etc. all end up on right. I think that's highlighting the color in an awkward way.

If you still don't like the yellow, here are a few suggestions:
    (1) deepen the yellow
    (2) take a closer look at coordinating with your roof
    (3) try purple

I live in an old New England town and couldn't take my red doors anymore. Love purple but couldn't go too bold - it would have looked odd. CSP-530 Flowerbox from Ben Moore did the trick. Still not sure but going with it for now.

Bee

P.S. The interior floor of the side porch is Ben Moore Hale Navy HC-154

besheret thanked User
  • PRO
    Mint Design and Development LLC
    8 years ago
    red is certainly a good alternative, but take a look at very dark blue/black. it adjusts black but next to black you can detect the blue. the blue softens it as pure black it's quite harsh
    besheret thanked Mint Design and Development LLC
  • shelral
    8 years ago

I think the yellow is pleasant. Note though that the suggestions of copper and red are also good options. I guess at the end of the day it is what makes you happy to come home and open your front door :-)

besheret thanked shelral
  • suezbell
    8 years ago

Wood w/red ish stain that leaves the grain showing would look good.

If you prefer paint, dark red would be my first choice; black my second or, if you want unusual, a very pale pink. Whatever color paint you choose, use that same color on some other exterior decoration -- some decoration above the door and/or flower boxes on each side of the door.

besheret thanked suezbell
  • Marilyn Medici
    8 years ago

Since you have a clear storm door, I would consider a decorative stained carved-wood door. It would be striking on your house, and the storm door would protect it from the elements. A rich, medium wood shade would be gorgeous!

besheret thanked Marilyn Medici
  • mudder m
    8 years ago

I think your house would look striking with a dark, charcoal grey door, or black. I don't normally go for black, but think it would look sharp on your house.

besheret thanked mudder m
  • sweetkeight
    8 years ago

yellow door looks good to me, but a little timid.. maybe instead try LIME!! I think it would be great :)

• debmv
    8 years ago

I personally love the yellow door, I'm not a fan of a black door because it reminds me of an abyss with a doorknob...just my opinion. I have BM Pomegranate on my front door with very dark gray siding, white cladding and a black roof. I get tons of compliments.

besheret thanked debmv
  • willy4
    8 years ago
    What did you decide?
    besheret thanked willy4
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago

The door is a good color. But, that front step fascia board would look great painted a Delorean Gray.

besheret thanked User
  • sissyskitchen
    8 years ago

What about cobalt blue, same color as planter - bright pink or red flowers in planter with something green and trailing (ivy).

besheret thanked sissyskitchen
  • retirn
    8 years ago

Hi Besheret, I agree with the others who have suggested using red, however I think you should paint it the shiniest, brightest cherry red that you can find! I also think you should use a very glossy paint to give the door a lot of shine. Believe it or not, it will look faaantastic! I wish that I was as talented as the other posters on this site who are able to insert an image of a door showing their suggested colour, I would love you to see how nice a bright red door would look on your house! Good Luck with whatever colour you decide to use.

besheret thanked retirn
  • vick520
    8 years ago

I'd try the sea form green that's really popular right now. nice compliment to the gray without being in the more usually used, red family.

besheret thanked vick520
  • happyleg
    8 years ago

Tell us what's your choice! Please post pic when done.

• PRO
    Cocoweb
    8 years ago

The blue door is a good color and doesn't fade too much as you have the white trim. But the yellow is great! Stands out and compliments the gray.

besheret thanked Cocoweb
  • kimberlysc
    8 years ago
    Not red! Too safe, yesterday's color, and overdone. Sorry houzzers! Just my opinion. Love the yellow you just need to finish the concept with porch decor. I do think the best color would be turquoise. Bm Woodlawn blue would be gorgeous, or sw rainwashed.
    besheret thanked kimberlysc
  • kimberlysc
    8 years ago
    Example:
  • kimberlysc
    8 years ago
    Photo is BM wythe blue.
  • PRO
    HOuseMOuse
    8 years ago

Thankyou Kathiebartel for your like………I appreciate it!

HOuse MOuse

besheret thanked HOuseMOuse
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Take a picture of your favorite thing. Have it printed. And take it to your local Ben Moore store to have them tint the Floor & Patio primer to your liking.

• PRO
    Judd Builders
    8 years ago

Black or red!

• Anna Rhees
    8 years ago

I personally like the yellow too =) But if you prefer the quieter blue, maybe a deep charcoal? Or (as many others have suggested) black is sharp too. Either would look great with your roof!

• Tammy Lawhorn
    8 years ago
    I think Sherwin Williams color"blue bell". Would look awesome
    With your house!!!
  • katinparadise
    8 years ago

I think BM Dark Salmon would be very pretty against your gray blue exterior.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/darksalmon

• bunnyllg
    8 years ago
    This is my sunflower color up close. You have gotten so many great suggestions because your house color is great to work with. I do agree, that besides the front door color topiaries or flowers in black metal planters on each side of the door and larger and more period lanterns would make your house even more amazing!
  • PRO
    The Mattress & Sleep Company
    8 years ago

What about a light lavender?

• PRO
    The Mattress & Sleep Company
    8 years ago

Not too crazy, but it will stand out a bit more than the blue door.

• goodewyfe
    8 years ago

I would use a dark red.

• susancamp
    8 years ago
    Check out the color called, Ink. I believe it's Duron. Very dark blue/black. And I would use matching large pots on either side of door with Iris, white n red lantana and ivy.
  • sharleeg
    8 years ago

Yellow is good, but that particular shade you chose is not not deep enough for the shingle color. Repaint it a much more rich and vibrant yellow, with a tad more gold and you will see a huge difference.Example- see Sherwin Williams SW 6683 BEE. Best of luck!

• anne Brook
    8 years ago

RED