Software
Houzz Logo Print
shanna_thrivelife

Help with Kitchen & eating area

11 years ago

I need help to brighten up and soften this area. Can't replace the black countertops, white cupboards, lights, or flooring, but I was hoping for advice of what to do for wall and window treatments.
This picture came out *reeeally* orange, but the color is more of a dusty butternut squash, which we have throughout the house. I don't want to repaint all of it.
Thinking of incorporating a hay color somehow....
Need help figuring out:
1. Vaulted ceilings, so I was toying with the idea of beadboard or wallpaper 2/3 of the way up?? And use the same pattern/style around the small island and replacing the white tiled backsplash? (we do most of our food prep/cooking on the island, so the backsplash doesn't get "splashed" too much)
2. Also thinking of decorative vertical drapes with rubbed oil bronze rods....
Any tips or links are appreciated :)


Comments (30)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I don't think your architecture lends itself to beadboard or paper. Curtains in the dining area would look great in place of the valances. In the kitchen light filtering shades or roman shades would look good.

  • 11 years ago

    Room is modern so no beadboard. I'd do roman shades not verticals. If you use ORB rod can you change knobs/handles on cabinets and faucet>

  • 11 years ago

    I agree with no beadboard or paper for this style home. It's lovely, BTW. I also like roman shades for the whole area, but whether you do curtains or shades, you could bring in a pattern...something somewhat contemporary. (No country styles or chintz florals, for example). Nothing too overpowering. The pattern might compensate for the feeling that you need to do something with the backsplash and island.

  • 11 years ago

    I would put a painting/artwork above the window on the left, add a couple of tall plants to the corners, and change the upholstery on the chairs to a brighter color.


  • 11 years ago

    I agree with the above, change the upholstery on the dining chairs, change the island stools to something lighter, add drapes/roman shades, add an area rug under the table to soften/ground the space. Without changing the cabinets and such, layering in textiles is your only option, I suggest neutral colours since your wall colour is strong.

    UP05 · More Info


    Coastal chic · More Info


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I would suggest putting beadboard on the back of the island to give that area some interest rather than just the plain wall. You could even just add some molding to line the bottom so that it breaks up where the floor and cabinets meet. Or do both! However, I don't think the walls need any beadboard or wall paper because of the large windows taking up majority of the wall space. Rods and curtains mounted higher than the window will work really well. Go with a light sheer color to keep it bright in the space. The angled window- I think you can just take off the valance and it will be just fine or replace with a subtle color/slight patterned one. This new Daltile Crystal Shores backsplash would go really well with the white cabinets you have. Sherwin Williams Sea Salt paint. Pottery Barn Linen Sheer Drape. This will definitely soften the space. Hope this helps! See below for pictures!

  • PRO
  • PRO
  • 11 years ago

    No beadboard here, please. I'd suggest you paint the island in a soft green. You'll want to go back to your paint store and find their suggestion for a green to work with your butternut paint. The cornices are much too formal. Cordless roman shades, even fabric ones, would be my choice. Pick a new glass tile backsplash with hints of your color palette. New upholstery is a must. If you add a rug under the table make sure it is 4' larger than the table top. If that size makes it run into walls, you don't need it. Upgrade the hardware on your cabinets to something large and more contemporary to go with the style of the home.


  • 11 years ago

    I agree with Karen - a different wall color is the way to go and nix on any beadboard as this wouldn't fit your style. While I do love black, this room has too much of it dark furniture, dark floor and dark countertops. The colors here are too stark. I would paint the chairs and redo the chairs with a complimentary to your wall color type of pattern fabric. Good Luck.

  • 11 years ago

    My suggestion is white......a nice shade of warm white on the walls. Take down the valences on the windows, eliminate the decorations on top of the cabinets, and maybe a simpler light over your dining table. A clean scandinavian look would really look great to lighten and soften your space.

  • 11 years ago
    Large area rug under dining table would do wonders. Definitely remove the 'plant' on top of the cabinet. No bead board. Paint the island; backsplash is fine. Sheer drape panels would soften the look. Counter stools are too 'heavy' for the space. Also agree with poster who mentioned changing out the upholstery on the dining room chairs.
  • 11 years ago

    That's a nice kitchen/dining area. I noticed you don't have any rugs on the floor--that "softens" the hardwood floors.


  • 11 years ago

    Your kitchen is nice it just needs some pop. Try polka dots they are fun. I agree no beadboard.

  • 11 years ago

    Definitely take down the valances.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Regular drapes, hung higher on the wall, are an excellent way to add pattern and texture. There is too much dark brown in the space and that's making the white look even more stark. As others have said, replace the bar stools with something in a lighter color and consider an area rug under the table or (if that's too much fuss) perhaps a table runner. I can't see any of the rest of your home, but just repeat one or more of the tones in your adjacent area. You might also consider adding a touch of metallic somewhere for energy. Don't rule out the idea of a new light fixture; cute ones out there for $200 or less and it can really change the vibe of the room quickly.

  • 11 years ago

    Really nice kitchen! I haven't done any responding before and I am certainly no pro so here goes. Seems to me that there are lots of strong horizontal lines to this room. The valances, chair backs and table tops all add to that feel as well as the strong paint line of wall to ceiling break. Need to bring the eye up a bit. Maybe painting that back wall of the dining area white like the ceiling. Or putting a mostly white large sign or art work above the windows at the back of this area, This might would also add balance with the white cabinets?

  • 11 years ago


  • 11 years ago

    I think the wall color is lovely and warm so I wouldn't touch that. Definitely a rug under the dining table with some pattern. Cover the barstools (even if only the back of the stools leaving the seat leather) with a fabric with colors pulled from the rug. Roman shades on the windows with a nice braided trim at the bottom. Replace the shiny tile backsplash with something a bit more "organic/earthy" to compliment the wall color, maybe a mosaic. I like the merchandising above the upper cabinet but would lose the framed artwork. It's too high to make out what the picture actually is. Maybe add some wide bronze-colored metal wall art above the widest window in the dining room. Beautiful light fixture over the table.

  • 11 years ago

    Maybe a metallic bronze or silver accent to a curtain in the dining area and a funky cowhide rug. They also come with metallic designs. Definitely add some color to chairs and backsplash with the bronze and follow up with new chunkier hardware to give a wow factor. Add some art above the cabinets and glass. Antique glass backsplash (mirrored) would be fantastic. That has a bronze stain thru it and would draw light from the windows.

  • 11 years ago

    If you want curtains go with black iron rods. They'll tie in with the counters.

    Roman shades would look great, too.


  • 11 years ago

    No beadboard or wall paper 2/3 of the way up. That will cut your wall in half and from the picture there isn't much wall space because of windows so it wouldn't work or look right.

  • 11 years ago

    Your kitchen has wonderful bones, but just doesn't feel homey to me. Definitely not a kitchen for bead board or wall paper. The cornices look kind of motel-ish...too tailored for somebody's home. I'd put something softer over the windows. I agree with others who say you should reupholster your chairs in a print...personally, I would paint the bar chairs because the black is just too much. The island seems to be pure white and would coordinate better if it were a softer white.

    The wall color doesn't do much for me. It reminds me that restaurants use color to encourage people to stay longer and spend more OR (like fast food places) use other colors to rush people through to make room for more customers. Your kitchen color feels like you're trying to get people to move along! The room has gorgeous bones, and I'm sure it's a delight to work in.


  • 11 years ago

    Jody-I was looking through a magazine and saw these pictures and thought of this post. I definitely noticed some similarities except the wall color is a bit lighter-more subtle. Notice the striped patterned roman shades, white cabinets, dark counters, and dark furniture. Sorry about the distorted pics, but I took them using an iphone out of a magazine. Hope they help inspire you.


  • 11 years ago

    Either long drapes or woven shades would update the windows. The main issue with the room is the wall color. If you lighten that it will make a huge difference. Just stay with a warm tone to relate to that color that you have elsewhere in the house. Even the same color at a 1/4 strength would be an improvement. As is, it looks too harsh with the black and white.


  • 11 years ago

    I would like to see a lively print on the cornices with a complimentary color on the chairs...something using your wall color, cream and say lime green on the cornices...then coordinating colors into your kitchen on the counter. I feel like your table and all the chairs are very dark in this space. You could even consider replacing the chairs at the table with metal scroll backed chairs and coordinate the seats with the cornices...the same idea for your bar stools...metal scroll backs would be more airy in this space, and I think if you're up to it, lightening the wood finish on the table or replacing it with a more tuscan tone would be really a soft contrast to the dark floors. I love plants, but your artificial one above the cabinets is too bulky and too dark...perhaps a wall mounted plant would add interest to this room and breathe new life into it as well. I like the pics posted above, but that's a lot more country than I think your room is. You have a lovely space to work with...have fun...and HAVE NO FEAR!

  • 11 years ago

    Instead if changing the bar stool upholstery, just make simple slipcovers! A lot easier and you can wash them, too. Dining chairs are no problem to upholster. Definitely look into painting the lower part of your table. I has an interesting shape that gets lost in all the dark. I would definitely remove the plant and candles from your cabinet tops and hang a large sign incorporating the accent colors you decide upon. Absolutely go with valance removal. Good luck, and I hope you post after pictures!

  • 11 years ago
    Definitely change wall colour,add a rug under the table , make sure its large and some roman blinds.if you are still unhappy replace upholstery but don't add plants or anything else to clutter the room.
  • 11 years ago

    Try a new wall paint color, maybe a blue/gray. Add a colorful/coordinated rug under the dining set to warm up the space, and remove or replace the valances as they don't really enhance the space anyway. Consider replacing or upholstering the chairs at the bar area in a color that compliments the rug. Good luck!