Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valal111

NEWBIE SEED PROJECT Information - Summer 2015

val (MA z6)
8 years ago

I just wanted to post an update regarding the Newbie Seed Project. There has been some conversation on the last thread, the subject being "Newbie Packs Available" which they are no longer, so I didnt want people to get TOO excited yet!

The Newbie Seed project runs in the winter/spring. Bakemom, who started the project and ran it for 10 years, has stepped down after years of hard work and helping possibly thousands of newbies get started!

The project cannot run without the generous donation of extra seeds from seasoned and kind gardeners. Those who can/wish to donate, please email me at Newbieseedproject@gmail.com. Your donations are GREATLY appreciated.

We will post a request for seed donation in the fall, but donations can be sent anytime.

In the winter, I will begin to offer free seed packets to newbies.

THANK YOU to all who donate and all who are interested!

Val

Comments (7)

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    8 years ago

I'll be sending seeds to you tomorrow- 7/6/15. Please let me know when they arrive.

Thanks Val, for taking this on. Jen

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

THANKS Jen!! Will do!

Looking forward to great 11th year/my first--Couldn't do it without all the generous donations!

• docmom_gw
    8 years ago

I wanted to add my thanks to you for taking on this project. I've been an annual donor, and will continue to contribute. Let me know if you need any help. I know my donations are often bulk bags of a ton of one type of seed that would need to be separated. So, if you need smaller envelopes or baggies, I could help with money for those. It doesn't make much sense for me to purchase them and then mail them to you. I wish I could help with the actual packaging. Are you in Michigan, by any chance? Again, my thanks to you for taking this on.

Martha

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Martha

You are very kind! Your seeds will be SO appreciated. You dont have to send $ for baggies/smaller portions. I get them at Walmart (so far, hope they dont stop carrying them!) for $1. I'll take any donations anyone wants to send, tho!

But can't do this without the wonderful seed donations from everyone!

Wish i was closer, But I'm in Mass.

Looking forward to talking to you again soon. Will send my address via Houzz message.
    Val

• bparson08
    8 years ago

Hi Val.

I am a Newbie and am very interested in the Newbie Packs.

When will they become available and how do I get on the list?

I have been gardening for a few years and am very interested in Heirloom Seeds.

Please feel free to email me directly.

Thanks,

Brian

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Brian,

The Newbie Seed project is generally a seasonal thing, we ask for donations in the fall/winter and seeds packs are sent out winter/spring. Basically we send out whatever is donated, and can't promise Heirloom seeds.

You might want to look up the "Adopt a Newbie" thread here on Gardenweb/Houzz, as I believe you can ask to be adopted by a mentor and specify what you are interested in.

If you are still interested in the Newbie Packs, check us out come Fall/Winter for when Seed Packets are ready for distribution.

Have a great summer!
    Best
    Val

Sponsored