sarakk192013

Frog In My Potted Plants, Why?

sarakk192013

I live on the third story, I noticed a frog in one of my potted plants. That was yesterday late morning, he was gone that night and was back in the same pot this morning. It's fine with me, the little guy already has a place in my heart. But, why? Why would this frog climb 3 stories to sit in a potted plant rather than the swampy stream just across the parking lot. I'm worried he/she maybe sick and looking for a safe place, injured, pregnant?? I can't find any information online nor can I find what kind of frog it is.

If anyone knows anything let me know!! :) I'm just super curious and clearly have nothing much better going on these days. Thank you!!

• christine 5b

Have you recently added a new plant or purchased anything that you put out on your balcony? I think frogs are cute, you dont say where your located, but a cool dish of water would help him during the heat of the day, he can soak in it or drink.

sarakk192013 thanked christine 5b
  • sarakk192013

I haven't put out anything new. I'm in florida on the Space Coast. I did put some water out because of the heat, even though he didn't use it ( he didn't move from that spot). Yesterday I was sprinkling him with water and he seemed to enjoy it, he lifted his head towards the water. He hopped away again last night and this morning he was back in his place. I just find it so odd.

Why We Need to Plant Milkweeds In Our Gardens

I love seeing the marvel of the Monarch. I have a number of seeds (25) per packet I am trading for Heirloom Cucumber Seeds or any veggie seeds that are Heirloom. Maybe if you have some Heirloom Fruit seeds will do too. Herbs however I do only Heirloom only. So if you have any of the above and want to trade, don't lose hope. I am trying to get my settings done so I can reach everyone. Please be patient with me. I just joined today. :) I do have many seeds to trade and some to give just for a SASE. Keep the faith.

Why is my Magenta trio star curling?

Hi Lexii Green! If there is one thing that defines calatheas, it is that they are very dramatic. If something is even the slightest bit off, they react in a big way. I would say that your trio star needs even more humidity; they like to sit right by a humidifier or in a sunny window in your bathroom. The folks on the House Plants forum might be able to help you out a little more if you post this there. Good luck! Have a nice weekend, damask_rose_5 : )

Why is my Barberton daisy wilting

Timing would suggest you burned them with the spray.

Why are my monstera deliciosa leaves fading?

Hi Jane Fatima Zaporteza! Sorry for the late response. I think your monstera deliciosa might have gotten sunburned from the direct light in the greenhouse. The leaves wont heal but it will grow new healthy leaves if you keep it in a spot that gets bright light, but not direct light. I hope this helps! Have a nice weekend, damask_rose_5 : )
  • christine 5b

I thought he might have come home from a nursery plant you purchased. It is odd, well enjoy him, he must have found some yummy bugs to eat....

• christineindamascus

I've had a lot of frogs in my potted plants here in Virginia this year. It seems like they moved to the porch when I started tearing out my tired old bushes. i think I kept disturbing their hiding places so they just flex to the porch to get away from my shovel.

Here's a picture of one little fellow trying to come in during a storm!

• Kim

Tree frogs just do that sometimes. Back home in Michigan I saw them clinging to the top of our second story more than a couple times, and there were no any nice houseplants for them there. I would just keep an eye on it, having water out is a nice plan and you can also pick up mealworms from local pet stores, leave them in a little cup or dish near the frog where it can see the movement. It will eventually wander back more than likely. Watch for signs of it not getting enough to eat, if it looks sunken in on its sides it isn't eating enough. If you see that, bring it down to that swamp and find some nice big leafy tree and place it on a sturdy branch and it will be fine. I am a wildlife bio student, doing frog research this summer and worked for a herpetologist for 8 years. If you can get better pictures or tell me roughly were you are (sorry if I missed it) I am sure I can figure out the species if you would like to know.

• camellia1_gw

I have wondered the same thing with our frogs. Every year, I have 2 green frogs or more on my deck. I can't figure out why they would want to climb up the deck to get there. I did notice one night that they like to get on the sliding glass doors at night to catch the bugs that came to the light. Sometimes, they perch on my plants and it would surprise me as they blend in very well. I've only seen them a few times during the day but can count on them at night by the sliding glass door.

During winter, they sometimes are hijackers. Usually, I find them and put them back outside but last year, one got smooshed against the sliding glass door.; so sad. If they would be good frogs and eat all my black ants but they don't. Why? Tell me why...I thought they liked big black ants.

• Kim

The light is likely drawing them in, with the promise of bugs. Generally speaking there are lots of tree frogs but you don't often see them because they are so well camouflaged. As for the ants, my guess there is that for whatever reason your frogs just aren't registering the movement. It could be that the color helps them blend in, or that the movement just isn't showing up to the frog as food. If it was, they would eat them. Hmmm, I suppose not knowing your area etc., could be some association thing there too, but generally speaking a frog will eat anything that moves. Reptiles and amphibians have terrible eye sight.

• Dusty Hamrick

This is my kitchen sink resident. I have taken him outside a couple of times but somehow he gets back in. I figure that that is where he wants to live and I don't mind. I live in North Idaho near Lake Coeur D Alene. I have more frogs living on my deck, same kind, and a large toad that lives under my house. He makes amusing frog sounds. The only thing that I can think of to explain the frog population explosion, is that my cat kills snakes. GOOD KITTY!!!!! Are there any dangers or concerns that I should consider?

• Kim

Dangers with the frogs? Not so much. Hopefully the cat doesn't eat toads, those can be toxic. Garter snakes will eat frogs, the drought may be more the cause from your frog explosion, pushing the animals that are able to migrate into the closest available water bodies more so than the kitty, whose role is probably much smaller. I'd be concerned about the kitty tackling a rattlesnake, but I don't think there are terribly many of them around CDA. I live over in Spokane, I will check to see what type of frog he is when I get a chance.

• cyprinella

It looks like it could be a Cuban tree frog which is invasive in Florida.

• Diana Smith

We live in Missouri in an open area but, I think because we don't spray pesticides, there are always lots of frogs and toads (I fish toads out of the pool all summer) around the house beds. The lovely little tree frogs like to climb up on the windows at night. It's not hard to figure out, since bugs are attracted to the lights inside, it's like a frog buffet. Now that it's getting cold, I'll miss them.

• zzackey

I don't think it's big enough to be a Cuba tree frog. Our county had the first Cuban tree frog last year. They are alot bigger than that one is. They are so hard to ID. They come in so many different colors and patterns.

• phertzog

Just today I found an average sized toad in a peace lily I keep indoors! None of my plants have been outside since last fall, and we haven't had doors or windows open since then either. How in the world...? Could he have been hiding in that plant all winter? And I rarely see a bug in the house. Any ideas?

• slfeder0558

There's a frog in my Celesia and I noticed it this morning. It's still there although it moved deeper into the plant. It's early afternoon and I don't usually see frogs this time of day.

last year

I found this tinny little critter in my hanging plant I brough in from outside. I live on Long Island. Is it a frog or toad? I put it back in my garden to be free.

last year

I found a little tree frog in my seedling pots I have indoors on a heating mat. I was afraid he wouldn’t get enough to eat, so took him outside. A couple days later I found frog #2, and took him outside. Today I discovered #3, and am feeling guilty I might have broken up a family! I have no idea where they came from. I live in NW Washington state. I do leave my door open sometimes.....they all seem to love the heating mat.

• Jessica Cruz

I have the same question too haha

• summersrhythm_z6a

I often see tree frogs on my potted rose trees on the 2nd floor decking. I guess there must be enough bugs for them to catch.

We have frogs all over our neighborhood, I think they’re gray tree frogs but I’m not sure. In the summer, you’ll find at least one while taking the dog for his nightly walk. Last year, a teeny tiny guy (or gal?) started visiting us on our townhouse deck. Without fail, he came to see us every night. I named him Kermit Jr. (very original, I know) and this year, he returned! Well, I choose to believe its the same frog 😂

Last night he hung out in one of my potted plants. This morning when watering them, I found him still there! I’ve never ever seen him or any of these frogs during the day! Is he okay?!

We are in Anne Arundel County, Maryland if this helps. I’ve lived in MD all my life and I‘ve never seen these frogs before moving to this part of MD so if it’s helpful, we’re in the Pasadena, MD area.

The photo including a 1/2 Tsp measuring cup was taken to show how small he is

• Rona Greenfield

I have the same little frogs on my second floor balcony this year and I live in Alexandria, VA! Why are they climbing up on my balcony when they have a moist grassy environment with a sprinkler system at ground level? I never saw these frogs last summer. but now I see one or two daily. The first one I saw I removed and "rehomed" beside a stream. Now I figure they they are choosing to be on my balcony and just let them be, although I do worry that they are stuck there and in jeopardy. Any information readers can provide will be helpful and appreciated.

I just found this post and I am enjoying it so much!! I live in wake Forest North Carolina, and found these cute baby frogs in my hanging ferns out on my front porch. We have had a rather largeblack rat snake in our yard and tree for a few years now, and I saw him last weekend for the first time this season, and then again two days ago. I feel very protective of him I don’t want my neighbors to kill it. But I don’t want him to eat the frogs when they venture away from the ferns because I love them so so much LOL. Sometimes it’s just hard for me to not interfere with nature!

• Kimberly Chatley

How sweet! Do you know what kind of frog it is?

I do not know what kind of frog it is. But it is very dreamy eyed and looking at me so lovingly Lol! Today when I went to check on him, there was a baby the size of a dime, no exaggeration. By the time I got my phone for a picture, the little baby had burrowed deep into the plant. So adorable, I can’t even stand myself right now LOL

Several weeks ago I saw this little sweetie honkered down on my concrete bunny statue. Then this morning I was watering plants on my second floor deck and saw this little one inside a plant container. Can't figure how he got to second floor. Didn't think toads climbed up this far. It's a mystery but I'm loving them. I recently ordered two toad houses and put them where I had seen toads this season.

• summersrhythm_z6a

They can climb. I saw one climbing up.

I didn’t know there was such a thing as a toad house! Thanks for mentioning that, I am going to check that out and buy some!

• Kelly McFadden

I have the same issues. This frog I discovered four days ago, watered my plant as usual, was gone for couple of days and back this morning.

First time I went out to drink my coffee and looked to my right and it was so buried in my plant I thought it was a snake. Lol. With my investigation I realized it was a frog.

But not sure why it's here? Any help?

I either need to move my plant or him/Her for my plant is losing dirt.

Thoughts?

Thank

• Courtz Lee

Oh my gosh!! So glad I found this feed! I am having the same issue!!!!! Everyday I come out on my 3rd floor patio and dark black frogs/toads are in my patio!!! Why on earth do they come all the way up here???? I do have tons of potted plants but I usually find them hiding behind my pillows on my chairs. I live in Minnesota. I am not a frog/toad fan so I don’t want to hurt them but I also don’t want them on my patio. ughhh why on earth are they on MY patio???

• Unee P

I am so happy that someone else is also facing the similar situation. I live in San Francisco, CA and I am seeing this frog on my 2nd floor patio for past months. My neighbor living below me also have a patio with plants why does it skip that patio and jumps to my patio on 2nd floor. I am happy to have them visit my plants but I am scared of them laying eggs and then the population just explodes. Any thoughts to prevent them or how to tell them you are grounded :P

• Tanya Tyler

I have a patio garden. I love the little frogs that have come to make a home in it

I agree. My toad keeps changing pots to hide in. A couple nights I looked over at my picture window, while watching TV, and my little toad was on the window. I like to think he was watching TV and snacking on bugs while I was watching and snacking on popcorn.

yesterday

Your post is adorable! It made me laugh and I needed that giggle right about now!