Software
Houzz Logo Print
filwyatt

Hardwood floor dilemma! HELP

11 years ago
I'm looking at getting rid of my tile (that I loved so much 13 yrs ago)! When we built the home we had walnut put down (site finished) in our lr/Dr I want to match it up but have been advised against from a couple of contractors. The finish is a bit off they recommend me pulling it up as well. The hardwood is in great shape and nothing wrong - not to mention if I get rid of it I would also need a divorce lawyer. Im not sure what to do!

Comments (15)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Any flooring professional worth his salt can sand down the old and make the new match all at the same time. Look for a better wood floor pro than you've been talking to.

  • 11 years ago

    Agree with Sophie Wheeler. It is crazy to rip out the site finished hardwood when it can be refinished to match the new.

  • 11 years ago

    Agree with Philosophy. The tile is gorgeous!

  • 11 years ago
    I love your tile with the wood. It makes your home less boring!
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I, too, think the tile is fine....What I would do is paint your walls in a blue to match that fabulous Kravet Latika fabric on the chars.


  • 11 years ago

    I agree with Sophie and Philosophy.

    Your tile is gorgeous, and tearing it out is going to be a huge mess. Why not spend that money on a vacation?

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks for your comments everyone! The tile floor looks really orange to me - and i find the older im getting i want a clean unified look - Im also thinking of giving my kitchen a face lift - as it dated and dark!! maple glazed cabinets, uba tuba granite and tumbled marble backsplash -- thinking of refacing cabinets with shaker style and go white with subway tile and white/gray counters... my house doesnt get a lot of light - want a light/airy feel...

  • 11 years ago
    This is pic of kitchen & hallway!
  • 11 years ago
    I put hardwood in the kitchen 5 years ago but after a gut kitchen job, I could afford to extend the hardwood into the adjoining den. I finally bit the bulletin and extended it. I couldn't get the original so I got as close as I could knowing that if it really bothers me later, they can be refinished in the exact same color later. Call a hardwood restoration specialist instead of a flooring contractor. You'll save the cost of the divorce attorney :)
  • 11 years ago
    "Couldn't afford" -
  • 11 years ago
    Kitchen looks a little dated but you do have a really nice house.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    If your tired of the tile and can afford to change, go for it. I agree you can defiantly find a professional that can match them up. I recently replaced most of the carpet in our house matching it to the existing hardwood on my own. (You can see it all on my blog) my point is if I can figure out how to match it surly a pro can. You could also go with another tile, a stone that is less orange and more neutral.

    By the way LOVE your dining chairs soooooo cute!

    Good Luck,
    Renae
    www.knowtheit.com/blog
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Find another flooring guy.

  • 11 years ago
    Just put site finished walnut in kitchen too, then have them sand your old floors down and finish all rooms same. I like your cabinets counters and backsplash as is