Software
Houzz Logo Print
loripooky

Need ideas for kitchen/dining area - keeping costs in mind!

13 years ago
The kitchen is small - as you can see. We live in a tri-level house & the stairs going up/down open right into the kitchen. Also the dining room (our only space to put a table) is on the other side of the wall with the refrigerator. I have ideas - but would love input from others!

Comments (4)

  • 13 years ago
    Have you thought about putting a slim line fridge where the cart/storage with the butcher block top is?
    There is also room there for an armoire style fridge, but I don't know how slim they are. Your cabinets could be extended and augmented in the former fridge space to replace what you lose from the cart. With the fridge door opening elsewhere, there may be room to put your cart/ in the middle of the space as an island work area. With a non-armoire style fridge, you might have room to tuck a tall pantry cabinet in the corner beside it. This could simply be a slide-out for storage of single cans.
    Other option, if you don't need more cabinetry, would be to open the portion of the wall where the fridge is, so you have more direct access to the dining area. I am assuming increased work space and storage are your priority. Rustoleumtransformations.com may be helpful if you want to change the color of your cabinetry and countertop.
    Electrolux IQ-Touch Series Counter-Depth French-Door Refrigerator · More Info

    Urban Loft - Storage Solutions · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I don't know if it's clear what you're asking help with. Are you looking for a way to create a space to eat in your kitchen or are you looking for a way to create a better flow/access to your living room?

    You could either go with a breakfast nook or if there is the ability to take out the wall where your fridge is to connect the kitchen and living room, while moving your fridge to the small space in the picture near the trashcan.

    There would still be somethings to consider. Would love to hear what you're thinking. Have you talked with a designer, architect, contractor, etc? If you are thinking of taking out that wall, make sure you know whether or not it's load bearing and where the electric runs.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you for your comments. I have little to no counter space - so my thought was to relocate the fridge & remove wall into dining room & open the whole space up. I have not spoken to any contractors or designers yet - I don't believe that is a load bearing wall. I was initially looking for new ideas for giving me more counter space or even making the kitchen look "better" with new ideas. Thanks for the input! I appreciate it!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi loripooky!
    Once again, not sure if you're looking for advice on the design of the room alone, or more along the lines of rearranging the layout, but I definitely think a beautiful backsplash would make your kitchen more special. I love the deep yellow color on the walls. A gorgeous mosaic incorporating that color as well as others in your kitchen would look amazing, and you could do a unique layout that complements the traditional design of your cabinetry. Below are some examples of mosaics using tiles from our site. Hope this helps!