Software
Houzz Logo Print
nataliepatton

Black white and grey living room

11 years ago
How do I tie together black white and grey. I have a black leather sofa and black curtains and I'm thinking grey walls with a white picture rail and fire place. I would like a coffee table and side bored but not sure what colour. And a big rug to sit the sofa on I'm thinking grey with a modem white pattern (image 1) is the rug I'm thinking of and (image 2) is something like the look I would like to achieve. It's quite a big room with lovely high celling and a Big bay window. Its a very bright room so can handle the colours. I want it to be very modern and contemporary as I mentioned I've given my daughter a play room so this will be the toy free adults room I've wanted.

Comments (7)

  • 11 years ago
    I love those colours and I love the rug. But I think the room will need a bit of warmth, otherwise it'll feel cold and harsh.

    I'd add lots of texture with cushions and throws, but I'd also add some wood. I would say get the coffee table and sideboard in oak. It can be wood and still modern
  • 11 years ago
    I have considered oak my fear was that it got lost. I originally wanted walnut but it just didn't look right in my head. I will revisit oak though thank you
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hi Natalie,

    Black, white and grey schemes can be very calming and sophisticated thanks to the retrained palette. Be careful not to use greys that have a very cool (blue) base, as they can make a room feel cold and unwelcoming. Try neutral greys. Farrow & Ball have a great range of paint colours (you can always get them colour-matched).

    Pure white used on the woodwork will give you a very crisp, contemporary feel. A softer white will give you a more understated finish.

    For the coffee table and side board, try chrome and glass to bring light into the room.

    If you're considering buying art to help tie it all together, or to add a splash of colour, we've just launched a free new iOS app that lets you try art on your wall to scale before you buy. If the room is for grown-ups, I'd definitely budget for a stunning work that complements and rounds off the sophisticated look you're after.

    You can download from the App Store here: itondo iOS app

    Good luck with the project!


  • 11 years ago
    Itondo thank you very much I'll defiantly have a look and your right about the grey I'll look at the farrow and ball
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    You're welcome, Natalie! Back many moons ago, I painted a room in a grey with a blue base and it was thoroughly depressing, especially in winter. While it is true that cool colours recede and therefore make a room appear larger, it's generally not advisable for grey unless your room is seriously huge and can take the drama. Or if you want to go cool, look for a silvery grey with a touch of lavender to add a sense of warmth (even though it's a cool colour). If the room has a lot of natural daylight, and if it's generally a kid-free space, consider using a flat paint (but use only very good quality paint); it will give a softer effect. Flat paints very gently diffuse light, but they're not the easiest to clean.

    Be careful of warm greys on the wall (yellow or red base) if your room is medium to small, as it will make it feel claustrophobic.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hi Natalie, just adding of Itondo comment, you may also consider to add Golden colour on the accessories to brighten and give a warm touch.

    Chrome is nice and cooling, golden will be more dramatic and blend well with black, either way good luck.